Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bendpak 4 post lift. How many have one? Like it? Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 09:27 AM
OVEREXTENDED2015
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fantastic set-up!

Originally Posted by Patches
I have a 4-post HD9 Bend Pak. In all my years of owning a 4-poster (which I bought primarily for increasing garage capacity), I have never not been able to do any job I needed to with relative ease. It takes a couple of extra steps to work on wheels/brakes/suspension but not a big deal. Two-posters are awesome for access to all of the car for major work - 4-posters are a good compromise for a combination of storage and maintenance.

Here's my BendPak HD9 (9000 lb. cap., 117" width):

In Indiana, it turned our 2-car into a 3-car

Our Indiana garage

Here in SoCal now, our 3-car is a 4-car

Current project underway

I currently have a 7-foot-high door. The Indiana garage door was an 8-footer, so I gave up a bit of clearance. This door was way too low to accomodate the lift posts so I had a garage door company add two feet of rail height so it hugs the ceiling. The side-mount opener was required to get the opener out of the lift path as well. Btw, that's a 10-foot ceiling.

Here's the clearance I had when I first installed the lift - no clearance. The door was hitting the posts.

The new door height.

The new side-mounted opener with battery backup

No problems with clearance now and I actually store the vette 4" higher than in the previous garage since the door is no longer the limiting height.

You Sir are the envy of every shadetree/motorhead mechanic in the universe. I some how sense a military, or automotive background? Thanks for sharing excellent photography.
Old 01-31-2016, 12:12 PM
Capt Mike
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

I get around most of those inconveniences with two jack plates. True, still extra time spent with suspension.

But the convenience of a Safe drive on lift is difficult to beat !! I feel much safer working a four post drive on ramp lift, by far. I worked under hydraulic center lifts through high school and I have a close friend than has a center post lift,, and they still make my nervous.

Life has it's trade offs !! Either one still better than a creeper.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:50 AM
BillY2KFRC
Le Mans Master

Received 347 Likes on 192 Posts

Definitely have one of these in my future if I get a third car. Problem is, my house is log construction, so I can't easily add a third garage and my ceiling height is only 9ft. Good news is above my garage is just attic space, so I'd imagine the ceiling can be raised a few feet to give me plenty of height for a lift.

For anyone with experience in this area, barring an structural issues, which of these two solutions do you think would be easier? And anyone have any idea what I'd be looking at money wise?

- Do a 2-3ft tray ceiling increase just above the right garage bay where I would put the lift
- Raise the entire ceiling 2-4ft

Thank you for any thoughts or advice!

Current garage setup:
Old 02-01-2016, 11:21 AM
RonR80
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I also have a Bend-Pak HD-9, lifts 9000 lbs plenty for the work I do , the only thing I would change if I did it again I would get the extra wide one , new vettes are close in width , and some of the trucks I work on are pretty wide . Other wise no issues
Old 02-01-2016, 04:00 PM
Z_fox
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We have an HD-9 4 post lift. I added a rolling bridge jack after a few months of use. So much easier raising the wheels off the ramps now. Was a bit pricey though. Needed to use an engine hoist to lift it onto the ramps, weighs over three hundred lbs.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:12 PM
enoniam
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 46 Posts

We are getting pretty close to closing a deal on acquiring a small storage unit business within walking distance of our house. The seller built this place and as it was originally his home construction business location, with the storage units later added to the property, it includes a good amount of shop space. At one end of the main building it has two garage doors, each big enough to swallow a semi trailer in height and width, and about half of the length. I'm looking to make this my wrenching play-pen area and I'm not going to be constrained vertically (about 30' of headroom) nor likely to need a lift to expand auto storage.

I used my daughter's fiancée's two-post lift this summer to drop the engine out the bottom of the vette and in doing so became pretty familiar with how that made life easier than having no lift as well as some of the limitations of that type of lift. It seems to me that a 4-post lift would not be nearly as well suited for dropping the front k-member and engine out of a vette, but never having worked with a 4-post drive on lift I'm open to hearing opinions from those who have. If vehicle storage is a non-needed benefit to a 4-post lift, is it still the lift of choice for you? I know with future son-in-law's lift we couldn't get the 2-post lift's arms under the car with it sitting on the floor so having to deal with that is a bit of a negative for that style of lift. Would like to hear all of the pros and cons for this type of situation so let 'em rip tator chip!
Old 02-01-2016, 05:15 PM
novasscnc
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

In Canada, from Calgary I have a lift King very happy, with the dollar might be worth a look I paid $2250 with casters, trip trays and jack tray a lot of them they get you on the extras
Old 02-01-2016, 05:24 PM
enoniam
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 46 Posts

I have a 4-post HD9 Bend Pak. In all my years of owning a 4-poster (which I bought primarily for increasing garage capacity), I have never not been able to do any job I needed to with relative ease. It takes a couple of extra steps to work on wheels/brakes/suspension but not a big deal. Two-posters are awesome for access to all of the car for major work - 4-posters are a good compromise for a combination of storage and maintenance.

Our Indiana garage

This pic is on Bendpak's web site.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:46 PM
FirstC4
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Our Indiana garage

Here in SoCal now, our 3-car is a 4-car

I currently have a 7-foot-high door. The Indiana garage door was an 8-footer, so I gave up a bit of clearance. This door was way too low to accomodate the lift posts so I had a garage door company add two feet of rail height so it hugs the ceiling. The side-mount opener was required to get the opener out of the lift path as well. Btw, that's a 10-foot ceiling.
I'm curious, How wide was the garage in your Indiana home?

Last edited by FirstC4; 03-25-2017 at 10:48 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:54 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by FirstC4
I'm curious, How wide was the garage in your Indiana home?
About 21 feet.
The following users liked this post:
FirstC4 (03-29-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 01:05 AM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

I wouldn't own any lift that wasn't a Bendpak, they are built heavy duty and are worth every penny.

Last edited by JETninja; 03-26-2017 at 01:05 AM.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:19 PM
FirstC4
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

About 21 feet.
Perfect thanks!

I only have 19'6" width, so the narrow 100" HD-9ST should give me about the same proportions to work with as you had.

It looks like you mounted the unit on the backside of the post instead of he side. Is there a special bracket for that or did you fabricate it?
Old 03-29-2017, 01:15 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Standard mounting that Bend Pak comes with - notice I mounted it on the "back" post in Indiana and swapped that to the "front" post here in SoCal.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:39 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

Do it...you will love it!
Old 09-01-2017, 01:26 PM
RetiredLE
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to hook up the electrical? Just got this lift and all it had was a short pigtail of wires coming out of the motor, not even long enough to feed into a junction box.
It's set up for 220 but those wires look awfully thin.... All of my 220 equipment (welder, air compressor, etc.) is set up with dryer cord plugins. But the wires from those items are quite a bit heavier in gauge. Any suggestions, pics etc would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading,

Mike
Old 09-01-2017, 05:32 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

My BP is about ten years old so it's a bit different from yours but this might help.

I got heavy duty cord and a 220 V plug, pulled those wires back into the Bend Pak box and wired the cord into them. I had a 100-amp sub-panel added in the garage in both houses I have had the lift in to be able to run it and several other devices. I have operated this lift for 10 years using this setup.

The air lock release button

Hydraulic hookups (Instead of "Back", substitute "Front" on those labels for the current setup.)

One thing that bugged me during the initial installation is that there were no wrench flats machined into the rod to keep it from rotating while tightening the nylock nut.

Last edited by Patches; 09-01-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:10 PM
Capt Mike
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

If the label on the side of the motor rates it at 220 VAC,, single phase

Then the Green is Earth ground and the black and white are each 110 VAC, which equal 220 VAC Ground is the center pin on the connector, plug and socket.

The above connector shown, is 20 amps AC MAX

I used a larger current connection that matches my MIG & TIG Welders so that I have a plug-in at that end on the garage.

Is you can't find a long enough pig tale then consider purchasing a 220 VAC extension cord that matches your required wall socket and cut off the end at the motor

IT's always a great deal safer to utilize a molded connector on a AC Circuit, especially at 220 VAC circuit that is inherently difficult to plug-in or un-plug

Michael..
Old 09-02-2017, 10:51 AM
RetiredLE
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default BendPak four post lift power hookup

Thanks for the replies AND the pics. I went ahead and used two (30 amp/250volt) twist loc connectors (one to the motor wiring and the other to a 6' dryer cord to connect the motor to power. It worked.

Here is a shot of the connector with the water separator in the background.

Last edited by RetiredLE; 09-02-2017 at 05:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Bendpak 4 post lift. How many have one? Like it? Advice?