Selling the vette and new tires' choices

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 12:51 PM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Selling the vette and new tires' choices

I've been toying with the idea of selling my '01 coupe, which presently has Z06 wheels. If I do decide to sell it, I intend to do so with the original thin spokes, which I've stored (and keep the Z06 wheels). There are no tires with the thin spokes, so I'll need to get some. I'm interested in your collective thoughts as to whether it would be better to just go ahead and buy a set of tires and have them installed, or to let the future buyer choose what tires he or she would want to run. Since the price of tires varies widely, my thought would be that the buyer would pay for the tires, and I would pay to have them mounted and balanced. Obviously the selling price would take into account this scenario. Would this be too confusing for the potential buyer, or would/should he welcome the opportunity to pick what he wants?
Old 04-12-2015, 01:13 PM
peteinpa
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts

Having sold a couple of cars privately, IMHO make it as easy as possible for a potential buyer. You can do it one of 2 ways, sell the car with the existing wheels/tires and throw in the thin spokes, or buy some tires and mount them. I would not make them chose a tire etc...

You want to make the transaction as easy and hassle free for a buyer.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:36 PM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 777 Likes on 438 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

Move the existing tires and sensors to the old wheels and mount them before you advertise the car for sale.

That way you can store the Z06 wheels.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:38 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,291 Likes on 13,965 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Sell the car with a new set of tires - but you don't have to buy a $1-1.5K set. There are a lot of very good tires that cost in the $500-650 price range (like the Hankook Ventus V12s) that would be a good choice without breaking the bank.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:45 PM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by corvettezman
Move the existing tires and sensors to the old wheels and mount them before you advertise the car for sale.

That way you can store the Z06 wheels.
2 issues with this that would make me reluctant to go this route. First is the size differences of the tires on the Z06 rims versus the OEM sizing for the thin spokes. Second, these tires are getting old and will soon be due for replacement.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:48 PM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Sell the car with a new set of tires - but you don't have to buy a $1-1.5K set. There are a lot of very good tires that cost in the $500-650 price range (like the Hankook Ventus V12s) that would be a good choice without breaking the bank.
I hear ya'. As it is, thinking about new tires, I go back and forth between summer rubber and A/S (it does get cold here), never mind runflats for those who like the security of having them
Old 04-12-2015, 01:52 PM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by peteinpa
Having sold a couple of cars privately, IMHO make it as easy as possible for a potential buyer. You can do it one of 2 ways, sell the car with the existing wheels/tires and throw in the thin spokes, or buy some tires and mount them. I would not make them chose a tire etc...

You want to make the transaction as easy and hassle free for a buyer.
Pete, I normally would agree with you insofar as making this as easy as possible, but we all know how picky or neurotic Corvette owners can be about some details Don't want the "wrong" tires to be a deal breaker
Old 04-12-2015, 04:54 PM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 777 Likes on 438 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by wamara
2 issues with this that would make me reluctant to go this route. First is the size differences of the tires on the Z06 rims versus the OEM sizing for the thin spokes. Second, these tires are getting old and will soon be due for replacement.
You're talking real Z06 wheels here.
I thought they were repro in C5 stock sizes. I had a set of those years ago, so my mind went that route.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:58 PM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by corvettezman
You're talking real Z06 wheels here.
I thought they were repro in C5 stock sizes. I had a set of those years ago, so my mind went that route.
Correct - they are the OEM polished Z16 rims.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:10 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

I agree to make it as easy for the buyer as possible.

I would buy a set of tires for the thinspokes. They don't have to be expensive ones. For a resale, any new tire will be a selling point even if they are inexpensive ones.

Also, for resale they don't even have to be new, just good tread and not too old. You can even get some used if you want to go cheap. I found a practically new set of Hankook V12's on a set of trashed wagon wheels that the seller had listed for a while and could not sell because the wheels were so bad. I got a smoking good deal on almost new (under 1000 miles) tires with wheels. I also sold the wagons after I painted them to make it an even better deal.

There are lots of options, but just have the car ready to sell as it sits when someone takes a look at it. They don't want to wait and go through the hassle of a service appointment before they even get the car. They want to get in and enjoy a new car.

Good luck with your sale.
Old 04-12-2015, 09:34 PM
GEODON
Team Owner

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

bestusedtires.com

Get notified of new replies

To Selling the vette and new tires' choices

Quick Reply: Selling the vette and new tires' choices