Sponsored by:

Service Steering column fault- RECALL MODULE FAILURE

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 10:08 AM
Bloodvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Service Steering column fault- RECALL MODULE FAILURE

So my 99 M6 had the recall for the steering column before i acquired it (verified when i bought it). So no problems until the other day. Getting the pull key 10 sec, service column fault and 2 mile per hour fuel shutoff. Luckily i was at home when it happened. Did some research of where to find the connector, wanted to just check there was no corrosion or moisture in the connectors or bypass module, so i remove the knee bolster, found the connector, found the added module which was clipped in series with the steering column lock. I'm assuming for the recall, the connector had been unhooked, and this harness consisting of 2 relays and 2 connectors had been put in the middle. I know this was the add on because the wire colors of the add on harness didnt match the factory wire colors, and when I took it out of the picture, the harness wires (4wires) on both sides of the connector now match. Purple to purple, same for orange, green and black. And get this, car starts no problem, no faults. I am suspecting that the recall add on relay module has actually failed. I tried swapping the 2 relays (same part numbers) no different. I know the locking plate has been removed because the steering wheel doesn't lock. However i can hear the motor. So all this means that the factory equipment is working fine(electrically) but the recall is what screwed me. (Not nearly as bad as if the steering column were to lock while driving- which is why the recall came out). So I'm looking for advice, should i leave it like this, replace the recall part (if its available), or order an LMC5? Or any other suggestions? It is not a huge rush, obviously my factory stuff is still working as it was designed, but it wouldn't hurt to prevent the future problem.

Thx J
Old 04-08-2015, 10:25 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Bloodvette
So my 99 M6 had the recall for the steering column before i acquired it (verified when i bought it). So no problems until the other day. Getting the pull key 10 sec, service column fault and 2 mile per hour fuel shutoff. Luckily i was at home when it happened. Did some research of where to find the connector, wanted to just check there was no corrosion or moisture in the connectors or bypass module, so i remove the knee bolster, found the connector, found the added module which was clipped in series with the steering column lock. I'm assuming for the recall, the connector had been unhooked, and this harness consisting of 2 relays and 2 connectors had been put in the middle. I know this was the add on because the wire colors of the add on harness didnt match the factory wire colors, and when I took it out of the picture, the harness wires (4wires) on both sides of the connector now match. Purple to purple, same for orange, green and black. And get this, car starts no problem, no faults. I am suspecting that the recall add on relay module has actually failed. I tried swapping the 2 relays (same part numbers) no different. I know the locking plate has been removed because the steering wheel doesn't lock. However i can hear the motor. So all this means that the factory equipment is working fine(electrically) but the recall is what screwed me. (Not nearly as bad as if the steering column were to lock while driving- which is why the recall came out). So I'm looking for advice, should i leave it like this, replace the recall part (if its available), or order an LMC5? Or any other suggestions? It is not a huge rush, obviously my factory stuff is still working as it was designed, but it wouldn't hurt to prevent the future problem.

Thx J
There is only ONE way to FIX the column lock issue either the CLB or the LMC5...the LMC5 is IMHO the easier and more fool proof of the two ways to actually FIX the problem....ANYTHING else is just a band aid.
Call Richard at Compliance parts and visit with him, you will be GLAD you did and you can thank me later...
Old 04-08-2015, 10:47 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

I consider the LMC5 to be the best Column Lock problem permanent fix out there. It also does not require you to “undo” any previous CL attempts to resolve this issue. Their eBay ads have a good video that shows the install at the BCM. It does not cover everything in the written instructions. So, read the instructions and also here is some extra info. In some cases, the BCM timing is off just enough to cause some issues. They make several versions and they can swap out/provide one of these if you have any issues. Their customer support is as good as it gets.

Not uncommon for people to "put the column in a pre-lock condition" and not know it and then start with the install. In other words, they started with the column lock “energized’ even if it was not actually locked yet. If not actually locked yet, it will be as soon as you turn the steering wheel after the LMC5 install. It will then remain in the locked condition until you cause the motor to unlock. It will then remain in the unlocked condition since the motor is then unpowered with the circuits disconnected.

Here is one way to prevent that if your column locks and unlocks normally:

If the CL is functioning normally you don't not need the Unlocker, merely turn the ignition ON, pull fuse #23, turn ignition OFF, turn the steering wheel (left and right) and verify it is unlocked. Next, disconnect the negative battery terminal, re-insert fuse #23 and continue with the install.

Compliance Parts website: http://complianceparts.com/index.html

Based on your year it will also allow you to disconnect the CL relay. I have that info at home.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:48 AM
grandotitat
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just get the LMC5. Very easy installation with very clear instructions on what to do according to your particular situation and you will be good to go without thinking about this in the future.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:05 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Thanks Sam...as usual you are the man!
Old 04-08-2015, 11:18 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

8vette7 is the foremost authority on Column Lock. He may know more about it than the GM engineers did.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:11 PM
Bloodvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys. LMC5 part is on order. 8VETTE7, i see u know your stuff, i will take your word. I've searched this topic and have read some very helpful information alot from you. I bet my relay(s) in my "recall add on harness" are pooched like the picture you posted, but that's besides the point. Got it pinpointed. Part is on order. Now we'll see how unlucky I am. Knowing my lucky, the factory steering lock/unlock motor will fail this week even though its been working since 1999. Ha. Thanks again everybody.

Get notified of new replies

To Service Steering column fault- RECALL MODULE FAILURE

Quick Reply: Service Steering column fault- RECALL MODULE FAILURE