Sponsored by:

LH Side View Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 03:13 PM
J.Ho
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LH Side View Mirror

Ok after looking around and reading in here I find that I have a browning issue with my driver side mirror. No problem.

What I can't find is a heated, auto dimming mirror to replace it. Since the auto dimming is chemical, the side view mirrors that are only heated will work just fine right? I've seen plenty of sites offering those mirrors.

Also, I've seen the panoramic side view mirror and that looks like an inexpensive and easy fix just to affix on top of the current one. Has anyone here bought one? Do they look good and work well?

TIA
Old 03-05-2015, 05:51 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,292 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Before you go and lose the autodimming feature, check with Marc at VetteNuts and see if he has one in stock, preferably in the color you need. If not, you could always paint one to match.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:21 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

The Electrochromatic mirrors have a long history of failure. You can replace just the glass and plastic surround without removing the housing from the door. I got mine from Corvette Central. and replaced my bad glass about 4 years ago. Except for auto dimming you would never know the difference. Here is the DIY I developed.

This guidance is for removing just the mirror insert (with plastic surround) in cases where the actual mirror has an issue or you need to access the motor assembly behind it.

The mirror housing can be left attached to the door

Before you start, place a blanket under the door so if you drop the mirror it will not break and if any of the positioner pins come out they will not be hard to find, There are 4 of them.

Move the mirror all the way up or down so you can get your fingers behind the mirror.
Placing some tape around the housing edges before you start so as to not scratch the housing paint would be a good idea.

The mirror connects to the motor assembly with 5 snap in connections.

One is the main pivot ball in the center, The other 4 are smaller with one above, below, left, and right of the large center pivot.

The 4 smaller ones are driven by the motor assembly to position the mirror.

Have a friend hold the mirror housing while you pull on the mirror insert.
The mirror insert should “pop” out and be released.

Note: Now you will have to remove the heated mirror wiring connector and if equipped, the connector for the auto dimming.

One or more of the position pins may come out with the mirror insert or just fall on the ground. This is OK and not an issue.

If any pins come out they should have a spring attached to them so don’t lose the springs. The pins actually are inserted into the springs.

When I removed my mirror insert one pin came out with the spring still attached to the mirror insert. I simply removed it from the mirror insert just reinserted it into the motor assembly before I put the mirror insert back on. Everything worked just fine after I finished.

The mirror insert has “cupped” like connectors that the pivot and pins fit/snap into.
Use a good silicone type lubricant on the pins, pivot, and mirror insert connectors to make reattaching the mirror insert easier.

Please note the 4 pins have a small protrusion that has to be aligned correctly to match the mirror insert connectors . Not hard to “eyeball” the correct alignment but if not close the insert will not snap back onto the pins.

You should now be ready to reinstall the mirror insert.

Reattach the one or two wiring connectors.

If your new mirror does not have the electrochromatic feature (and the original did) just tape the wires off and make sure they are stuffed back so they don't interfere with the mirror motion. It will be apparent which wires are for the heating element versus the auto dimming.

Have a friend support the housing so it does not move when you press the mirror insert back in.

I recommend (must do or similar) cut a block of wood to cover as much of the mirror as possible so when you press in back on so you distribute the pressure and don’t break the mirror. Also place a small towel or soft material between the block and the mirror so as to not scratch the mirror.

As you start pressing the mirror insert in, try to put move the mirror insert and motor assembly so it is not tilted like you did when you removed it. You want all the pins and pivot to snap in at one time.

It takes a good amount of pressure to snap the mirror insert into place. That is why you need a friend to hold the housing and you need to lubricate the pins/pivot and the mirror insert connectors.

If it does not snap in with “reasonable force”, remove the mirror and double check the alignment of the 4 pins. I found out that I had not correctly aligned them all and had to redo that and then it snapped in.

When I reinstalled my insert I did not have a friend to help so I had to press with one hand while I held the housing with the other. It takes good amount of pressure to snap it in but I did it with one hand.

Good luck.

PS: Remember if you are replacing the motor assembly there are 2 types. One with Memory and one without. The one with Memory has 2 connectors, not one. The one with memory has an additional 4 pin connector.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:45 AM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

here is another option, it what I did you'll loose the auto dim but for me that was not a problem since my windows are tinted

cost was $4 for glue and about 45 minutes

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rs-mirror.html
Old 03-06-2015, 10:56 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

I replaced my mirrors with Muth Signal mirrors several years ago. I had to remove the housings to run the new wiring, but not to replace just the mirrors themselves.

This is what it looks like behind the mirror. Green circle is the main center pivot. Yellow circles are the motor posts that move the mirror (with the springs). The red circles are for memory positioning. Orange circles are restraints that keep the mirror from rotating in the housing...

Old 03-07-2015, 07:29 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Great picture.
Old 03-07-2015, 02:28 PM
Rexde1
Le Mans Master

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I replaced mine with a heated no dimming mirror. It's cheaper and if your back window is tinted dark the auto dimming doesnt work anyway.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:37 AM
J.Ho
Intermediate

A quick thanks to all of you. Got my part in this week and changed it out without much issue. The most aggravating portion was popping the new mirror in... ended up getting the center on first then popping on the "motor" pins one at a time.

I have a convertible so when Ecklers had a sale I bought the heated and auto dim featured mirror. Costly, but I'm glad I went that route vs an old one that might brown.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:37 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

Frogy has a video he posted last week on how to do this.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:39 PM
voda1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by bjones7131
Frogy has a video he posted last week on how to do this.
Its in this thread:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...iw-mirror.html
Old 04-02-2015, 04:07 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by J.Ho
A quick thanks to all of you. Got my part in this week and changed it out without much issue. The most aggravating portion was popping the new mirror in... ended up getting the center on first then popping on the "motor" pins one at a time.

I have a convertible so when Ecklers had a sale I bought the heated and auto dim featured mirror. Costly, but I'm glad I went that route vs an old one that might brown.
Tell us what did this little mirror set you back? $$$$
Old 04-03-2015, 04:02 AM
J.Ho
Intermediate

Originally Posted by El original
Tell us what did this little mirror set you back? $$$$
I'm too embarrassed to say! I'm finding that being OCD/perfectionist about my things AND a Vette owner is not a good combo.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:53 AM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by J.Ho
I'm too embarrassed to say! I'm finding that being OCD/perfectionist about my things AND a Vette owner is not a good combo.
LOL, I am borderline OCD too... but when I seen the price for the dimming/heated I came to my senses and decided on a peel and stick affair. Am not happy but my bank account is healthier for it. I also have a SSR and many SSR forum guys are installing Muth (signal mirrors), hoping one will give up a old dimming mirror as they are the same as Corvette. I am convinced the SSR mirrors are much better quality for sure
Old 04-03-2015, 02:35 PM
funnyguyMI
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

When I first bought my '02 Vert, the mirror was discolored. I ordered a replacement through the stealership. $3xx. I'm glad I replaced it with the right part though.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:21 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

You should have bought several if you want that feature. They only last a few years. Not kidding.
Old 06-07-2015, 09:32 PM
Leicajh
Heel & Toe

Default Mirror

Originally Posted by dadaroo
You should have bought several if you want that feature. They only last a few years. Not kidding.
2011 Grand Sort. Drivers mirror drifts AF the car gets going
Old 06-08-2015, 08:57 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Leicajh
2011 Grand Sort. Drivers mirror drifts AF the car gets going
Huh?

Get notified of new replies

To LH Side View Mirror

Old 06-08-2015, 11:29 AM
Leicajh
Heel & Toe

Default Drifts

Huh?
It moves out of the set position..Drifts
Old 06-08-2015, 12:07 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Got it, didn't know if AF meant anything.

Can you put your fingers on the mirror and get any lost motion? If not, does it drift in just one direction? In drifting does it drift a little or seem to go to the tops?

Also, do you have Memory?
Old 06-08-2015, 12:46 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

do you have Memory?
this^^^

had me thinking something was wrong with my mirror, one of my kids must of played with the setting with out me knowing and it would go in to the position they set every time i'd unlock my car

Quick Reply: LH Side View Mirror