Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how much should i ask for my 1998 corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 10:00 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettezman
If some of you saw the prices the C5 were fetching at the Corvette public auction at the Expo, it might make you cry. I gave $13.5k last year for my 02 with 100k miles (loaded and with both tops), but after watching the auction last weekend, I felt robbed.

C5 auction prices are low and this was a public auction, not just a "dealer only" auction. There were also lots of C5s for sale.

The highest bid on a 2004 with 40k miles was $13k. Seller wanted $14k to let it go, so it did not sell.
Went to Leake Auction in OKC a few weeks ago... and most cars were way down. Some Power Tour type modified cars and a few super cars and high end muscles brought good money, but nothing like they did 5 years ago.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:14 PM
Red rag
Burning Brakes

Received 915 Likes on 448 Posts

Check out autotrader and compare what you have stacks up. You couldn't touch a car like it for $10k around my area as others on here suggest it's worth. I agree with others of around $15k-17k though. It also depends how badly you want to sell. GLWS
Old 03-24-2015, 11:15 PM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

It would be in the 14 to 15 range around here. Add 3 grand at a dealer. Depends on where you are selling it. Some areas there a plenty to choose from and some areas like here not so much. And C4s are really going up and hard to find around here. A clean late C4 is the same money as an early C5. A dealer near here had a later C4 white vert with a $20,000 sign on the windshield. A small lot in a small town. I laughed and said that one will be there a while. 3 days later it was gone. I had to stop and ask. They said it sold for $18,750. It was real low miles and super clean but just wow.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:52 PM
Corvette#2
Safety Car

Received 394 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Skyfox16

I just started looking for a C5 in/around Ohio and it seems almost everyone is asking $1,000's over KBB excellent condition pricing. Is KBB for corvettes that unrealistic?

Trying to find a 6speed with around 100k miles, clean title/good carfax is becoming more difficult than i thought without paying over $15k.

The one 99 with 104k miles for $10k i found - the guy said i was asking too many questions (Service records? reason for selling? any issues with it?) so that kind of turned me off of that one.

One guy has a 97 with 67K miles and they want $14.5k - KBB is $10k.

Then a 2002 with 78K miles for $12,800 and cant get the person to respond to questions.

Who knew it would be so hard to give away money for a car lol

I think KBB Excellent is in the ballpark, if it's a nice car. I bought a mag red 2000 6 speed last month. 45k miles, 2 owners, loaded with hud, z51, memory pkg, electronic AC, dual sport seats, cd changer, HRE wheels etc. I paid 16. KBB Excellent was 15.5, Nada Retail was like 17.2

Based on some good deals I'd seen here, I wanted to pay 15. Lots of people told me I could find a nice low miles 6 speed for 15. But the owner put the car on ebay. So I knew I had to decide. And after driving it, I wanted it and wasn't planning to screw with potential bid snipers to save a little.

I started off looking at cars like the one you mentioned, 99 with 104k for 10. I looked at half a dozen cars in that price range but didn't find one I really liked. I don't blame the owner of the 97 with 67k for not taking 10. I think it's worth a bit more. KBB seems off there.

I think you should be ablt find a nice 100k ish 6 speed without going over15k. I saw a one owner 99 FRC advertised on CL in a little town near the Mexican border (Sierra Vista). It had about 100k mi and he was asking 12k, I didn't want pewter, otherwise I would have checked it out.

Originally Posted by jackthelad
Look at Edmunds as well. It seems to me a lot of owners overvalue their cars - and they probably change hands between enthusiasts at higher prices than normal.

I have a '98 MN6 coupe with every option for it's year, including both tops. Owned it from new, 75k on it, no track time, no damage ever. Low mileage on Mich. AS tires on 18/19 wheels. It's probably realistically worth around $10-11k. If I was selling it and got anything over that, I think I would be happy as a clam.
Edmunds is low IMO. I was just shopping for a 6 speed C5. I'd have been very interested in looking at a 75k mi 98 for only 10,000. That would be a good deal.

All of the 100k mile 6 speeds I looked at advertised for around 10-11 had less than pristine interiors and engine bays. A really nice one is worth more.

Originally Posted by knewblewkorvette
I think if someone offers you $15K, you should take it and smile.
Seems like a good number if he can get it. I'd have to see the two tone seats. If it's loud or not. Don't like white guages, he should put that back to stock if possible. It's a mod that would only hurt, not help sell the car.

Regarding auction results, I would never have bought my C5 from an auction but that's just me.

Can you even test drive them ? Considering that, I'm not surprised the prices are lower. IMO, auction prices are not equivalent to what a nice one is worth in a private party transaction.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:04 AM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

It seems to me that Corvettes are a little different than most cars. They seem to take a bigger drop when you drive them off the lot than the average car. Most who can afford new want new. It seems at 4 or 5 years old they are the best deal. Less than half of new but most are real clean with low miles. Basically still a new car. Price wise like most cars but the others have more miles and warts. Then they seem to go down in value slower than other cars. Way higher than most cars at 10 years old. Most cars have almost no value at 10 years old. But most Corvettes are still low miles and like new condition. Then after that they seem to hold their value and in some cases go up a little. That is how it seems to me anyway. My SO has an 03 Malibu. She bought it new. I have kept it very well maintained ever since. It only has 70,000 miles and is in near new condition. It is only worth $2500 or there about. She likes the car so we are just going to keep it. I am going to to add heated seats and remote start while she is in London visiting her mom. To kinda give it something new. The things she would want in a new car. But trading in such a clean car or selling it for what it's worth would just give someone else a great deal on a great car. Try and buy a 2003 Corvette in that shape for $2500. And it's got every option. It was not that much less new than a Corvette. Nowhere near the difference now. That says a lot good about a Corvette.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:01 AM
John Madeja
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I bought my 1997 here in michigan last year in the middle of winter from a dealership that was about to send it to auction and lose their ***, and I talked them down huge because they knew they'd get more from me then the auction I ended up walking away with a pristine all original (except tires) 30,500 mile vette for only $16,000 dolllars out the door.....i'm the third owner also

Ive since then added a z06 TI exhaust Corsa X-pipe, new tires non RF, new tasteful rims, tinted it, vararam, LED halo mod tails, all new mats including rear, sound proofed entire interior and upgraded the sound system....

SO my point is that our cars are very similar in the sense of miles and mods i'm now about 40,000 miles too (long road trips last year)

I wouldn't sell my car for a penny less then $16,000 and I mean that....I look at other c5's in my area and they are all mostly 60k and up mileage range most are hitting 100k or more, when I was looking last year the lowest vette I could find within 500miles of me was my vette and I looked for 4-5 months....all of those higher mileage cars that had stock everything pretty much and looked like a normal c5 condition wise were asking anywhere from 15-20k private sellers....

I live in Michigan like I said and I think there are less corvettes around the northeast/midwest then if you were to go southeast/west....It's all about location....My vette will command the 16k I want all day long where I live but if I was somewhere south were there are more because of nicer weather it might only get me 13k-14k realistically....

List your vette for 18k and see where it takes you....When people see vettes listed for a higher amount of money you're going to give an impression that it's not some ragged on pile, and that the owner actually took care of it...If your car looks awesome, people will think its 18k value all day...

Hope this helps

p.s. don't ever use KBB, people around here just laugh at KBB and tell you to go somewhere else lol KBB edmunds and even NADA might be fine for regular cars but lets be honest here this is a CORVETTE not an oldsmobile alero or grandam or ford f-150 lol it's a sports car, it's a classic that every boy drools over as a kid and wants one when they get older...if everyone sold their cars for what KBB said I would get nicer cars cheaper then I should and piece of ***** would cost way more then they should too....just my own opinion
Old 03-25-2015, 08:55 AM
Tuco
Team Owner

Location: Blessed are the cracked. For they are the ones who let in the light.
Received 165 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
I'd say you could expect to get $16-17K or so. Sounds like a nice car. Best of luck with the sale.
with the right buyer, be prepared to sit on it a while.
Someone is always watching for the price to drop into their range.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:27 AM
jr105
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say that the pricing on the 98 would depend on how quickly you want to sell it. I'd ask the $17k if I didn't mind waiting for the "right" buyer to come along, and ask $15k if I wanted to move it quickly.

I bought my 98 vert, bone stock in mint condition, with 70k mi last year for $14.5k from a motivated seller. That was the low side of prices around here at the time.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:06 AM
ronwc
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Down here in FL C5's are everywhere and fairly cheap. You can find them on CL for around $12 all day long. Some have dropped below $10. I just bought one about a month ago, 97 coupe, black auto with 130k miles for $7500 in good overall condition. When I was looking the last thing I wanted was any mods, especially some loud exhaust. Nice and stock, with a few cosmetic improvements works for me.

But yours does sound like a very nice low mileage car, I would shoot for $13,900 and go from there.
Attached Images  
Old 03-25-2015, 02:16 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

KBB, Edmunds et al, generate their price info from data on what cars actually change hands for. A dealer may tell you those numbers are "meaningless" when he is trying to sell you something, but he sure will not treat the trade prices as meaningless if he is buying.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:32 AM
Tuco
Team Owner

Location: Blessed are the cracked. For they are the ones who let in the light.
Received 165 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Car sounds really really nice and would love to see pics.
Cannot understand how you cannot load them here, it's so simple now.
Right from your pc.
make sure to show that perfect undercarriage and the engine bay and how well taken care of it is.
Really clean rides attract a higher price.
Any idea why you cannot load pics?
Old 03-26-2015, 07:49 PM
MTCWBY
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just bought mine for 8K (99' convertible 6 speed, all original) three weeks ago from a good friend when he told me what he expected to get. I couldn't pass it up although I told him it seemed too low. It had the original tires and the air conditioning might need some work so he was factoring that in but otherwise the car is very clean. The tires are already replaced and I'll see about the AC in the next couple of weeks.

Quick Reply: how much should i ask for my 1998 corvette?