Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speeding Ticket possible error any Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 11:41 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,309 Likes on 13,980 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good luck, hope you can work out some sort of deal to your favor.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:04 AM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Did your speedometer agree with your cruise control set-speed on the DIC?

Did you switch to 40" rims lately?

If not...

Old 02-27-2015, 04:23 AM
John Madeja
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by akapounder
John this is my 2 cents worth, it's my understanding that if you are with the flow of traffic they don't normally ticket you unless you are in and out of lanes. I once got a ticket for following too close(to a cop) in Traverse City,i lived in Grand Rapids (300 miles) Iwas working in a front end shop and one of my bosses best friend was a lawyer and he said they cannot give you that ticket unless you hit someone in the rear,he said he could get that thrown out in a second, but being 300 away one way he would have to charge $600.00 for a two way trip (100 an hour back then) I just paid it, than my insurance went way up ,bottom line they said I couldn't get that ticket unless I hit someone. Sorry for the long rant but what I am saying sometimes it's worth it to fight it. Also I would like to think you could tell a 10 mph difference, and also use that to plead your case ???????
Understand...and i wasnt flowing in and out of traffic like i said i was moving with the rest of traffic with my cruise on....yes i was in the left hand lane (fast/passing lane) obviously passing cars going slower in the slow/right hand lanes but there were people close to me in the front and behind me and all around like i said it was 5 oclock and rush hour and i wasnt weaving in and out of traffic so how could i have been going 89 withouy creaming someone in front of me....

Its simple i wasnt going that fast lol i was going 79-80 which is 10 over

And he wrote me for 11-15 over which is three point and a bigger fine if he had just given me a 5 over with no points i would have just paid the fine since i was going more then 5 over but the problem here is that i was not even doing 11 over...

Like i said id like to not get a lawyer as they will end up costing me more then the ticket and premium jump will cost me, and in michigan a lot of my friends or family have pleaded their tickets down to no points but still a fine but ive never heard of anyone of them getting hit with a bigger ticket normally its always been like going 5-10 over or running a yellow etc.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:25 AM
John Madeja
Racer

Originally Posted by Choreo
Did your speedometer agree with your cruise control set-speed on the DIC?

Did you switch to 40" rims lately?

If not...
Lol i wish i could call saul and no it was my dd and my speedi said 80
Old 02-27-2015, 04:52 AM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,221 Likes on 2,303 Posts

First thing I'd do is take a GPS with me and double check the speedometer for future reference. Second thing I'd do is pay the fine and not drive 89mph during rush hour in heavy traffic. But that's just me.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:38 AM
tcrote5516
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Scraping the bottom of the barrel of defences here but, what about taking the car to a shop with a dyno and getting a statement from the shop showing your gauges were off and you were unaware? (Assuming what you say is correct) It's not a free pass since the difference would still put you over the limit but it may help your case in that you were going with the flow of traffic. 90% of people do speed to some degree but your going to have a tough time telling the court that the flow of traffic was 1mph short of 90mph at rush hour.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:22 AM
John Madeja
Racer

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
First thing I'd do is take a GPS with me and double check the speedometer for future reference. Second thing I'd do is pay the fine and not drive 89mph during rush hour in heavy traffic. But that's just me.
I have a gps so I can try that when I get home from work, and like I said before I wasn't driving 89mph I don't think it's possible to go 90 in rush hour traffic when everyone else is going 70-80 I'm pretty sure I would've noticed the difference in speed when I had to keep weaving in and out of traffic (obviously I wasn't I was in one lane just hanging out in the flow)

Originally Posted by tcrote5516
Scraping the bottom of the barrel of defences here but, what about taking the car to a shop with a dyno and getting a statement from the shop showing your gauges were off and you were unaware? (Assuming what you say is correct) It's not a free pass since the difference would still put you over the limit but it may help your case in that you were going with the flow of traffic. 90% of people do speed to some degree but your going to have a tough time telling the court that the flow of traffic was 1mph short of 90mph at rush hour.
to expensive I'll try the gps thing above first lol
Old 02-27-2015, 07:40 AM
norcalace
Burning Brakes

Received 234 Likes on 137 Posts

Who drives in "heavy, rush hour traffic" with their cruise control on? Just sayin.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:46 AM
AllFlash
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 239 Posts

If we are hitting the 'just sayin'...stand up, admit you werent watching your speedo at that time, pay the ticket or go and ask for leniency. You can't play the system and the courts have heard the same stories over and over and over. He couldn't have seen me in crowded traffic" "He only had a second of clear view so it had to be another" "My cruise was on".

The only way you are getting help here is to ask for leniency or MAN UP and pay the ticket. Most cops get hours deducted now for not going to court so don't hope he doesn't show, especially if that is a community that relies on ticket revenue.

Truth probably is that you didnt have a clue how fast you were going so the cruise control was a great idea, until you remembered about being in with a crowd of vehicles where your cruise wouldn't be on because NOBODY has there cruise on in a crowd.

Just sayin'....man up and stop looking for every excuse in the book for your breaking of the law.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:27 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Or, try a VERY basic defense......

Your honor, how could I have POSSIBLY been going 90 MPH in 5 o'clock, rush hour traffic???? There HAS to be a mistake here!!
Old 02-27-2015, 08:31 AM
John Madeja
Racer

Originally Posted by AllFlash
If we are hitting the 'just sayin'...stand up, admit you werent watching your speedo at that time, pay the ticket or go and ask for leniency. You can't play the system and the courts have heard the same stories over and over and over. He couldn't have seen me in crowded traffic" "He only had a second of clear view so it had to be another" "My cruise was on".

The only way you are getting help here is to ask for leniency or MAN UP and pay the ticket. Most cops get hours deducted now for not going to court so don't hope he doesn't show, especially if that is a community that relies on ticket revenue.

Truth probably is that you didnt have a clue how fast you were going so the cruise control was a great idea, until you remembered about being in with a crowd of vehicles where your cruise wouldn't be on because NOBODY has there cruise on in a crowd.

Just sayin'....man up and stop looking for every excuse in the book for your breaking of the law.
Alright i'll "MAN UP!" I drive 80 miles one way back and forth from work on roads that range from 4-5 lanes to 2 lanes all basically freeway, actually only 6 of those 80 miles are not freeway so YES I DO USE CRUISE CONTROL....I actually use it every single day driving back and forth It's not LA Rush hour traffic where youre 5 feet from the person in front of you of course I wouldn't use cruise control then but 60 out of my 72 miles drive on the freeway I can use cruise control with the occasional tap on the breaks when i need to stop.

sorry that you don't like cruise control and I know plenty of people that use cruise every day even in busier traffic so you're generalization is like saying all corvette or truck owners have small dicks lol

There is nothing to man up too here I came here to ask for advice because I believe there was a legitimate error in the use of the laser and to ask other peoples opinion on how they have dealt with this issue and for any shred of advice or reasoning as to why the the cop says i was going 10 over what my speedo said. I have no issue paying a fine if thats what it was but he hit me up for 15 over which is 3 points to my record which has been up to this point Sparkling Clean...It's not like I have 12 speeding tickets and am a high risk driver that's looking to beat the system and get out of a ticket...

Am I trying to get out of the ticket...hell yeah I am...Do I believe I was marked with an error or pulled over by error sure F**ing do lol

With all that being said I'm just going to follow some advice given and continue to be respectful, dress nicely, and make sure I present my side of the story and facts the best to my knowledge and I'll have to update you guys when this is settled until then

Thank you for the help
Old 02-27-2015, 08:33 AM
John Madeja
Racer

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Or, try a VERY basic defense......

Your honor, how could I have POSSIBLY been going 90 MPH in 5 o'clock, rush hour traffic???? There HAS to be a mistake here!!
I sense sarcasm? or very serious post lol
Old 02-27-2015, 08:50 AM
raydawg357
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Even though the laser is accurate, there is a small chance that it could have been out of calibration. You can request the calibration records but it's a long shot. I've heard instances where speeding tickets were dismissed because of this.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:03 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by John Madeja
I sense sarcasm? or very serious post lol
I mean it seriously......where I live, being able to go 50 MPH at rush hour, is pushing it, let alone 90!
Old 02-27-2015, 09:14 AM
AllFlash
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 239 Posts

OK let's try it this way...and I will be the first to say the fact that we have become a society where people cannot stand up for their actions, or the possibility that they weren't sure of their actions pisses me off. Everyones first reaction is simply what can I do to protect number 1... We have fallen so as people because of just this. People can't just say, "Ya maybe I ****ed up. I'm not sure" So what do you do...cost us taxpayers because you will do anything you can to get out of it...

OK... rush hour traffic, cruise control, officer saw you last minute and you had your cruise control set at 79...or 80. Are you aware that, in cruise your speed fluctuates, annulling any consideration whatsoever by the court? Are you aware that you have yet to say how fast you were going, only that you know you weren't going that fast. You have done everything every person who is trying to cover their *** does...over and over and over again. Yopu have yet to state your speed, which in a way is to your credit because an honest person JUST CAN'T LIE THAT WELL when they have to.

So let's try it from a different angle. PLEAD NOT GUILTY! Don't accept any reduction. Go to court, stand by your word and walk out with less money in your pocket but with your head high knowing you stood by your belief.

How much do we wanna bet that just isn't going to happen? What has happened to just standing up for the truth? And let me be very clear... no ****ing sarcasm whatsoever here...just brutal honesty.

Last edited by AllFlash; 02-27-2015 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:22 AM
Fast Cop
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

"honestly i wasnt going 89"

I have been a cop for 28 years. Wish I had a dollar every time I heard that.

Oh and for everyone who says cops never get tickets, well I got a ticket comming back from Talladega 2 years ago. Traffic was heavy after the race and the cop got me. Next day I went on line and paid it, you know why I paid it, because I was speeding. Were the others around me speeding, hell yea. It's like when you go fishing - do you catch every fish in the lake? No. Same with traffic speed enforcement, do you get everyone that is speeding? No.

Last edited by Fast Cop; 02-27-2015 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:37 AM
chough262
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good Luck. I also was radared at 984' and written a ticket in Michigan. I agreed that i was speeding and didn't think i was going 86 MPH. The court said that laser is accurate at 1000' or more. Told me to pay up and shut up...You can try, but my suspicion in that you will have to pay

Get notified of new replies

To Speeding Ticket possible error any Advice?

Old 02-27-2015, 09:39 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by 65ggvert
first thing i'd do is take a gps with me and double check the speedometer for future reference. Second thing i'd do is pay the fine and not drive 89mph during rush hour in heavy traffic. But that's just me.
yup
Old 02-27-2015, 12:49 PM
Ryan427
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
+1. Lots of good free apps for that, and should easily tell you if your speedo is way off.

Originally Posted by John Madeja
I don't think it's possible to go 90 in rush hour traffic when everyone else is going 70-80
Oh it DEFINITELY is possible ... I have a, er, friend who said he did it once...
Also, I would sure love it if our "rush hour traffic" around here flowed at 70-80!

Originally Posted by chough262
The court said that laser is accurate at 1000' or more.
My policeman friend says he gets accurate readings at up to 1000 yards with his laser.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:07 PM
John Madeja
Racer

Originally Posted by AllFlash
OK let's try it this way...and I will be the first to say the fact that we have become a society where people cannot stand up for their actions, or the possibility that they weren't sure of their actions pisses me off. Everyones first reaction is simply what can I do to protect number 1... We have fallen so as people because of just this. People can't just say, "Ya maybe I ****ed up. I'm not sure" So what do you do...cost us taxpayers because you will do anything you can to get out of it...

OK... rush hour traffic, cruise control, officer saw you last minute and you had your cruise control set at 79...or 80. Are you aware that, in cruise your speed fluctuates, annulling any consideration whatsoever by the court? Are you aware that you have yet to say how fast you were going, only that you know you weren't going that fast. You have done everything every person who is trying to cover their *** does...over and over and over again. Yopu have yet to state your speed, which in a way is to your credit because an honest person JUST CAN'T LIE THAT WELL when they have to.

So let's try it from a different angle. PLEAD NOT GUILTY! Don't accept any reduction. Go to court, stand by your word and walk out with less money in your pocket but with your head high knowing you stood by your belief.

How much do we wanna bet that just isn't going to happen? What has happened to just standing up for the truth? And let me be very clear... no ****ing sarcasm whatsoever here...just brutal honesty.
Obviously you haven't been reading my full post

I have stated multiple times my cruise was set to 79 to 80 I don't understand how I have not stated what my speed was? unless you're not understanding what I'm saying or vice versa

@ Fast Cop
Well you'd be rich wouldn't you
however in this case I did have my cruise set, thats the whole point I even bothered this forum with this thread because I don't know Jack about Lasers or Radars really and wanted to know why the cop was saying I was going 89 when I had my cruise set, I didn't know if he got a bad reading or how it worked.

Are you saying in your 28 years as being a cop you never once got a bad radar or laser reading?

Quick Reply: Speeding Ticket possible error any Advice?