Sponsored by:

C5 OEM Quarter Panel Apsis C6Z Splash Guard Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 11:21 PM
Breze84
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default C5 OEM Quarter Panel Apsis C6Z Splash Guard Question

If anyone has installed these I had a few questions... As clean as my C5Z is the previous owner installed some ugly splash guards on the rear of the car. I have recently been cleaning up my suspension and decided to remove them. I knew getting into it that the previous owner drilled holes in the bottom of the bumper clip and up into the QP. The only way to cover the holes up was to go with a more appealing splash guard such as the Apsis C6Z's... I like the way these look but they seem to have too much of a radius on them so I have to flex and stress them to follow the contour of the wheel well which I dont like too much because they are fiberglass and imo that is going to put added strain on the new self tapping screws I have to drill into the QP and bottom bumper clip. If I dont do this and just mock it up loosely it fits perfect until the upper 1/3 portion of the guard "which would be the Tip" It hooks over and leaves about 3/8" open gap until it will touch the QP. If I do the opposite and fit the top up flush it then causes the bottom to kick out. I also noticed that I have to kind of grab the guard and QP and squeeze them together to keep the tip from running wild on the outside of the QP. I am trying to keep it tucked into the wheel well as much as possible for a factory look, The rubber seal on it limits how much I can do this but I can pretty much stress everything into place.

I am still concerned though that once I muscle everything to where I like it and I have someone drill the holes and screw them in, that overtime the "unnatural" resting position of the splash guard is going to want to tear them screws out of the QP which would utterly suck. Now I have thought about maybe putting metal screw tabs behind the lip of the QP to grab the screw instead of just using a self taping screw that Apsis suggest.

At the end of the day spending $250 bucks for 2 pieces of fiberglass these should fit gucci, But it is what it is... Sorry for the long write up guys but what do you think
Old 04-14-2015, 12:40 AM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Just make sure if you do get them, pay with a credit card that will go to battle for you if need be.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:47 PM
Breze84
Drifting

Just thought I would update Not that anyone had any input hahaha, I ended up trimming them a bit and reinserting the rubber strip that goes against the body. Fits perfect now...

Old 04-28-2015, 08:06 PM
BLEKVET
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 150 Posts

Looks fantastic ! I want C6Z splash guards on my C5Z something fierce. Just keep seeing posts about frustrating trimming and fitting. I guess I'm just gonna have to make the effort. Good job Op !
Old 04-28-2015, 08:30 PM
Breze84
Drifting

Originally Posted by BLEKVET
Looks fantastic ! I want C6Z splash guards on my C5Z something fierce. Just keep seeing posts about frustrating trimming and fitting. I guess I'm just gonna have to make the effort. Good job Op !
Thanks buddy
Old 04-28-2015, 08:44 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,234 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

that you got them to fit. Looks great. Too bad that you had to do some trimming though - for that money they should fit perfect right out of the box.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:16 AM
Breze84
Drifting

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
that you got them to fit. Looks great. Too bad that you had to do some trimming though - for that money they should fit perfect right out of the box.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 OEM Quarter Panel Apsis C6Z Splash Guard Question

Quick Reply: C5 OEM Quarter Panel Apsis C6Z Splash Guard Question