Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vararam and water ingestion... fact or fiction?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 12:40 AM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by calbrit561
Standing water is what you have to worry about. I had one and could not leave the parking lot as it was over the ducts.
glad to get some additional owners experience. I know little about the product, but do know that water doesn't compress, so never really looked past the problems. Now I see, I had a faulty understanding of the product, driven by fear of a blown everything in the rain while my adoring girlfriend cries her little eyes out from failure of leadership.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:36 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 73Corvette
Absolutely... I think the question though, is about water being ingested only by driving rains or down pours on highways... not actual standing water... I feel we can ALL agree if you drive in a foot or more of water your asking for disaster. But, I can see the air dams pushing a wall of water to the front of the bumper even in 5 or 6 inches of water, which might cause some problems. I really don't want to be the one to find out "exactly" how deep the standing water has to be to cause serious results.
The fear was always the puddles, not the rain itself, although maybe some people have ramped that up to a fear of rain in general. I've seen it happen to other cars with low intakes before, so it's not nonsense. The Vararam intakes give you little margin for error in this regard. Just know your limits and drive accordingly in less than ideal circumstances and it won't be a problem
Old 03-22-2015, 08:13 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by strand rider
glad to get some additional owners experience. I know little about the product, but do know that water doesn't compress, so never really looked past the problems. Now I see, I had a faulty understanding of the product, driven by fear of a blown everything in the rain while my adoring girlfriend cries her little eyes out from failure of leadership.
No worries about seeing my adoring girlfriend crying her little eyes out..
it is hard to see when your crying your own eyes out...
I'm not paranoid, am I, no I'm not, well, maybe I am, it is food for thought and I will be more cautious in future inclement weather events.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:39 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

I have driven in some downpours and never had an issue.

If you are driving in foot deep water you will have an issue, but normal driving I can't believe there will be any problems.

I caught some downpours on a trip to the Tail of the Dragon. This picture is from that trip.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:09 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

You maniacs drive your cars in rain? You guys do recall that water created the Grand Canyon right? If water can carve a scar up to 6000 feet deep into Arizona, imagine what it's going to do to your Corvette?

The key to the vararam is to put it on and stop worrying about it. Mine has seen some downpours without hydrolock.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:17 AM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

an engine can ingest a ton of water without you realizing a thing. Doesn't necessarily mean no damage done just because you don't see immediate consequences. Go for a drive in heavy rain for 30 minutes at highway speeds with a vararam, and take out the filter afterwards. If it's wet, your engine is ingesting water. Although engines are designed to be able to handle some water, that water is passing through a dirty filter and bringing dirt into the engine. It's not water ingestion you need to worry about. It's the water bringing dirt into your engine. I have a hard time believing that driving for 2 hours in the rain going 70mph down the highway, that the filter would not be pretty soaked with one of these intakes. Especially going down the highway with all the mist that is created from other cars, and other cars and semis splashing up puddles. I would not buy one because I drive far distances pretty frequently in the rain. The moral of the story is that just because your engine doesn't die or bog down does not by any means indicate whether or not water is being ingested. You can smoke cigarettes your entire life without passing out or dying, but it certainly decreases your lifespan. My $0.02.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:41 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Originally Posted by SaberD
an engine can ingest a ton of water without you realizing a thing. Doesn't necessarily mean no damage done just because you don't see immediate consequences. Go for a drive in heavy rain for 30 minutes at highway speeds with a vararam, and take out the filter afterwards. If it's wet, your engine is ingesting water. Although engines are designed to be able to handle some water, that water is passing through a dirty filter and bringing dirt into the engine. It's not water ingestion you need to worry about. It's the water bringing dirt into your engine. I have a hard time believing that driving for 2 hours in the rain going 70mph down the highway, that the filter would not be pretty soaked with one of these intakes. Especially going down the highway with all the mist that is created from other cars, and other cars and semis splashing up puddles. I would not buy one because I drive far distances pretty frequently in the rain. The moral of the story is that just because your engine doesn't die or bog down does not by any means indicate whether or not water is being ingested. You can smoke cigarettes your entire life without passing out or dying, but it certainly decreases your lifespan. My $0.02.
So the filter will filter dirty air but not dirty water ??????????????
Old 03-24-2015, 11:47 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Kinda funny the post above this one (at the moment) is how many don't drive their vettes in the rain ?????????????
Old 03-24-2015, 01:58 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

I am a LONG way from being a Bill Curlee or Evil Twin, but wouldn't any water getting passed the filter, also have to get passed the MAF...
at the very least it would make it run crappy and possibly throw some codes if the MAF was seeing some water? Possibly ruin the MAF.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:06 PM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by akapounder
So the filter will filter dirty air but not dirty water ??????????????
That's correct. It's an air filter, not a water filter. Water will loosen the particles, and into your engine they go. Take your air filter out of your car and spray it all over with a water spray bottle until it drips into a glass. Just take a look at how much it "filters" the water. It doesn't. It makes it dirty. It's an air filter made for air. Imagine that.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:09 PM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 73Corvette
I am a LONG way from being a Bill Curlee or Evil Twin, but wouldn't any water getting passed the filter, also have to get passed the MAF...
at the very least it would make it run crappy and possibly throw some codes if the MAF was seeing some water? Possibly ruin the MAF.
the maf is quite resilient actually. Cars have to be designed to be able to ingest some water. When you clean your maf, you see all the gunk that comes off of it, so a little water won't hurt a thing.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:35 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

That's correct. It's an air filter, not a water filter. Water will loosen the particles, and into your engine they go. Take your air filter out of your car and spray it all over with a water spray bottle until it drips into a glass. Just take a look at how much it "filters" the water. It doesn't. It makes it dirty. It's an air filter made for air. Imagine that.
a micron is a micron a filter will filter so many microns water or air, also you are supposed to use the special oil spray for the filter witch would also repel the water. Bottom line all of you can bicker about this all you want, I am keeping my Vararam !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-24-2015, 03:52 PM
jhopper408
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Yeah same here. I still say its common sense. Geeze!!!
Old 03-24-2015, 04:14 PM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

That's fine by you. I'd like to have one too, but due to the driving conditions I subject the car to, I can't have one.

I've worked with everything from commercial size aquarium systems to professional show quality African cichlid aquariums for over 15 years, and I've seen just about every type of filter media you can think of from reverse osmosis to de-ionizing resin chambers to water polishing media. I've also used just about every type of car filter from oiled filters, dryflow filters, nanofiber filters, foam filters, and paper filters. One thing I can tell you is that no automotive air filter I have ever seen is even remotely close to the type of filter media you use for water.

Water is a solvent, and it will loosen dirt from your filter. Water filtration requires much denser media (typically multi-stage) and requires steady positive laminar flow in order to function efficiently. Air filters for cars have much larger voids because they require more flow. Dirt and other particles do not dissolve in air, so it is much easier to filter out the larger particles. When water is introduced to an air filter and is allowed to pass through, it dissolves the soluble substances in your filter into tiny little pieces too small for the coarse filter to catch, and into your engine it goes. In the case of an oiled filter, the oil is only there to trap the particles. The particles do not dissolve in the oil, and plenty of them remain on the surface ready to be dissolved by water. In fact you probably run an even higher danger with an oiled filter because they hardly even filter anything. The voids are enormous. When exposed to water, it could loosen literally chunks into your engine. That's why no OEM uses an oiled filter... because they barely work.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:33 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

My background in includes 10 years managing over 140 construction equipment from bulldozers to 100 ton cranes with the filters mostly out in the open they did not shut down because of rain. With all that we have gone back and forth you have answered the topic the filter is made to filter air(then) so whether it’s the factory filter or aftermarket it will not stop water ??????
Old 03-25-2015, 11:02 AM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by akapounder
My background in includes 10 years managing over 140 construction equipment from bulldozers to 100 ton cranes with the filters mostly out in the open they did not shut down because of rain. With all that we have gone back and forth you have answered the topic the filter is made to filter air(then) so whether it’s the factory filter or aftermarket it will not stop water ??????
The filter isn't designed to stop water, the air inlet is. Stock or aftermarket filter doesn't make a difference. lot of research goes into the location of the air inlet to make sure it doesn't ingest water on every car.

Last edited by SaberD; 03-25-2015 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:43 PM
BLEKVET
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 150 Posts

Not really sure how this is a real topic. Everyone knows you cannot drive Corvettes in the rain. Therefore, no worries about ingesting incompressible water. Geeez. What's the next post about ? Rainbows, fairies, and pots of gold ?

Get notified of new replies

To Vararam and water ingestion... fact or fiction?

Old 03-26-2015, 09:02 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I hate to think how many engines were ruined by water ingestion years ago when mechanics held throttles open and poured a cup of water down through the carburetor to "clean" the carbon out of the combustion chambers.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:03 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

My 97 had a vararam AND a centri-blower. Drove it through the heaviest of texas downpours with no problems.

The ONLY time you'll have water issues is if you drive though standing water up to the intakes.....but if you do that, you have perception issues.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:20 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Fact:

1 The Vararam will increase HP

2 Driving in the rain will not effect the performance of the Vararam

3 If your stupid enough to drive in standing water that is more than 6 inches deep... then the Vararam may be down the list of your problems.

Fiction:

1 The Vararam has caused hydro lock driving in the rain.

2 The Vararam will make 40hp

3 You can drive in DEEP water and not expect LOTS of problems...

Quick Reply: Vararam and water ingestion... fact or fiction?