Noob owner, noob here, noob questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 04:09 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

[QUOTE=J.Ho;1589065689]
Originally Posted by 73Corvette

Noticed your avatar immediately... that would be some fun roads. 150? Good lawd. And here I thought my 110 was opening it up.
Funny it is way more fun in Arkansas, Colorado, or some other winding mountainy highways... but for opening one up, home is ok if you don't hit a deer, pheasant, armadillo, jack rabbit, pot hole, or some other unexpected hazard at 150mph... won't happen again.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:12 PM
J.Ho
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SG Lou
Congrats on your "New"C5

As for the Check Engine Light, before i'd jump to any conclusions I would pull all of the codes. There are two types of diagnostic codes, Current and History designated with a letter suffix, “C” or “H”. A current code indicates a malfunction is present in the module displaying data. A history code indicates a problem existed sometime in the last 40 or 50 ignition cycles. Make note if they are History or Current Codes and post them here so we can all see what you got going on !
An alternative is to, again, mark down all of the codes. clear them all and then drive the car for a few days and see what code reappears. That should give us all an idea of whats going on with your C5 .
Ok great and thanks again to all of you.

I cleared the codes and the light went out. It came back on after three starts. I'm just getting the hang of scrolling through the codes so I accident erased one of the first folders. I've rewatched the video so this next time I'll be sure to properly grab them.

Got to say I got my hopes up that my mechanic simply didn't erase the codes after working on the car lol.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:14 PM
J.Ho
Intermediate

[QUOTE=73Corvette;1589065733]
Originally Posted by J.Ho

Funny it is way more fun in Arkansas, Colorado, or some other winding mountainy highways... but for opening one up, home is ok if you don't hit a deer, pheasant, armadillo, jack rabbit, pot hole, or some other unexpected hazard at 150mph... won't happen again.
No doubt! I'm a private pilot so a runway was the first thing that popped in my mind.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:17 PM
mclaugj
Instructor

This Gas leak problem you refer to was it a recall. Has anyone else on the Forum heard of this problem.

Not sure 14k is Crazy low...but it is low. Crazy would be like 5 miles...

Glad you found it and it will be a fun ride...Congrats!
We have a 04 vert 6 spd .. is yours auto or manual?

You also have an RPO list on the inside lid of your glove gox that will tell you about the equipment on your car...

Some of the 04 cars had problems with gas leaks... 2004 Chevrolet Corvette
VIN 45110258 to 45125500 are the cars that were affected.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:53 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by mclaugj
This Gas leak problem you refer to was it a recall. Has anyone else on the Forum heard of this problem.
It was a recall of sorts...There was a special warranty coverage adjustment which does not recall the cars but only extends the warranty on the item in question, in this case to 10-yrs or 100,000 miles. The coverage is very limited in scope and covers only the quick connectors used to link the two tanks, ie: the problem is not the tanks themselves, but the connectors. Also it only involved 04's that fell into the Serial Number range between VIN 45110258 to 45125500 .

If your VIN # isn't effected then I wouldn't worry about it. But the alloted time frame has also expired so there is really nothing you can do about it even if your car's VIN is in that list.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:58 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

It was a recall of sorts...There was a special warranty coverage adjustment which does not recall the cars but only extends the warranty on the item in question, in this case to 10-yrs or 100,000 miles. The coverage is very limited in scope and covers only the quick connectors used to link the two tanks, ie: the problem is not the tanks themselves, but the connectors. Also it only involved 04's that fell into the Serial Number range between VIN 45110258 to 45125500 .

If your VIN # isn't effected then I wouldn't worry about it. But the alloted time frame has also expired so there is really nothing you can do about it even if your car's VIN is in that list.
Nailed it... gas leak was just simpler. Thank you Lou
Old 02-27-2015, 09:42 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Thought you might enjoy this

● The little yellow “helper light” on the bottom of the rear-view mirror that illuminates the shifter area.
● That you can put your key in the driver’s door and turn it twice towards the front to unlock the passenger door and a third time to pop the trunk.
● That you can pop the trunk and also pop the gas cap cover by pulling on metal lines hidden in the back.
● The little slotted cover on the dash behind the steering wheel is where the inside air temperature sensor is located.
● All of the option codes are in the glove box.
● Tire inflation recommended pressures are on the driver’s door.
● The thing that looks like a little LED near the DIC buttons is a light sensor.
● The thing that looks like a little LED near the defroster vent is a UV sensor for determining A/C usage to compensate for the heating effect of the sun.
● The build sheet is in the front re-bar.
● If you leave your turn signal on, in about 1 minute it will start to ding (loud enough to hear over the stereo) to let you know you have old timers disease.
● You can reset the oil life by pumping the gas pedal 3 times (but not with the engine running).
● Hold down the reset button while on one of the trip odometers and it changes that reading to the miles you’ve traveled since last starting the engine.
● Hold down the Active Handling button for 5 sec. to engage “Competitive Driving” on cars equipped with active handling (2000 and previous years must be stopped.)
● If you pull the seatbelts all the way out while you’re buckled in, they ratchet back in to hold you tighter into the seat. (then move the seat forward to make it extra snug -- Leafty)
● Simply remove fuse #2 under the hood and your DRLs will be out permanently. Only thing affected is that when you unlock at night using the key fob your front turn signal lights and back up lights will not flash. Your front turn signals will operate normally, however.
● The side-view mirrors can twist both forward and backward, decreasing the chance of damage if struck.
● There is a release opening with a flap to let air out of the car when the hatch is closed. It is located just above the driver side rear compartment behind the carpet and on the side of the car. Not that it really works well.
● Also you can ground your amp to a screw/bolt that holds the rear middle compartment to the frame.
● If you have a 6-speed car you can pop the trunk when the car is running by lifting the e-brake.
● There is a spot on the driver side just out of the middle compartment under the carpet for the lug nut key. You should have a compartment on the drivers & passenger’s side (in the trunk) and a center compartment. On the left (drivers) side of the center compartment, on the left side where the center cover fits, there is an ‘indent’ that holds the wheel lock key.
● If you turn on the headlights, then go to parking light position, the lamps remain up but the headlights are not left on.
● If you have the passive entry feature: If you lock the keys in the car, wait a few minutes and then shake the car. That will unlock the car.
● HUD has a shift light for the manuals.
● You can easily shift the M6 trans up or down without the clutch if you match revs. (Not great for longevity, however.)
● You can eject the cd from the in-dash player without turning on any power. Don’t even need key in the ignition.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:48 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Nice to have a copy of this in the glove box...

How to Pull Codes:
1. Turn your key to the "ON" position, but do not start the engine.
2. Clear any present messages by pressing the RESET button.
3. Hold the OPTIONS button down, and press the FUEL button 4 times. (This will get you into the "codes" section of the DIC.
4. The computer will automatically display all the codes your car has created. It will cycle through each code every 3 seconds. (Have a pen and paper handy to write down the codes)

Note: Any code that ends in an "H" is a history code (something that has occurred in the past, but is not reporting as an error currently.)

5. Once the computer has finished going through all of its codes, press RESET to enter Manual Configuration mode. It should start with a module and show "NO CODES" or "# Codes."
6. To optionally reset codes once in manual mode, press and hold RESET until is displays "NO CODES."
7. Press OPTIONS to go into the next module (ie, from PCM, or Powertrain Control Module, to TCS, or Traction Control System.)
8. Repeat Step 6 until you have reset all the codes in all the computer modules.

Note: Only reset the codes if you want to- it is not necessary to reset them every time you pull the codes.

9. When finished, simply take your key out of the ignition.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:58 PM
Crosis
Drifting

Received 420 Likes on 281 Posts

Hey 73, thank you. Dang 1400mi/yr isn't crazy low? Tough room :P

It is an automatic. The car is not without it's flaws but the 3 piece, body matching custom painted wheels really set this lowered Vette apart from the crowd. Once I get everything fixed how I like I think I'll be happy with my purchase.
Not in the Corvette world. There are many examples of C5s with mileage like that. Many Corvettes are garage queens that only see the light of day once a week if they are lucky.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:00 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Hey 73, thank you. Dang 1400mi/yr isn't crazy low? Tough room :P
Many of us got our cars used with very low miles... these cars are commonly driven very little. My 03 had 17k miles when I bought it a year and a half ago, and I test-drove an 04 with 12k-14k miles before I bought my 03. Mine is only at 21k now, and a thousand of those were just driving it home.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:01 PM
mclaugj
Instructor

Thanks for your reply SGLou. Here's what's going on I'm looking at a 2004 and the VIN # is in the range. The C5 has 22000 miles on it. I'm buying it from a distance. I have not seen the car yet but will be taking a trip shortly. If the gas leak problem has not been repaired should I take a chance and buy the car or just keep looking.

Old 02-27-2015, 11:10 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Thanks for your reply SGLou. Here's what's going on I'm looking at a 2004 and the VIN # is in the range. The C5 has 22000 miles on it. I'm buying it from a distance. I have not seen the car yet but will be taking a trip shortly. If the gas leak problem has not been repaired should I take a chance and buy the car or just keep looking.
You can find out if the repairs were made.. First of all, I can safely assume that you already have the VIN being you looked it up to see if this 04 falls into the repair category. Take the VIN to ANY Chevy Dealer and they can look it up to see if it was done under the Extended Warranty. As for taking the chance? That my friend is up to you.
If the repairs were not done you have one of two option: First, While your at the dealer you can ask them, if the repair wasn't done how much would it cost? Then, armed with that info, you can negotiate with the seller. Explain to him whats involved with the repair and how much it will cost and try to get the Repairs total amount deducted from the the actual selling price. The other option is pay for the repairs yourself. IMO, I'd go with the first option

Last edited by SG Lou; 02-27-2015 at 11:12 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:17 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Nailed it... gas leak was just simpler. Thank you Lou
To be perfectly honest 73C, I didn't see that you already posted the "gas leak" and the serial numbers info before I shot my mouth off ! .....my bad
Old 02-27-2015, 11:29 PM
J.Ho
Intermediate

Thanks so much 73, great information.

Ok, cleared it multiple times and this is the only code I'm seeing: 10PCM - P0449 HC

Did a Google search on the code and a thread in this fine forum showed up... I think I got the check engine light the first time immediately after I refueled. Now I've refueled and cleared the code multiple times since first seeing the light so it might be a fuel cap O ring issue. The car would also go dead on the first crank after refueling. Hoping it's something this simple!

Mechanic just replaced rear solenoid so I know it isn't that.

Last edited by J.Ho; 02-28-2015 at 06:37 AM.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:29 PM
mclaugj
Instructor

Thanks again SGLou for the quick reply and the good information. I have some thinking to do and I will definitely check the VIN # out with a local Chevy dealer.

You can find out if the repairs were made.. First of all, I can safely assume that you already have the VIN being you looked it up to see if this 04 falls into the repair category. Take the VIN to ANY Chevy Dealer and they can look it up to see if it was done under the Extended Warranty. As for taking the chance? That my friend is up to you.
If the repairs were not done you have one of two option: First, While your at the dealer you can ask them, if the repair wasn't done how much would it cost? Then, armed with that info, you can negotiate with the seller. Explain to him whats involved with the repair and how much it will cost and try to get the Repairs total amount deducted from the the actual selling price. The other option is pay for the repairs yourself. IMO, I'd go with the first option :thumbs:
Old 02-28-2015, 12:34 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

To be perfectly honest 73C, I didn't see that you already posted the "gas leak" and the serial numbers info before I shot my mouth off ! .....my bad
No prob...your information is outstanding ... tag teamed it
Old 02-28-2015, 12:53 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Thanks again SGLou for the quick reply and the good information. I have some thinking to do and I will definitely check the VIN # out with a local Chevy dealer.
Damn good choice !

Get notified of new replies

To Noob owner, noob here, noob questions

Old 02-28-2015, 12:54 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

No prob...your information is outstanding ... tag teamed it
Old 02-28-2015, 09:28 AM
J.Ho
Intermediate

Why are there two part numbers for this CE nose emblem?

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...tion-2004.html

I'm seeing prices online from the one-off part sites that are some $50-$70 cheaper than the specialty Vette sites.

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/products/...803&modelYear=
Old 03-01-2015, 08:25 AM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

Why are there two part numbers for this CE nose emblem?

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...tion-2004.html

I'm seeing prices online from the one-off part sites that are some $50-$70 cheaper than the specialty Vette sites.

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/products/...803&modelYear=
Ecklers will always have the highest prices, but sometimes they are the only ones that will have a certain part. I won't buy from them unless nobody else has it.

Quick Reply: Noob owner, noob here, noob questions