Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Compartment Covers

Old 03-24-2015, 10:48 PM
rdecker8
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Compartment Covers

I have a 99 hardtop (fixed roof). I purchased this car used and need to know if the three compartments in the trunk had covers on them when new. The two outside compartments don't appear to have ever had a cover but the middle compartment has a narrow indentation around the compartment and two metal fasteners that a cover would clip to. Need to know for restoration purposes, like things as they were. Thanks.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:05 PM
kabluie
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a '98 and it came with covers over all three tubs. Notice the two holes on the side of each tube. The covers have a little thermos bottle thingys that goes into the hole and when you push the little clip to close it, the bottom expands. If you could find the little "thingys" you could easily make the covers.

Where to buy them? There's probably a vender on here that sells them.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:21 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

The 1999 Hardtops only came with the center compartment cover. The two outer small compartments had no covers, nor did they have the anchor brackets for them installed. The outers can be retrofitted fairly easily though.

HTH
Old 03-25-2015, 01:41 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

FRC's and Z06's did not come with covers. What I did was get some 1/4" masonite and made my own. Cut them to the shape of the openings, get some carpeting in Walmart's auto dept., it looks very close to the stock trunk carpeting and some 3M spray glue. The rest should be self explanatory.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:30 AM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 440 Likes on 324 Posts

I can understand liking things they way they were and you should make the car the way you want it. I will offer an observation.

I have an '03 Z06 and they don't come with covers. I was planning to make my own. After owning the car for awhile, I realized the wells come in handy for keeping items from moving around the trunk. The center well is perfect for my computer bag. Side compartments for milk jugs, 8 packs of soda, etc. I use my car almost exclusively when weather permits.

If I had made the covers, I would be either moving them constantly to put stuff in the wells or they would be sitting in my garage. If I understand correctly, the factory covers are fairly flimsy and tend to bow over time, especially if items are stored on top of them. Those with covers can confirm or deny.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your car!
Old 03-25-2015, 09:34 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Originally Posted by striper
FRC's and Z06's did not come with covers. What I did was get some 1/4" masonite and made my own. Cut them to the shape of the openings, get some carpeting in Walmart's auto dept., it looks very close to the stock trunk carpeting and some 3M spray glue. The rest should be self explanatory.
Actually the "FRCs" (Hardtops) came with the center cover installed; only the two outer covers were not.
FWIW, the factory covers - either new or used - can be installed as well. In the case of the Hardtops at least, the anchor brackets need to be installed as well of course.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:52 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 3sACROWD
........ If I understand correctly, the factory covers are fairly flimsy and tend to bow over time, especially if items are stored on top of them. Those with covers can confirm or deny.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your car!
Although not the strongest material in the world, the factory center cover does have a couple aluminum braces on the underside for re-enforcement. The outer covers, being smaller, really don't need any.

You can see the braces on the bottom side of this cover on ebay here:

After installing a sub-woofer in the center compartment, I chose to modify my center cover by peeling back just enough of the factory carpet and cutting a square hole and installing a stamped-metal grill. Re-glue the carpet back in place.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:16 AM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 440 Likes on 324 Posts

Thanks for the picture LoneStarFRC. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:22 PM
2FAS4UU
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
The 1999 Hardtops only came with the center compartment cover. The two outer small compartments had no covers, nor did they have the anchor brackets for them installed. The outers can be retrofitted fairly easily though.

HTH
That's how my 99' FRC is equipped, but I made templates from my friends vert that has the two additional covers and made some. I used peg board for the covers and after centering fitment I added one bottom aluminum angle bracket to prevent it from moving around and found factory carpet and simply glued it on, looks cleaner than the factory ones with the clips.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:57 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 534 Likes on 490 Posts

Although not the strongest material in the world, the factory center cover does have a couple aluminum braces on the underside for re-enforcement. The outer covers, being smaller, really don't need any.

You can see the braces on the bottom side of this cover on ebay here:

After installing a sub-woofer in the center compartment, I chose to modify my center cover by peeling back just enough of the factory carpet and cutting a square hole and installing a stamped-metal grill. Re-glue the carpet back in place.
Never looked at the bottom before; yep, ribbing is identical to mine. I put metal speaker stands (side biz) back there weekly. No problem so far.
Good place for a battery re weight distribution, leak issues on PCM...
Old 03-25-2015, 03:56 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

HTH
my 99 has all three covers ????????????????
Old 03-25-2015, 05:14 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Originally Posted by akapounder
my 99 has all three covers ????????????????
Is "my 99" a coupe????????????????????
Old 03-25-2015, 05:16 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 2FAS4UU
That's how my 99' FRC is equipped, but I made templates from my friends vert that has the two additional covers and made some. I used peg board for the covers and after centering fitment I added one bottom aluminum angle bracket to prevent it from moving around and found factory carpet and simply glued it on, looks cleaner than the factory ones with the clips.
That'll work.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:29 PM
rdecker8
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the replies, i'm going with the center cover only.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:46 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Is "my 99" a coupe????????????????????
Sorry, when I see hardtop I think coupe !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-26-2015, 03:17 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

When I made mine I only made the center cover. I like being able to use the side pockets for keeping stuff from moving around, besides the right side one on the Z06 holds the tire repair kit which is too high to fit under a cover. I also keep some cleaning supplies in there too. Now I did make the center cover as I described. However I added one feature to it. West Coast Corvette offers a cover that hinges near the back end so you can change CD cartridges in cars that have the changer without having to move the lid if the trunk is loaded. I had put the changer in my Z so I bought a long piano hinge at Home Depot and hinged mine for easier access. Makes getting things out from underneath easier at times. I don't have the changer anymore since i upgraded the radio. Install the hinge first and then carpet right over it so it won't be seen.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Compartment Covers

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Compartment Covers