Sponsored by:

2001 corvette dealer recommendation for manual transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 09:31 AM
peace5419
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 corvette dealer recommendation for manual transmission

i took my 2001 corvette to the dealer for an oil change (car has 32000 miles) and was told that i needed fluid changes and flushes (brake, cooling, power steering and manual transmission) i plan to get the first three but the owners manual said that the manual transmission fluid does not need to be changed. this dealer has recommended service in the past that was to pump up the bill. i have not been having any problems with the transmission. do i need the fluid changed?
Old 02-16-2015, 10:42 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

There are tranny fluids you can use that could/should improve the shifting if you feel it should be better. Not at home now with my information on selections.

Same thing for the differential.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:48 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

I would recommend changing to a FULLY synthetic fluid like this

Old 02-16-2015, 11:15 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

If the coolant is original, then a flush and re-fill would be in order. While Dexcool is considered a long-life coolant, it should be changed every 5 years or 50K miles at a minimum.

There's nothing wrong with a complete brake fluid flush and refill. I'll bet the existing fluid is dark (nearly black)? A good DOT3 fluid will be fine for street use. If you want this done, make sure the dealer does a complete flush; some places will simple bleed the brakes by taking 2-3 ounces out at each caliper and then suck out the old fluid from the master cylinder reservoir and re-fill the reservoir. A complete flush should take about 3 pints of fluid and will also include flushing the ABS pump.

As long as the gear oil in the diff and the trans fluid (a synthetic ATF) in the manual trans is showing at the correct level, there's no real reason to change it if the car sees only street use. Same with the power steering fluid. IF the fluid level is where it's supposed to be, it will be fine.

It does sound like the dealer is trying to add unnecessary things to get your money.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:40 AM
peace5419
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you for your help!

Thank you all for your help!

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
If the coolant is original, then a flush and re-fill would be in order. While Dexcool is considered a long-life coolant, it should be changed every 5 years or 50K miles at a minimum.

There's nothing wrong with a complete brake fluid flush and refill. I'll bet the existing fluid is dark (nearly black)? A good DOT3 fluid will be fine for street use. If you want this done, make sure the dealer does a complete flush; some places will simple bleed the brakes by taking 2-3 ounces out at each caliper and then suck out the old fluid from the master cylinder reservoir and re-fill the reservoir. A complete flush should take about 3 pints of fluid and will also include flushing the ABS pump.

As long as the gear oil in the diff and the trans fluid (a synthetic ATF) in the manual trans is showing at the correct level, there's no real reason to change it if the car sees only street use. Same with the power steering fluid. IF the fluid level is where it's supposed to be, it will be fine.

It does sound like the dealer is trying to add unnecessary things to get your money.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:50 AM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,216 Likes on 776 Posts

Having recently bought my 3rd used corvette and several other used vehicles, I always change every fluid no matter how it looks, smells, or has been recently been changed proven by receipts. I do this to establish a bench mark moving forward for my maintance focus. For the little added cost, it makes sense to me and gives me peace of mind.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:30 PM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

I recently changed my m6 fluid to valvoline synthetic and forum feedback suggested i had used the incorrect fluid so i drained it and put in the amsoil 50 dollar a gallon fluid. I can tell no difference, i feel like i wasted about 65 bucks. Oem manual says it never needs changing but i thought i knew more than gm, not. If it ain't broke don't fix it. To each his own just my 2 cents
Old 02-16-2015, 03:36 PM
woodman300
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by bjones7131
I recently changed my m6 fluid to valvoline synthetic and forum feedback suggested i had used the incorrect fluid so i drained it and put in the amsoil 50 dollar a gallon fluid. I can tell no difference, i feel like i wasted about 65 bucks. Oem manual says it never needs changing but i thought i knew more than gm, not. If it ain't broke don't fix it. To each his own just my 2 cents

i know what the gm manual says but there is no way that fluid will last forever. i had only 50k on mine and the shifting was notchy. i changed the fluid to synthetic and it shifts smooth and no troubles for 20k.

Get notified of new replies

To 2001 corvette dealer recommendation for manual transmission

Quick Reply: 2001 corvette dealer recommendation for manual transmission