Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vararam and water ingestion... fact or fiction?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 10:28 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by 73Corvette
Fact:

1 The Vararam will increase HP

2 Driving in the rain will not effect the performance of the Vararam

3 If your stupid enough to drive in standing water that is more than 6 inches deep... then the Vararam may be down the list of your problems.

Fiction:

1 The Vararam has caused hydro lock driving in the rain.

2 The Vararam will make 40hp

3 You can drive in DEEP water and not expect LOTS of problems...
I don't know how much HP increase is attributed to the Vararam. How much HP does it take to push a 3000 pound vehicle through the standing quarter mile three tenths of a second faster? That is the average report of people who track their cars and make only the Vararam addition.

Dyno testing doesn't give a complete picture because it is static on air flow, not dynamic.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:35 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

[QUOTE=BADBIRDCAGE;1589270838]I don't know how much HP increase is attributed to the Vararam. How much HP does it take to push a 3000 pound vehicle through the standing quarter mile three tenths of a second faster? That is the average report of people who track their cars and make only the Vararam addition.

Dang you had to ask... I just saw that in a post the other day doing some research... I should have saved it... but, one of the brainiacs will know the answer to that question...

Some crazy math thing... X HP = Tenths of Second in 1/4 mile...hell, I have trouble with simple math.

Last edited by 73Corvette; 03-26-2015 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:56 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

The only way I could see of getting enough water rammed up the intake to do damage is if you were driving in a downpour and ended up in a deep puddle you probably could not see.

Anyone trying to deliberately drive through deep enough standing water to do damage (it would be in the car with you for starters - you just might notice that), in a Vette with or without a Vararam is kind of asking for it.

That being said, there are posts on here and other BB's referencing hydrolock. Google C5 hydrolock.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:34 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Some crazy math thing... X HP = Tenths of Second in 1/4 mile...hell, I have trouble with simple math.
Is there a term in that equation for "inches of standing water at the start line"?
Old 03-27-2015, 10:00 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
Is there a term in that equation for "inches of standing water at the start line"?
Probably not, and it wouldn't apply in CA anyway. Don't they say it never rains in Southern California?
Old 03-27-2015, 10:41 AM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE
Probably not, and it wouldn't apply in CA anyway. Don't they say it never rains in Southern California?
Not quite "never", but when it does, it sure seems to line up with races at Pomona or Fontana. Last week's dry race was an aberration.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:41 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

I don't know how much HP increase is attributed to the Vararam. How much HP does it take to push a 3000 pound vehicle through the standing quarter mile three tenths of a second faster? That is the average report of people who track their cars and make only the Vararam addition.

Dyno testing doesn't give a complete picture because it is static on air flow, not dynamic.
He's not talking about standing water. Not sure where the "standing quarter mile" came from but have heard it for a long time. I think the "standing" means from a dead stop. Someone else may know more about where that phrase originated and what it means. It's odd to me that in our conversations we say so many things that we really, don't have much of a idea where it came from, we just except it as part of our normal vernacular.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:45 AM
jhopper408
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

It feels like 40 HP at 100 mph. Lol
Old 03-27-2015, 10:55 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

He's not talking about standing water. Not sure where the "standing quarter mile" came from but have heard it for a long time. I think the "standing" means from a dead stop. Someone else may know more about where that phrase originated and what it means. It's odd to me that in our conversations we say so many things that we really, don't have much of a idea where it came from, we just except it as part of our normal vernacular.

As provided in Lee's post I believe "inches of standing water" relates to measured depth of a body of water. Taking the comment as being provided in a facetious manner (joking) it would apply that you don't want to run your Vararam in conditions that would allow excessive ingestion if water into your engine.

If memory serves me you are correct on that standing quarter mile relates starting fom a "standing/stopped" position.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:58 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
Not quite "never", but when it does, it sure seems to line up with races at Pomona or Fontana. Last week's dry race was an aberration.
I lived in South San Diego in the early 80's. When it did rain it was miserable. Water plus border dust = slime. That stuff would build up on the tires like it was goose grease. Without the rain I have never lived anywhere with better weather.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:06 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

As provided in Lee's post I believe "inches of standing water" relates to measured depth of a body of water. Taking the comment as being provided in a facetious manner (joking) it would apply that you don't want to run your Vararam in conditions that would allow excessive ingestion if water into your engine.

If memory serves me you are correct on that standing quarter mile relates starting fom a "standing/stopped" position.

Quick Reply: Vararam and water ingestion... fact or fiction?