Could this really happen?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 12:21 PM
lonerider2002
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Could this really happen?

VIN NUMBER - WARNING

Here is INFO worth the price of your car....

WHAT WILL the car thieves THINK OF NEXT?
The car thieves peer through the windshield of your car or vehicle, write down the VIN # from the label on the dash, go to the local car dealership and request a duplicate key based on the VIN #.

I didn't believe this e-mail, so I called Chrysler-Dodge and pretended I had lost my keys. They told me to just bring in the VIN #, and they would cut me one on the spot, and I could order the keyless device if I wanted.

The Car Dealer's Parts Department will make a duplicate key from the VIN #, and collect payment from the thief who will return to your car.

He doesn't have to break in, do any damage to the vehicle, or draw attention to himself. All he has to do is walk up to your car, insert the key and off he goes to a local chop shop with your vehicle.

You don't believe it?

It IS that EASY.

To avoid this from happening to you, simply put some dark tape (electrical tape, duct tape or medical tape) across the VIN Number Metal Label located on the dashboard.

By law, you cannot remove the VIN, but you CAN cover it so it can't be viewed through the windshield by a car thief.

I urge you to forward this to your friends before some other car thief steals another car or truck.

I slipped a 3x5 card over my VIN
NUMBER. PASS THIS INFORMATION ON TO ALL YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS NOW!!!!!

My sister sent this e-mail to me and it got me to thinking if this is really possible. It's saturday afternoon (and snowing like crazy) and I can't get in touch with any dealership but I figured I'd get this out to all of you and if it saves one member from the frustration of having their beloved Vette stolen then it's worth the time.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:26 PM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 376 Posts

Default key cutting

I do not know about all dealerships but the Chevrolet store in my hometown in Illinois requires the registration to the vehicle and also a drivers license to cut a key from the VIN number. This was started because of the exact situation you described.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:32 PM
lonerider2002
Racer

Originally Posted by zachaeous
I do not know about all dealerships but the Chevrolet store in my hometown in Illinois requires the registration to the vehicle and also a drivers license to cut a key from the VIN number. This was started because of the exact situation you described.
I would think that would be required from ALL dealerships but the old adage "you can never be too careful" applies here & I plan on covering up my vin once this foot of snow is gone and she can come out from under her cover.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:53 PM
jhopper408
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Wow I've never thought of that! I bet the dealers don't even ask for ID. But they sure should.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:16 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,303 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

It won't happen around here - the dealers do require proof of registration/ownership and a DL to make a key. I would think dealerships would open themselves to a lawsuit if they cut a key without knowing it was for the legal owner of the car. But, stranger things have happened.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:48 PM
concour77
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure covering up the VIN will offer much protection if is that easy to get a key made. Is fairly easy to get VIN...Carfax will run a report from the license plate number and provide the VIN in the report.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:53 PM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 394 Posts

Needed an extra key to a previous vehicle. Went to the chevy house but they required proof of ownership before they would cut me a new key(didn't have the other one on me). I don't see how any other car would be different.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:05 PM
CQRT
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 295 Likes on 237 Posts

Title/registration and DL generally required . . . .
Old 02-21-2015, 02:54 PM
MAC5
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 148 Posts

I have had dealerships require Drivers license, registration and or title, and proof of insurance.

Last edited by MAC5; 02-21-2015 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:04 PM
Mickeyrx70
Melting Slicks

Received 680 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by MAC5
I have had dealerships required Drivers license, registration and or title, and proof of insurance.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:16 PM
BOUT X
Corvette Cowboy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I read this post this morning so I went over to my neighbors house told him about it he has a new SRT & Chevy Truck got his vin. #'s So around noon GF and I went out to run errands I was telling her about this and said I wonder if it can be done. I stopped at Chevy Dealer they needed all kinds of proof to get one. Then we went to Dodge and crazy enough guy was willing to cut me keys and sell me FOB With no info required I then asked if thier was a manager around and told him what I was doing and that the car was not mine. He said that it was not thier policy to check info I asked why not he then was done talking to me so I will contact the GM at the dealership on Monday and share with him what I was doing.

Pops
Old 02-21-2015, 07:28 PM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Email forwards are fun.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:45 PM
lonerider2002
Racer

Originally Posted by BOUT X
I read this post this morning so I went over to my neighbors house told him about it he has a new SRT & Chevy Truck got his vin. #'s So around noon GF and I went out to run errands I was telling her about this and said I wonder if it can be done. I stopped at Chevy Dealer they needed all kinds of proof to get one. Then we went to Dodge and crazy enough guy was willing to cut me keys and sell me FOB With no info required I then asked if thier was a manager around and told him what I was doing and that the car was not mine. He said that it was not thier policy to check info I asked why not he then was done talking to me so I will contact the GM at the dealership on Monday and share with him what I was doing.

Pops
I plan on checking with the two main GM dealerships here as well on Mon just to see what kind of response I get--will post results later that day. It would be interesting to see what other GM dealer policies are concerning this.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:33 PM
lonerider2002
Racer

Here's a little clarification on this subject---

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings...vVa97zmSIVc.03
Old 02-21-2015, 10:52 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

I would be more worried about "inside" jobs from employees at a Dealership who have all that info and access.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:59 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Rather than copy VIN to make duplicate keys, crooks use those VINS on stolen automobiles. They install the stolen VINS on stolen automobiles then can use all types of crooked schemes to make money. They can sell same type of car with doctored VIN or report accident and pocket insurance money for example.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:45 AM
mike5511
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zachaeous
Yeah but you know the rules aren't always followed no matter what you are doing. One little crook in the parts department could provide keys for some easy side money.

Get notified of new replies

To Could this really happen?

Old 02-22-2015, 10:54 AM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,209 Posts

A number of years ago, GM implemented a process for all GM dealers to follow that makes it impossible to do what the OP described. If the dealer follows the process, nobody can simply get some keys cut for a GM vehicle with nothing more than a VIN. Reprinted invoices will not even carry the key code info - only the original invoice to the original dealer who ordered the car has key code info.

GM implemented this process to help reduce vehicle theft, particularly theft from dealer inventory. There was no law requiring this change in policy - just a recognition of the need to do something.

It can be a PITA in certain circumstances for legit customers who need new keys cut. Once again, thank you a**hole criminals for making things more difficult for the rest of us.

I do not know whether other OEMs have implemented similar processes or not. Based upon the above, it would appear that Fiat/Chrysler has not.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:01 AM
Bud Doggin
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because thief's need keys to steal cars...... lol
Old 02-22-2015, 11:34 AM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud Doggin
Because thief's need keys to steal cars...... lol
Of course thieves don't need keys to steal cars - but GM's position was (and is) why hand them a key to steal cars?

Quick Reply: Could this really happen?