Sponsored by:

Need help identifying this sound

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 02:00 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

Default Need help identifying this sound

The sound is a rhythmic series of clicks in sync with wheel speed seeming to come from the passenger rear wheel. It resembles the sound of playing cards in bicycle spokes, if you were to use sheet metal instead of cards

The sound started after transporting the car on a trailer. Before this, there was no sound at all.

So far I have inspected the area, removed the wheel verified there was no debris. I thought the sound might be the brake pad warning on my D/S rotors, but there is plenty of meat on the pads and the rotors look normal.

The sound does NOT happen when the car is lifted off it's wheels....making it nearly impossible to identify it's location.

Any ideas?
Old 03-12-2015, 02:07 PM
Jud Chapin
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by theradioflyer
The sound is a rhythmic series of clicks in sync with wheel speed seeming to come from the passenger rear wheel. It resembles the sound of playing cards in bicycle spokes, if you were to use sheet metal instead of cards

The sound started after transporting the car on a trailer. Before this, there was no sound at all.

So far I have inspected the area, removed the wheel verified there was no debris. I thought the sound might be the brake pad warning on my D/S rotors, but there is plenty of meat on the pads and the rotors look normal.

The sound does NOT happen when the car is lifted off it's wheels....making it nearly impossible to identify it's location.

Any ideas?
Have you inspected the inside area of the wheel? Could be something as simple as a foreign object rubbing against the wheel.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:08 PM
Oh 2 Fun
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '13, '15

Bearing? Either wheel or diff axle bearing. Usually they are more like a rumble.

CV joint?.....no really like that either.

A wheel bearing might allow the rotor to hit the caliper when there is weight on the car.

That's a tough one.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:20 PM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,866 Likes on 1,672 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Winner

Doesn't really sound like a wheel bearing to me. It almost sounds like maybe your e-brake cable or something like that is rubbing someplace. If you have access to a lift that the suspention will be like on the ground I would check to see what the clearances are on everything that's routed around the rearend and shafts. Good luck with it.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:21 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Good news! As I was typing, I realized i had ramps in the garage. I pulled it up on the ramps and found the brake line was unusually close to both the passenger output shaft boot and frame rail. It must have moved while the car was being transported. The suspension undoubtedly saw more action on the trailer than it EVER would on the road. I moved the lines, drove it and no more noise.

Free/instant fix. Can't be happier.

Something to note if you ever trailer your car....especially through construction zones in Indiana.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:26 PM
Jud Chapin
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Good news! As I was typing, I realized i had ramps in the garage. I pulled it up on the ramps and found the brake line was unusually close to both the passenger output shaft boot and frame rail. It must have moved while the car was being transported. The suspension undoubtedly saw more action on the trailer than it EVER would on the road. I moved the lines, drove it and no more noise.

Free/instant fix. Can't be happier.

Something to note if you ever trailer your car....especially through construction zones in Indiana.
Great!
Old 03-12-2015, 04:07 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

Your Corvette must have had some serious action in the trailer, lol. Thanks for letting us know what the problem was.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:53 PM
Oh 2 Fun
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '13, '15

Yes, thanks for the end of the story!
Old 03-12-2015, 10:31 PM
ZFLASH
Melting Slicks

Received 131 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14, '16

Glad it worked out George, didn't realize you moved back to the GREAT country of Texas.Welcome back home,L8R ZFLASH
Old 03-13-2015, 08:49 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by El original
Your Corvette must have had some serious action in the trailer, lol. Thanks for letting us know what the problem was.
Solid axle trailer + wheels strapped down = fun house

Originally Posted by ZFLASH
Glad it worked out George, didn't realize you moved back to the GREAT country of Texas.Welcome back home,L8R ZFLASH
I haven't moved back, I was only JUST NOW able to get my car out of the garage to have a look at what was going on.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:17 AM
la vett girl
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Solid axle trailer + wheels strapped down = fun house

I haven't moved back, I was only JUST NOW able to get my car out of the garage to have a look at what was going on.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help identifying this sound

Quick Reply: Need help identifying this sound