Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Depreciation... Your Cost Per Mile!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 09:31 PM
travbjork
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Depreciation... Your Cost Per Mile!?

Hey everyone,

I currently only have my 2003 Vert M6 with 60k miles and was thinking about one of the following to keep the miles low:
  • Getting a Second Car, likely a BMW or luxury sedan
  • Trading in for a low miles, later model C6

In your opinion (or crazy math), how much does your C5 depreciate in USD for *every* mile you drive?

Can't wait to hear the answers
Travis

Bonus: What the fudge is up with my sun visors breaking? Have you had sun visor issues?
Old 04-27-2015, 09:41 PM
Trios
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Travis, your C5 will not appreciate in any appreciable time period. Drive the car, it's meant to be driven.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:43 PM
travbjork
Racer

Haha, not so much worried about appreciation, just trying to keep a fine balance between miles, maintenance, and value.

This is just meant to be a fun exorcise in case someone has done the math before
Old 04-27-2015, 09:44 PM
Ericka
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy the Vette you want and keep it.. or buy last years for 20 less.)

my vette is worth 20 i paid 9

problem is rich people buy vettes. sell them for pennies.

bad investment. you should love your car.

Last edited by Ericka; 04-27-2015 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:45 PM
c51stvette
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you want low cost per mile I suggest you drive it like the cars mentioned in the thread "How many miles can you do on a C5" in the Tech section. Many cars with well over 150,000 miles.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:48 PM
travbjork
Racer

Well, full disclosure, I'm not worried about it dying. A friend of mine was complaining that I never pick him up and wanted to come in with a snarky, yet educated, cost per mile to go pick him up xP

Depreciation was the only factor I couldn't quantify. Obviously gas, average maintenance, insurance etc. are easy to divide.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:48 PM
Ericka
Instructor

Originally Posted by travbjork
Haha, not so much worried about appreciation, just trying to keep a fine balance between miles, maintenance, and value.

This is just meant to be a fun exorcise in case someone has done the math before
and they are well taken care of
Old 04-27-2015, 09:53 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I think your car depreciates more for years than it does for miles, but that's jmho. I'd also say that it depends on two other major factors. What you paid for it (or overpaid for it) and how well you maintained it. Mine is WAY nicer now than it was when I bought it, but it has about 16K miles more than it did then. Do I need to include what I spent on the car for the depreciation? If so, I'd say it has lost anywhere from about $0.20 to $0.30/mile.

But those numbers are about to get a lot worse since I just bought a new engine, headers and will be getting a new transmission for it. And no, none of those parts need replaced.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:59 PM
travbjork
Racer

Originally Posted by K-Spaz
I think your car depreciates more for years than it does for miles, but that's jmho. I'd also say that it depends on two other major factors. What you paid for it (or overpaid for it) and how well you maintained it. Mine is WAY nicer now than it was when I bought it, but it has about 16K miles more than it did then. Do I need to include what I spent on the car for the depreciation? If so, I'd say it has lost anywhere from about $0.20 to $0.30/mile.

But those numbers are about to get a lot worse since I just bought a new engine, headers and will be getting a new transmission for it. And no, none of those parts need replaced.
THANK you for the reply. How did you come up with that number? What does everyone else think?

Obviously, it's not a linear depreciation forever, but assuming I drive 30 miles a day, 5 days a week, I'm looking to drop about $2000 in value the first year at approximately 7800 miles total added.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:01 PM
momo20
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

while i can see the OP direction that he is going, i think that its pointless to consider these on today's sport's car's..reason why i say this is they made a lot of C5's, so drive and enjoy the car unless you est. everything in your life, which to me would add a lot of unwanted stress and there are far more things to worry about then how much my C5 corvette is depreciating per a mile or how much its cost's for me to look at in my garage
Old 04-27-2015, 10:03 PM
travbjork
Racer

Originally Posted by momo20
while i can see the OP direction that he is going, i think that its pointless to consider these on today's sport's car's..reason why i say this is they made a lot of C5's, so drive and enjoy the car unless you est. everything in your life, which to me would add a lot of unwanted stress and there are far more things to worry about then how much my C5 corvette is depreciating per a mile or how much its cost's for me to look at in my garage
Completely agree! I'd love to drive my C5 to the C5 Graveyard someday!

I just thought it would be a fun topic to talk about aside from the usual Column Lock and Transmission Clatter threads that pop up all the time
Old 04-27-2015, 10:12 PM
Kenny G
Advanced

Cost per mile? Doesn't compare to the smiles per mile.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:46 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Originally Posted by travbjork
How did you come up with that number? What does everyone else think?
I took what I figure it could sell for, subtracted what I paid for it, subtracted what I've paid in parts and labor put into it since, took the absolute value of that and divided it into the number of miles I've put on the car.

I think this is a great example of why it really pays to buy a nicer car up front. I have a lot of money in mine for fixing things to bring it back to like new condition which are not adding nearly enough value to it to justify their cost. True of any repair or mod, you simply take a hit on that. Collectively though, I'm pretty sure they've helped keep the depreciation to a minimum. Most of what I've done is to fix things, not mod things. And all in all, I'm quite happy with my car, considering what I've spent and what I've gotten from it in enjoyment.

And even if I buy another car, (already have 3), I do not foresee selling this one. By the time I would sell it, it probably won't bring enough to justify getting rid of it.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:29 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Had my C5 as a DD for 15 years - 64,000 miles - cost per mile (including gas, insurance, maintenance, upkeep, etc.) - about $1.40/mile, but it looks and runs like new.

Even though it is my DD, I have spent more time maintaining it than driving it by far - gotta love "black"!
Old 04-28-2015, 09:21 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Since the ops question was about depreciation cost, I didn't include operating costs, and deducted what I think it would sell for off the deal. He's looking for loss, not cost/mile to drive. Still, an interesting take on it by Choreo. I suppose if I thought about those numbers and didn't deduct the sell price estimate, I'd probably be near his number even though mine was 14 years old when I bought it.

I can't tell ya how many times I've kicked myself in the azz for not buying a 2013 when I had the chance. 72mo 0% and $42k out the door... What idiot is too cheap to just go do it???
Old 04-28-2015, 09:38 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

If, I lose $1.00 @ mile... WTH! In two years I'll have to pay someone $10k to take the car...what was I thinking!!!
Old 04-28-2015, 10:42 AM
2FAS4UU
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

Put gas in it and drive it while thinking, " My car is worth a million bucks" !!

Get notified of new replies

To Depreciation... Your Cost Per Mile!?

Old 04-28-2015, 11:26 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 73Corvette

If, I lose $1.00 @ mile... WTH! In two years I'll have to pay someone $10k to take the car...what was I thinking!!!
I would be very surprised if your cost was less than that, and if you could show proof that that is true. I guarantee you mine is over $1/mile. Now, if you own the car a long time, you amortize the initial cost out farther, but add maintenance to the total and it's got to be at least a dollar.

Originally Posted by 2FAS4UU
Put gas in it and drive it while thinking, " My car is worth a million bucks" !!
That would be setting up for some bigtime disappointment at resale time.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:30 AM
Trios
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

That's cost per mile, though, not depreciation per mile. Cost per mile includes things like gas and repairs, depreciation is just the price you can sell it at.

Saying the depreciation goes down by a buck per mile would indicate that I would need to pay someone more than $50k to take my car.

Now, I would also have to disagree on that cost per mile, because my car has 130k miles, which I've put 70k of those on, and I have absolutely not spent a year's salary on the car in that time period. No way, no how.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:47 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

I agree about the discussion changing to cost vs depreciation, and I pointed that out above already. But, I went along with the new topic since nobody seems to want to take a stab at the Ops original question. No biggie.

Yes, if you put on tons of miles your cost per mile will go down, but your overall cost goes up. Your depreciation also goes up. At 70K, no, you probably don't have $1/mile in it, but probably are not all that far off. 70K, I'd say the car went through 3 sets of tires, 215 tanks of gas, maybe 14 oil changes, who knows how many years of insurance, you might be surprised at how close you'll come to that $1 figure. Surely there had to be maintenance money and some mad-money thrown at it as well?

I know this, it ain't hard for mine to go through $1000 bucks...

Quick Reply: Depreciation... Your Cost Per Mile!?