Seeking advice about Goodyear F1 all season tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 05:59 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by strand rider
im reply to racebum
Michelin is always at or near the top of my tire lists, from my bike riding experience. You can easily feel the qualities between different constructions on a bicycle. I suppose the old hand laid radial silk italian bike tire construction couldn't handle a vette, or much else come to think of it, the gum rubber was always curing, but they were fast and responsive.

The heavy rains and cold weather you mentioned are my consideration, this is what gives the Goodyear merit, in my slight understanding. Weather capability is good to have when I need it, but it would be considered against overall use. Old man in a dry climate here, how much do I really need to spend, and why, I'm not trying to rotate the earth. I power 180'ed the car and was glad to have the bite available from the dedicated summer tire to recover my line, as I overshot the power a bit, and got into a small fishtail before I figured it out, or it could have been the computer that did the driving, I didn't think to check. I don't often do a lot of trick driving around town, so it wasn't clean, but very showy, and well received by all.

I am thinking that if I spring for the Michelin I would get another top of line dry performance and skip the trade offs.

But right now, I am trying to get a handle on the only possible Goodyears for my needs.
I used to see the old blimp they flew overhead, a surplus vessel from WW2, more rubbery and round than now, the rear fins were inflated. A few weeks ago, I saw the new design, bright silver grey against a turquoise sky , gaining altitude while being blown at a three quarter angle to the direction of travel, full power and making good speed, well for a blimp, I do have to say. But it was a beautiful sight, to see such an incredible machine riding a jet stream across the sky.

I have to give 'em a shot. And might not be time wasted, as you might know. From reading here, without a tire limitation, as in a racing class, the only way to know which tire is the fastest is to test every available tire. To do that, only the group mind of the internet could begin to give me any reasonable insight, because tire testing is not the plan, only information.
oh gosh, bike tires, you can feel a few psi difference and the sidewall and compound is HUGE. bikes without full suspension really notice this. road bikes, hard tails etc. the sidewall has so much to do with the ability of the tire to maintain the contact patch

now on to cars. the brand isn't really something i would focus on, it's all about the tire model and compound. just like bikes really. remember how continental and michelin made great bike tires but there was always a flop in the line somewhere? cars are often the same way

the michelin as3 specifically is a great all season tire. it performs on par with many summer only tires and has the ability to function in the cold weather. good ride comfort and a great contact patch. it won't compete with a pilot super sport in the warmer dry or even in the warm wet, but, it will wear longer and outperform the sports in the cold

goodyear has lagged behind the other majors lately and has not developed compounds that are competitive

if you drive mostly dry the all season tire is only buying you more cold traction and mileage. a good summer tire like the michelin pilot super sport is currently one of the best all street tires on the planet

it may help to make a list of your goals and select tires based on them. goals would be

1. miles per year
2. budget
3. driving conditions
4. does noise factor in?
5 wet performance
6 cold performance
7 dry warm performance
8 is it available in my size?
Old 03-22-2015, 07:27 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm not going to touch the whole "buy it for the blimp" question...
That said, I've lived here 41 years and the handful of times summer tires were not the right choice, all-season tires would not have helped a bit: what I really needed in those conditions were chains.

Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 03-22-2015 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:39 AM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum
oh gosh, bike tires, you can feel a few psi difference and the sidewall and compound is HUGE. bikes without full suspension really notice this. road bikes, hard tails etc. the sidewall has so much to do with the ability of the tire to maintain the contact patch

now on to cars. the brand isn't really something i would focus on, it's all about the tire model and compound. just like bikes really. remember how continental and michelin made great bike tires but there was always a flop in the line somewhere? cars are often the same way

the michelin as3 specifically is a great all season tire. it performs on par with many summer only tires and has the ability to function in the cold weather. good ride comfort and a great contact patch. it won't compete with a pilot super sport in the warmer dry or even in the warm wet, but, it will wear longer and outperform the sports in the cold

goodyear has lagged behind the other majors lately and has not developed compounds that are competitive

if you drive mostly dry the all season tire is only buying you more cold traction and mileage. a good summer tire like the michelin pilot super sport is currently one of the best all street tires on the planet

it may help to make a list of your goals and select tires based on them. goals would be

1. miles per year
2. budget
3. driving conditions
4. does noise factor in?
5 wet performance
6 cold performance
7 dry warm performance
8 is it available in my size?
That's a nice list, but my goal remains; information about the Goodyear tire for a C5.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:15 AM
strand rider
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
I'm not going to touch the whole "buy it for the blimp" question...
That said, I've lived here 41 years and the handful of times summer tires were not the right choice, all-season tires would not have helped a bit: what I really needed in those conditions were chains.
Well, it's not exactly, see blimp, buy tire. I just wanted to give them a shot, and realized my impression of the product was only from media, so I thought some owner reports might help inform me about the product.

I am glad you replied, the in use situations where a tire might effect safety is a better answer than the question I asked, as my real concern is indeed, when is a dedicated performance tire a liability. I just approached it in a clumsy way, via the Goodyear brand tire. If I understand correctly, by the time the summer tires are an unacceptable safety decision, it is already severely messed up, and you need chains. I won't ask if these are the dinky California cable chains, or the Montana thick link heavy chain, I think I would be waiting it out if I stumbled into something drastic.

I'm thinking the toughest thing I will face is morning frost in a mountain campsite , and I had read that some performance tires will crack off chunks of tread in the cold, so I started asking about the all season tire, which lead me to goodyear. I figured if I had to dial back performance for safety, the Gooodyear product seemed dialed back, perhaps too much for my needs, so i decided to ask around.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:18 AM
racebum
Race Director

That's a nice list, but my goal remains; information about the Goodyear tire for a C5.
you're cheating yourself

if you want to make bad choices why post about it

go make your bad choice

there is no further information that can be given as you have apparently already decided and are now just sounding off of people
Old 03-24-2015, 03:55 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

you're cheating yourself

if you want to make bad choices why post about it

go make your bad choice

there is no further information that can be given as you have apparently already decided and are now just sounding off of people
Just doing the best I can, and am unsure how personal conflict sneaked into such a simple question.

Perhaps the fact that no choices will be made at this time is the source of conflict, I am just trying to figure the correct application of the Goodyear product to my needs, not ready for a buying decision, or even to consider expanding the question.

The blimp is cool so I wondered if their product fit my needs. Projected needs, as I haven't toured with the car yet, so it is hard to get to the best questions.

I will get new tires before I hit the trail to the redwoods, and a few more mechanical details attended to , so figured I would start gathering information early. Goodyear seemed a good starting point, the company is an industry leader, even if it is not leading in my direction, I figured I could learn about product.

The tires on the car now are lasting much longer than I expected. Goodyear might update the line before I am in the market, but think they have chosen Dunlop as the performance line. I am liking the Dunlop performance tire as it is a new product in the market, and probably hits all the newer construction techniques.

As always, thanks for the reply, although you could have held back a little about your opinion of my choices. I am a little disappointed about criticism of a choice I have not made, but I do know how people roll on the internet. no biggie.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:02 PM
racebum
Race Director

Just doing the best I can, and am unsure how personal conflict sneaked into such a simple question.

Perhaps the fact that no choices will be made at this time is the source of conflict, I am just trying to figure the correct application of the Goodyear product to my needs, not ready for a buying decision, or even to consider expanding the question.

The blimp is cool so I wondered if their product fit my needs. Projected needs, as I haven't toured with the car yet, so it is hard to get to the best questions.

I will get new tires before I hit the trail to the redwoods, and a few more mechanical details attended to , so figured I would start gathering information early. Goodyear seemed a good starting point, the company is an industry leader, even if it is not leading in my direction, I figured I could learn about product.

The tires on the car now are lasting much longer than I expected. Goodyear might update the line before I am in the market, but think they have chosen Dunlop as the performance line. I am liking the Dunlop performance tire as it is a new product in the market, and probably hits all the newer construction techniques.

As always, thanks for the reply, although you could have held back a little about your opinion of my choices. I am a little disappointed about criticism of a choice I have not made, but I do know how people roll on the internet. no biggie.
not conflict, just being direct, you have your mind made up

the criticism is kind, we like seeing people use their money to make the best choice

better performing tires can be had for your money
Old 03-24-2015, 06:17 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

...the criticism is kind, we like seeing people use their money to make the best choice...
How about we just settle for seeing people use their money to make a good choice?
"The best choice" is a mythical creature that hangs out with Bigfoot and Nessie, and your particular vision of it can easily be another person's "WTF?!?".
Old 03-24-2015, 06:36 PM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
How about we just settle for seeing people use their money to make a good choice?
"The best choice" is a mythical creature that hangs out with Bigfoot and Nessie, and your particular vision of it can easily be another person's "WTF?!?".
agreed
Old 03-25-2015, 04:36 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Thanks and best wishes to all who answered, I gained some understanding. I didn't post to slam Goodyear because it isn't brand X, or for any other reason , I wanted to gain insight from use of the product, hopefully positive.

I had read the most trusted brands in America were directly related to the amount of advertising, not actual experience with the product. Anyone can digest and repeat information, I do it myself.

I was trying to get impressions from use and any added general information was a plus. Since my driving abilities will stay well within the capabilities of most tires, comfort and noise , the little ownership details I don't know about, like the look on the car, become more important to me than straight G loads, save for mistakes on the road, of course. I will probably select on weight and rolling resistance , if possible, since I expect traction to be acceptable with most tires, it comes and goes anyway, weight is a constant and can be controlled.

Goodyear might have a near top of the market tire, but not advertise the performance of the design in that way, because the corporate strategy might want to concentrate those performance ad dollars for Dunlop. Might be a wild fiction in my part, the only thing that can safely be assumed is that they didn't comment the design and manufacturing dollars to market a dud product. A product slightly behind the market might suit my needs as well as the latest greatest, it just might not have the cooler image of straight top of the media report products. The media might have different goals than myself.

To illustrate, I struck up a conversation with a guy because he was displaying a car with Kumho tires, the same brand on my car. My car was being set up as a track car for a corvette shop when the previous owner bought the car, so the set up was very reality based. I asked him about his tires, he said saved seven pounds a wheel with the brand, an unexpected response. He was displaying a Copperhead Viper and said he limits the car to 180, since above that he would need more aero on the car, and he likes it fine now. Had he stayed with reports from tire rack or other marketing only, his car would have had a different unsprung weight, and reflected less of the owners desires.

Thanks again to all. One of the first things I will check is to see if the width of the Goodyear line is repeated in the Dunlop designs. Might be good to know when assembling buying decision checklists .
Old 03-26-2015, 03:39 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks and best wishes to all who answered, I gained some understanding. I didn't post to slam Goodyear because it isn't brand X, or for any other reason , I wanted to gain insight from use of the product, hopefully positive.

I had read the most trusted brands in America were directly related to the amount of advertising, not actual experience with the product. Anyone can digest and repeat information, I do it myself.

I was trying to get impressions from use and any added general information was a plus. Since my driving abilities will stay well within the capabilities of most tires, comfort and noise , the little ownership details I don't know about, like the look on the car, become more important to me than straight G loads, save for mistakes on the road, of course. I will probably select on weight and rolling resistance , if possible, since I expect traction to be acceptable with most tires, it comes and goes anyway, weight is a constant and can be controlled.

Goodyear might have a near top of the market tire, but not advertise the performance of the design in that way, because the corporate strategy might want to concentrate those performance ad dollars for Dunlop. Might be a wild fiction in my part, the only thing that can safely be assumed is that they didn't comment the design and manufacturing dollars to market a dud product. A product slightly behind the market might suit my needs as well as the latest greatest, it just might not have the cooler image of straight top of the media report products. The media might have different goals than myself.

To illustrate, I struck up a conversation with a guy because he was displaying a car with Kumho tires, the same brand on my car. My car was being set up as a track car for a corvette shop when the previous owner bought the car, so the set up was very reality based. I asked him about his tires, he said saved seven pounds a wheel with the brand, an unexpected response. He was displaying a Copperhead Viper and said he limits the car to 180, since above that he would need more aero on the car, and he likes it fine now. Had he stayed with reports from tire rack or other marketing only, his car would have had a different unsprung weight, and reflected less of the owners desires.

Thanks again to all. One of the first things I will check is to see if the width of the Goodyear line is repeated in the Dunlop designs. Might be good to know when assembling buying decision checklists .
The opinions reflected here regarding Goodyear and Michelin aren't due to advertising, they're due to our conclusions based on testing and personal experience

Quick Reply: Seeking advice about Goodyear F1 all season tires