Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You may not want to reply, but which mods have you regretted???

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 04:52 PM
Socko
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Outside the magnet keyhole cover and the short antenna, every mod i do to my car i regret some days.

Rivals suck in the cold
Kooks headers are leaky at the collector
brakes are squeky
built trans is noisey and sketchy when really cold
clutch is hard and grabby
tilton 7/8" master is heavy

At the same time all these things are awesome on the track. Anyone who has a multipurpose car should regret more or less every decision they make. Even if its a great compromise, it is a compromise and therefor its regretable depending on what the car is being used for that day. When you are on track you wish you had that 24x/24x cam, when you are on the street you wish you still had a stock one.

My car is still streetable enough I don't make excuses not to drive it. When it gets to the point I don't want to drive it then i will truely regret what I have done, but i am working hard to not go to far with anything.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:15 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Socko
Outside the magnet keyhole cover and the short antenna, every mod i do to my car i regret some days.

Rivals suck in the cold
brakes are squeky

At the same time all these things are awesome on the track. Anyone who has a multipurpose car should regret more or less every decision they make. Even if its a great compromise, it is a compromise and therefor its regretable depending on what the car is being used for that day. When you are on track you wish you had that 24x/24x cam, when you are on the street you wish you still had a stock one.

My car is still streetable enough I don't make excuses not to drive it. When it gets to the point I don't want to drive it then i will truely regret what I have done, but i am working hard to not go to far with anything.
Dude that is a brutally honest post.. that is pretty insightful... and something that everyone that starts in the direction of "extreme" performance mods should read and ponder.... After being on the forum for a few months and learning as much as I can, I know I would never want to do mods that would put me over the 400 hp range for the street... NOT that it's a BAD thing... I just would not want all the fallout that goes along with doing it. The higher the HP goes the more of the domino effect comes into play... change this and then you have to change that, kind of stuff. And and a lot of it seems to just be trial and error... more error than trial. Valves, Rings, Clutches, Transmissions, Suspension, Exhaust, Tires... let alone the electronics, tuning, sensors, relays, wiring, connectors....it just appears to me to a pattern with highly modified cars... and again I'm NOT saying that is BAD or trying to tell someone at ALL not to do it... I totally get it... I'm just saying what I, ME, Myself have observed it and will keep me from doing very much in the way of performance mods that include almost ANY mechanical mods...
Old 04-24-2015, 05:34 PM
ultrvet
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default regretted mod

I put nitrous on my 1999 - I liked the power it added, but I didn't realize the hassle I had to go through to use it - open the bottle, turn on the heater, purge the line - for just street use with an occasional burst, it semed like a lot of prep

Plus I didn't realize how quickly you burn through a bottle and how much hassle it was to get it refilled, not to mention the cost

Went to a supercharger on my next car
Old 04-24-2015, 05:47 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

RPS clutch.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:27 PM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 716 Likes on 472 Posts

I have 2 regrets so far...
1 - I purchased a ZR1 style front splitter that caused the car to overheat & I had to take it off & the vendor wouldn't exchange it.
2 - I purchased an item from a vendor on this forum & am now having major quality issues with the product affecting the fitment on the car. In fairness to the vendor, I am giving him a chance to rectify the situation before naming him and the product.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:58 PM
got-20z
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HIDs.... Nothing but a pain. Took them out quicker than I put them in and trashed them. Bought a 4-on harness so now all 4 stay on during high beam... Does the job.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:36 PM
kennedy759
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tomikem
Bought the two dashboard air duct covers over the glove box to get more Heat/Cold on driver. They keep popping off and I don't want to permanently fix them. Anyone else have this problem?
yes I did, would not stay in place, I think they were made for a different year then mine, I have a 97 and the seller claims they snap on the vent handle, but my vent handles are too short.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:03 PM
mcrank
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mcrank
Carbon fiber hood from Carbon Creation, poorly made lot of cost at body shop
I see that I was not the only one missed lead by this hood but live a learn. hope reader do not make same mistake
Old 04-25-2015, 01:03 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,706 Likes on 1,668 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

Installing a Magnaflow X-pipe on my 02. It got rid of the growl/gurgle of the B&B Bullets which I liked.
Having a B&M short throw shifter on my 98. It sux. I just did a realignment on it and within a week it was back to having problems in 1st and 2nd.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:05 PM
LS1BlackBeauty98
Intermediate

Default 2004 Commemorative

I had a 2004 that I extensively modded. My biggest regret I did was lambo doors. They were nice to put up at a car show but that was it, other then that they never got used. Had two different shops slam the door shut and crack the fiberglass which they then had to repair. These doors you can't shut like normal, I use to shut them gently with the side of my leg.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:14 PM
LS1BlackBeauty98
Intermediate

I also did fake Z06 vents at one point which I quickly removed and installed the real ones. I put on a rear spoiler that you had to drill holes for, wasn't thrilled with it after a month but was stuck with it. Had a bad tint job done which I had to pay a second time to fix. Went through shorty headers and an x pipe and Corsa exhaust to long tube headers, x pipe and B & B Bullets. So basically bought two full exhausts. I definitely had numerous regrettable mods. Now I have a C6 Z06 and have learned from my previous mistakes
Old 04-25-2015, 07:12 PM
Gxpz06
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Milamo
I installed tail light extenders on my 99..I think they look great.
aGREE

Old 04-25-2015, 07:16 PM
Gxpz06
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by ultrvet
I put nitrous on my 1999 - I liked the power it added, but I didn't realize the hassle I had to go through to use it - open the bottle, turn on the heater, purge the line - for just street use with an occasional burst, it semed like a lot of prep

Plus I didn't realize how quickly you burn through a bottle and how much hassle it was to get it refilled, not to mention the cost

Went to a supercharger on my next car
YEP nitrous is for its intended use ... NOT THE street.... its for the track to shave 1 to 1.5 seconds off of a drag race for the ChEAPEST,quickest and savest Horsepower EVER.... for the street Definitely Boost with supercharge or turbo....
Old 04-26-2015, 12:10 AM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Socko

Rivals suck in the cold
brakes are squeky

Agreed, 100%. Many mods will have an impact on driveability, sometimes negative. Sure a big motor, big cam, built trans and gears are fun. But I don't care what anyone says, NO header or exhaust system is going to seal up nice like the factory exhaust. Sure, a lumpy cam sounds cool but no, it does not drive like stock. I have my car tuned by arguably one of the best, if not THE best tuners (Dr. Phil!) on the planet and still it won't drive like stock. The clutch is heavy, and it sucks in traffic. Taller gears means more shifting. Stiffer suspension? Sure, it handles better, but you also feel EVERY bump in the road. I'm not saying I regret modding my car, but there are a lot of trade offs and many times people won't admit it, or go into things not knowing what they are getting into.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:16 AM
avigar
Drifting

Received 263 Likes on 161 Posts

So far, all my current mods, I've been very happy with. No regrets here yet.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:30 AM
jdvann
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 253 Posts

Fortunately other than intakes and exhaust both of my cars are stock performance wise...on my vert, the PO installed stick on CF on the dash..it must have came loose and he glued it. Now I would have to replace the dash to get rid of it. And I just may, I hate it that much. I liked most of it, but the piece around the passenger side airbag pisses me off to no extent....

Last edited by jdvann; 04-26-2015 at 12:37 AM.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:25 AM
formula1nut
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

Default 2 regrets: Domed headlights and also Lloyds mats

My car is heavily modified. I have only two regrets. I actually have bought two sets of domed headlights and then could not bring myself to install them!

It may be only me but I was really disappointed in the Lloyds mats. They are vastly over-rated. The embroidery work is outstanding but the carpet material I find to be really inferior. Very thin and shows all dirt.

Get notified of new replies

To You may not want to reply, but which mods have you regretted???

Old 04-26-2015, 11:27 AM
Sam Handwich
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by formula1nut

It may be only me but I was really disappointed in the Lloyds mats. They are vastly over-rated. The embroidery work is outstanding but the carpet material I find to be really inferior. Very thin and shows all dirt.
I thought I read somewhere (on this forum?) that Lloyd's has several levels of material quality. In other words - all Lloyd's mats are not created equal?
Can anyone either verify or dispute that based on actual experience?
Old 04-26-2015, 12:56 PM
Koufax
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 142 Posts

Sure. The website indicates at least 3 quality levels, with the middle being the most popular. I bought the middle ones and have no complaints. Yes they show dirt - mine are black, so white and gray sand shows up immediately. I shake them off and they're as good as new.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:20 PM
darkounet
Advanced

My yank ss 4000 converter. Pretty amazing to launch hard or when downshifting but wow is it a pain to drive to get to work.

Quick Reply: You may not want to reply, but which mods have you regretted???