Sponsored by:

Please read this before buying Corsa exhaust. I am very disappointed

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 04:31 PM
1999C5JSS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please read this before buying Corsa exhaust. I am very disappointed

I like to address a problem I have had for the last 2 weeks with Corsa exhaust.

car in question is a
1999 C5 completely stock one owner perfect example C5.

parts I ordered are

1-Corsa X Pipe (New)
2-Corsa sport exhaust with pro tips (New)

installation was done by myself. I am a certified Tech and the help of 2 other certified techs at work.

the system was bought new and shipped to my sister in the usa. when she came into Canada she brought over my parcels .

after the cost of products/exchange rate/tax/duties I have almost $2000 to own the system for my car.

to start off I have access to hoist so the install should have been very easy to get done.

but ended up 2 weeks sitting on hoist while I tried to have Corsa tech support help me with my issues.

first issue was the corsa x pipe install. I followed instructions on paper and video. where the 2 cuts need to be made on the factory pipe. this was marked and cut with chain cutter just like in video and was easy to do.

after full exhaust oem was removed I went to install the x pipe. which did not fit it was 1/4" in compared to the oem pipes. what I did was use a belt strap and squeezed the 2 pipes from oem to allow me to line up and fit the corsa x pipe..

so first problem was this but I did get it on all the way and took pics to show corsa how far onto the oem cat pipes I slip over the x pipe.

next was the over axle pipes. these go on easy. you use new gaskets here and tighten up to the x pipe. torque spec was provided.

next we have mufflers with the angle pipes. these are fitted by using the oem rubber hangers.

at this stage we have a full system installed but not tighten up yet.

after playing around with adjustments. i just could not get tips to line up. after many tries I contacted Corsa. with many back and forth with them, long story short I was told I have adjustment problems and need to focus on this because the system is made correct.

so I was told to level the x pipe to the car. this is done with a level and undo clamps on the x pipe. twist the x pipe to get where needed and lock down. ok good this was done and now I have a perfect level x pipe. this measurement was by the flanges that connect to the over axle pipe.
just as Corsa asked me to get at.

now we have over axle pipes going over tranny area and down towards sway bar. first thing I see is how high the connection from over axle pipe to elbow joint is..

the pass side is much higher. this to me was a red flag and I told Corsa this has to be my issue but was told to make adjustments to the elbows. currently the pass side muffler is jammed to heat shield and driver side is hitting bumper.

now its true the elbow pipes do a lot in regards to adjustments but you are limited to the fact that the rubber hangers are holding mufflers to car so your movement of adjustment is limited. no matter what I try I can not get tips in line. I even offered 100 bucks to some other techs to try and no one could get system to work out.

one adjustment I tried which was not to corsa specs. was to twist x pipe so that the over axle to elbow joint is level to car. with this adjustment this joint is perfect level to the car but if you took measurement at the x pipe to over axle joint this is now way off.

this helped to get mufflers better but still way off. one thing here I noticed was. when looking from side of car. you see over axle joint to elbow level to car but the tilt is off. one is facing up and other is facing down. this is no good since it effect mufflers position.

after car being on hoist 2 weeks and back and forth ever day with corsa. I am no closer to getting tips correct.

I asked Corsa to assemble a system on the floor at their shop to see how the angles are on a another system but was ignored and no reply was given. I emailed again after few days asking for a replacement over axle pipe/elbows and hardware to be mailed to me and was told they will not do this . I was offered to drive car to a car show in south part of states and they would try to correct tips but being as I am in Canada this was not a option.

long story short I have close to 2000 dollars into set up 2 weeks of trying to correct and still have a set up that is way off with no support from Corsa. so to those of you who are thinking of getting a new exhaust keep me in mind a certified tech who has install 1000 exhausts and with the help of 2-3 other techs could not get system to work. I regret toying with my exhaust now.

Last edited by 1999C5JSS; 04-16-2015 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:55 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts
Default Corsa

If I were to ever replace my stock Ti axle backs, Corsa would have been #1 (well, maybe the only one I'd consider). Sound, good. Nice tips, yep (not a fan of the stock Ti tips). Quality, thought so.
Odd that so many have had these without issues, but this must be a QA/QC issue. Every manufacturer has faulty fit items (ask me about my headers), but if they stand behind it and fix the problem, then we must look past.
I'm also in Canada (Kelowna BC, where you at?), and can't get past how little aftermarket stuff there is available here short of importing. I inched on designing, making and marketing my own headers, but with a young family... time prevented me from doing so. Looking back, should have.
Paying the freight (many companies really over-charge for freight!), exchange, import duties, taxes... My $500 headers end up being over $1000, then add cats and X (both from Canada, so that part was good!, plug Hott Exhaust for their good pricing/service). I'm into my headers, cats and X (using most of my stock mid-pipe) for probably just short of $2000... for $500 headers.
Stealing your thunder, sorry!
I feel for you, and thanks for the warning.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:00 PM
RVETT42
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to see pic of how far off tips are from lining up. I have installed an x pipe before and know what you mean about getting them to fit. As long as the length is right you should be good with it. One other place you can make an adjustment at is the rubber hangers. They can be unbolted. They have two screws that hod them on. It will give more room for adjustment. Also when you screw your rubber hangers back up. They can be moved around slightly for better adjustment.

Last edited by RVETT42; 04-16-2015 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:10 PM
Torch Rot Z
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry to hear about what your going through, but Corsa's track record with me and countless others is going to keep me buying their products until something catastrophic happens. Good luck getting your situation handled.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:35 PM
1999C5JSS
Instructor

Originally Posted by Torch Rot Z
Sorry to hear about what your going through, but Corsa's track record with me and countless others is going to keep me buying their products until something catastrophic happens. Good luck getting your situation handled.
I agree and this is why I went with Corsa when doing my research.

I am sure there is million guys happy with set up

but at the end of the day there is a issue here and I am out to share with others and hoping to get my car corrected so I can enjoy
Old 04-16-2015, 05:48 PM
corv1998
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I had a similar problem with bb bullets tips not lining up.No matter witch way I twisted elbows still off.called manufacturer and as I metal fabricate all the time I had to cut a slice in throat of elbow to increase radius and re_weld , you may have to change hanger, or piping .nothing is ever easy no matter price.find a fabricator.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:16 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

I did mine on jackstands, and they lined up. Close enough, anyway.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:17 PM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 123 Posts

You can add some extra hangers here to better hold the position
and keep it from moving.

Installation of the hangers is very easy.

Here they are next to the sway bar

Last edited by StrangelovesM6Vert; 04-16-2015 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:39 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

I knew there was a reason I had the Chevy Dealership install my Corsa X-pipe and Tiger Sharks several years ago! Definitely looks like you have something going on upstream of the catbacks to me!

I dropped my car off at the Dealership with the Corsa parts one morning and they had everything installed and out by noon. They charged me $250, but the reason I had them do it is because they would warranty the work (if they screwed something up). When I got the car back, the Tiger Shark tips were just a little off, so I loosened the catback clamps, adjusted and re-torqued - took me about 3 tries to get them perfect - they have stayed aligned for about 8 years so far.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:48 PM
1999C5JSS
Instructor

car looks great. for those posting pictures I would love to see underside shots to see how ur bends are compared to mine.

and I do own a Lincoln tig welder but for what I paid for system I should not have to mod anything to make it dead on. but thanks for your trying to help me
Old 04-16-2015, 07:07 PM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 123 Posts

As a work around for your specific problem you can add an extra flange and use 2 gaskets on the passenger side of the X pipe to space the muffler back even with the driver side.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:43 PM
RSbeast
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

Your X pipe may be level but is it true in the tunnel side to side? Where the flanges on the over axle are perpendicular to the rear subframe, same distance from side of car etc. I'd guess the x is on the factory cut exhaust on a slight angle which would probably give you fits by the time you got to the back.

No reason for a 'tech' to have a car on the lift for two weeks over an axleback. Either fix it or return it. Anytime you splice into existing you are assuming the factory stuff is spot on...to which my OEM stuff was less than stellar.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:20 PM
Bimmervet
Melting Slicks

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I put mine on myself. No problems at all. Your weld seam looks a bit off.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:28 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,287 Likes on 13,963 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Sorry you are having so many problems with your Corsa system. My car has the Indy Pace Car system on it and fits very well. Hope somehow you can get it straightened out - that's a lot of money spent to be unhappy.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:16 AM
olbear1962
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Sorry you are having so many problems with your Corsa system. My car has the Indy Pace Car system on it and fits very well. Hope somehow you can get it straightened out - that's a lot of money spent to be unhappy.
good luck
Old 04-17-2015, 06:47 AM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Sorry to hear about your issues. I had absolutely no problems installing my Corsa X-pipe and Xtreme catback. Tips lined up much easier than the Magnaflows I had previously. I am extremely happy with mine.

Question: Are you sure that the rest of of your exhaust is stock? I cannot understand why the Corsa pipes would be a 1/4" smaller in diameter. It doesn't make sense. Mine slipped on with minimal force. I think that your problems are probably stemming from improper fit of the x-pipe which can throw the rest of the catback alignment way off.

Good luck with your issues.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:37 AM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 716 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Torch Rot Z

Get notified of new replies

To Please read this before buying Corsa exhaust. I am very disappointed

Old 04-17-2015, 08:03 AM
oharal
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 219 Posts

Dang that really sucks. I put my Corsa Xtremes on in my driveway with jacks in no time. They were super high quality and fit like a dream.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:13 AM
1999C5JSS
Instructor

Current tips

Old 04-21-2015, 01:52 PM
RBS_Z51C5
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999C5JSS
Current tips

Wow, your ordeal is similar to mine. My tips looked like that too until yesterday. After roughly 2 weeks of periodic adjustments, my corsa sport catback is finally on there to my liking. I basically ended up using a floor jack to lift up on each muffler (car was on jackstands) too align each side and then tighten the crap out of the system so hopefully it doesn't move. I was having all kinds of issues with the over axle pipes rubbing when I did have the tips lined up. Im crossing my fingers that the system will stay in place now.

My old SLP Loudmouth lined up so easy, took maybe 30 minutes to install. I've probably put a total of 12 hours actual time in this Corsa catback. I pray I won't have to touch it again for quite awhile. The tips are still not 100% perfectly alligned, but much, much better than your pictures above, which is what they looked like for almost 2 weeks.

Last edited by RBS_Z51C5; 04-21-2015 at 02:18 PM. Reason: add picture

Quick Reply: Please read this before buying Corsa exhaust. I am very disappointed