XS Power Headers

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 06:08 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Originally Posted by grantv
Are you talking about the flanges down by the cat pocket/header collectors? My TSP's went up past those, but they are awfully close (maybe 1/4" - 3/8") now that they're tightened down. Wondering if they'll hit when the engine moves actually...
the body flange where two body metals meet and are spot welded, that's the best way for me to describe it .
Old 03-02-2015, 03:13 PM
RIPPENIT
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default group buy headers

these things are great went in easy did not even have to remove the alt I just loosened up the starter and went right in done in 3 hours
Old 03-02-2015, 03:38 PM
skip1980
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPPENIT
these things are great went in easy did not even have to remove the alt I just loosened up the starter and went right in done in 3 hours
Glad to hear. Looking foward to getting mine on sometime this spring. Any issues with clearance with the steering shaft or a/c line?
Old 03-02-2015, 03:43 PM
skip1980
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Also did you install from the top or bottom?
Old 03-02-2015, 04:04 PM
RIPPENIT
Racer

Default headers

Originally Posted by skip1980
Also did you install from the top or bottom?

everything cleared perfect no problem and install from the bottom also it would be good idea to change plugs at this time because you will have the coil packs off already
Old 03-02-2015, 05:28 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Why are you removing coil packs ?? they're on top of the valve covers...
Old 03-02-2015, 05:45 PM
RIPPENIT
Racer

Default reply

Originally Posted by Sinister-one
Why are you removing coil packs ?? they're on top of the valve covers...
you don't have to but it makes it a hell of a lot easier to work in their it just 5 bolts and the whole pack comes off and you get to clean behind the coil packs
Old 03-02-2015, 09:48 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by skip1980
Glad to hear. Looking foward to getting mine on sometime this spring. Any issues with clearance with the steering shaft or a/c line?
I have almost an 1/8 of an inch clearance for the steering shaft and maybe an inch for the ac line (I read one post where he said the headers burned a hole in his ac line) I wrapped mine with header tape.
Old 03-03-2015, 08:45 AM
jmurray87
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick question on these, I have a friend I work with that will be putting these on for me since he has a lift (we work at a shop) he was saying that I will need to call and see how much it will cost and if anything else is needed to have the California emissions deleted from my car? Any idea what hes talking about I figured all the cars were the same and these should just bolt up just fine and just need a regular tune later on.

My car is a 04.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:21 AM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

you don't have to but it makes it a hell of a lot easier to work in their it just 5 bolts and the whole pack comes off and you get to clean behind the coil packs

My engine bay gets washed once every 2 weeks at the self-serve car wash. Pressure sprayer removes EVERYTHING !!
Old 03-04-2015, 09:02 PM
Hawkdriver
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sinister-one
My engine bay gets washed once every 2 weeks at the self-serve car wash. Pressure sprayer removes EVERYTHING !!
How do you do this? What do you cover? Sorry, off topic!
Old 03-21-2015, 08:46 PM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts

I had to bang the hell out of my left header to get clearance around the steering shaft...man that hurt on such nice looking headers. Now it's not a problem.

Quick question: What did everyone use to bolt the catbacks to the headers? The stock h-pipe is threaded for bolts, but the XS Power ones aren't. Mine didn't come with new bolts for those, were they supposed to? If not, so much for everything being included, I'll have to run to the hardware store in the morning.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:59 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DetroitPlac
I had to bang the hell out of my left header to get clearance around the steering shaft...man that hurt on such nice looking headers. Now it's not a problem.

Quick question: What did everyone use to bolt the catbacks to the headers? The stock h-pipe is threaded for bolts, but the XS Power ones aren't. Mine didn't come with new bolts for those, were they supposed to? If not, so much for everything being included, I'll have to run to the hardware store in the morning.
I have a lot of misc. nuts and bolts I just used a standard 3/8 bolt and nut with washers.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:10 AM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

Unfortunately, I don't. But I did discover that you can use the original cat back bolts with the stock nuts from the h-pipe to exhaust manifold connection. Now I don't have to worry too much about losing track of the nuts, just 2 left.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:27 PM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

It finally rained enough yesterday to wash the salt off the roads here in Detroit, so I got the car buttoned up this morning and took it for a drive. Man, these headers sound incredible when paired with Ti's. Almost stock when cruising around, and it WAILS when you get on it.

But I do have a question for those that installed these. The wire for cylinder 4 makes contact with the primary on my car. I bought new GM Red wires with heat socks (and reused the stock aluminum shields), and when I got back from my drive, I popped the hood and noticed smoke coming out from inside the sock (between the sock and the wire). I let the car cool down and pulled that wire and didn't see any indication of damage, so I'm hoping it was just a break-in type thing with the sock. The sock doesn't appear to have any burns or damage. Anyone have this issue and any thoughts around it?

Old 03-28-2015, 08:32 PM
3ACROWD
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

I ordered mine today The guide on the web site seems well put together so I'll see when it's time to hit the wrenches.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:48 PM
bpenn8966
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It finally rained enough yesterday to wash the salt off the roads here in Detroit, so I got the car buttoned up this morning and took it for a drive. Man, these headers sound incredible when paired with Ti's. Almost stock when cruising around, and it WAILS when you get on it.

But I do have a question for those that installed these. The wire for cylinder 4 makes contact with the primary on my car. I bought new GM Red wires with heat socks (and reused the stock aluminum shields), and when I got back from my drive, I popped the hood and noticed smoke coming out from inside the sock (between the sock and the wire). I let the car cool down and pulled that wire and didn't see any indication of damage, so I'm hoping it was just a break-in type thing with the sock. The sock doesn't appear to have any burns or damage. Anyone have this issue and any thoughts around it?

I had the same problem with mine, even had the heat sock on there. Problem was after a while the heat sock was fine but it cooked my boot and plug wire inside the sock. I ended up going with the MSD wires with the bendable boot. Haven't had a problem since.

Get notified of new replies

To XS Power Headers

Old 03-28-2015, 09:28 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

After I got mine running I saw the smoke from #4 also, I shut it off and took the sock off and it was starting to burn the plug boot. I also am using gm red wires with Summit socks. I could not use the metal boot cause the sock wasn't big enough. I am not using the air system and I saw that the pipe for the air was pushing the wire assembly towards the header. I heated it up and bent it out of the way. When I get it on the road (Monday I hope) I am going to a friends shop to take the air tube off and weld it shut. I also used header wrap on the part of the header. Hopefully after a test run it will be good????
Old 03-29-2015, 11:07 AM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

Did bending the AIR tube help move the wire away from the primary? I did an AIR delete on my car and could bend it out of the way.

I bought these red wires brand new for this project, and I really don't want to replace them with MSDs. I would have bought MSDs from the get-go had I known. Does anyone know if you can buy just one MSD wire?
Old 03-29-2015, 11:55 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Did bending the AIR tube help move the wire away from the primary? I did an AIR delete on my car and could bend it out of the way.

I bought these red wires brand new for this project, and I really don't want to replace them with MSDs. I would have bought MSDs from the get-go had I known. Does anyone know if you can buy just one MSD wire?
Yes it stopped the pressure forcing it towards the header, I also did the same as you with the GM red wires and socks. I also hope it's fixed because I don't think you can buy one wire ??? The header wrap on that tube should take care of future burns(I hope) It does not give me the look I'm after but I'm a function over looks person !!!

Quick Reply: XS Power Headers