Sponsored by:

clean air oil separator?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 09:02 PM
Impulsive goat
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default clean air oil separator?

Hey guys I was looking into putting a catch can on the vette and came across the clean oil air separator from elite engineering. Is this something that us c5 guys can use or is it a forced induction thing.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:12 PM
Bill Vett
Safety Car

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Its something everyone can use and probably should use. I have an EE catch can on my non forced induction car

Old 02-26-2015, 10:28 PM
momo20
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

i have one on my supercharged c5 z06 i went with the mighty mouse one and i love it
Old 02-26-2015, 11:01 PM
Impulsive goat
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i'm all for a catch can but my question was more specifically about the clean air oil separator that elite engineering offers.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:26 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

elite makes a nice can, it is designed to actually work unlike some other cans on the market... one thing I like about them is that you can completely disassemble the innards and clean it out or replace the desiccant if you ever needed to... it should work fine on an n/a motor, on a boosted motor I would opt for something with bigger fittings to let the engine breathe better... another good one to look at is saikoumichi, they have a funny name but they make a good catch can... I ran one on 2 different cars for about a 5 year period until I ended up boosting my current car and changed the setup but it worked great when I had it

edit:
whoops sorry about that... I thought you were talking about their catch can, I didn't even realize they had a clean air separator... I have no experience with that

Last edited by neutron82; 02-27-2015 at 01:29 AM.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:18 AM
PhysicsDude55
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Catch cans and breathers are basically a necessity for F/I cars, but they're very beneficial to N/A cars as well.

In stock form the crankcase vent oil goes into the intake, misting oil onto your intake system. With a catch can, it keeps your throttle body, intake, heads, and valves quite a bit cleaner.

EDIT: Also didn't realize that EE had come out with this product which is not really a catch can. Still looks like it would do the same job of preventing oil mist getting into the intake. Seems like a reasonable investment to me.

Last edited by PhysicsDude55; 02-27-2015 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:34 AM
Bill Vett
Safety Car

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Sorry about my post, your question left me to believe you were asking about an EE catch can. After looking on EE's website I still think that their catch can would be a better idea. Even if you ever changed you mind down the road you could still sell the catch can with very little loss and purchase the oil separator. EE catch cans don't last long when posted in parts for sale section, and retain about 80% of their original price. Good luck on your decision but as I said I'd go with the catch can it works great.

Get notified of new replies

To clean air oil separator?

Quick Reply: clean air oil separator?