Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash cams

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 09:43 PM
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Dash cams

Browsing the forum it seems like more and more people are getting into accidents due to careless drivers and its been something I've wanted to do so I am curious to see who runs a dash cam setup & If so what setup do you run and approx. cost ? Been thinking about picking up a used go-pro for a dash cam, any feedback is welcome.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:59 PM
GTJim
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

http://www.blackvue.com/en/main/main.asp

I have a Blackvue DR550 for my truck and I love it. The video is crisp and clear, even at night. Go on to YouTube and search Blackvue for examples of the video quality. They make systems for all price ranges.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:12 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,309 Likes on 13,980 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Old 04-28-2015, 01:39 AM
brplatz
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Check out Street Guardian models too.

https://forum.dashcamtalk.com/
Old 04-28-2015, 03:53 AM
Mickeyrx70
Melting Slicks

Received 680 Likes on 570 Posts

Old 04-28-2015, 07:00 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

I don't like the Go Pro since you have to open up the case to charge it and to download video, unless they have a new model out. It is good if you are in a wet environment since it is in a case. There are really good small HD cameras out there for the same or less money that are more versatile.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:08 AM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Old 04-28-2015, 07:44 AM
Ludeaem
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I think if I had a dash cam I'd be more likely to incriminate myself.

I do feel in time we might all have dash cams in our cars or at least they will be mandated after a certain model year (much like seat belts, third brake light, back up cameras)
Old 04-28-2015, 08:09 AM
vinceg
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I also have a Blackvue in my Corvette. It is hard wired into my fuse panel. the Blackvue has build in WI-FI an a micro card. I can view on my I phone real time.

HD 550 is the model I have

Last edited by vinceg; 04-28-2015 at 08:11 AM.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:50 AM
donald4972
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I have one called a 'mini 0805'. Can't think of brand name off hand. It was well rated on Amazon. It is very small, and is not easily seen, when mounted.
I had a different one first, but it was too large, and too obvious when mounted. Worked good, but too easy to see from the outside. Sent it back.
Got the mini 0805 (I saw yesterday, they now have a newer version 0806 out). The 0805 sits behind the mirror on passenger side, and I can't even see it from drivers seat. It's hard wired, on and off with the car.
Easy to access mini sd card, and seems to take very good video.

Just search 'mini 0805 dash camera' for you tube videos about this one.

(
Amazon.com : Dashboard Camera, SplashETech Car dvr Mini 0805 Dash Cam *World's Smallest Dashcam W/ Screen* Ambarella A7LA50 Chip Full HD 1296P(Upgraded Mini 0803) Car Video Recorder, Dvr Car Camera with GPS Logger : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Dashboard Camera, SplashETech Car dvr Mini 0805 Dash Cam *World's Smallest Dashcam W/ Screen* Ambarella A7LA50 Chip Full HD 1296P(Upgraded Mini 0803) Car Video Recorder, Dvr Car Camera with GPS Logger : Car Electronics
)
Don

Last edited by donald4972; 04-28-2015 at 04:39 PM. Reason: added link for search dash cam
Old 04-28-2015, 12:15 PM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,867 Likes on 1,672 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Winner

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...lies/lurk5.gif

I'm popping this one too...
Old 04-28-2015, 02:14 PM
tommypenguin
Drifting

Received 377 Likes on 187 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I need to finally bite the bullet and get a dashcam and ideally one that can clear show a license plate on it. Any of these listed above fit the bill?
Old 04-28-2015, 05:11 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,216 Likes on 776 Posts

The dash cam was the FIRST add on in my Vette purchased in 2014. Having been driven off the road by drivers more intested in talking on their cell phones in my other cars, I have one in each of the 3 cars we drive. The second day I owned the Vette, some idiot turned right in front of me and it was a miracle that I did not hit him. The next day I ordered the dash cam. I have a Black Box G!W that is hard wired into the fuse box. Has voice recording and 140 degree recording. The dash cam will confirm stupid driving by others.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:35 PM
Borntorun04/17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 622 Posts

Just found another thing I need for corvette!
Old 07-15-2015, 04:10 PM
whippit
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rrwirsi
The dash cam was the FIRST add on in my Vette purchased in 2014. Having been driven off the road by drivers more intested in talking on their cell phones in my other cars, I have one in each of the 3 cars we drive. The second day I owned the Vette, some idiot turned right in front of me and it was a miracle that I did not hit him. The next day I ordered the dash cam. I have a Black Box G!W that is hard wired into the fuse box. Has voice recording and 140 degree recording. The dash cam will confirm stupid driving by others.
I'm interested in your comment that you hard-wired your camera to the fuse box. Is it set so it shuts down when the key is pulled and one of the doors opens? I'm trying to do this with my G1W using the supplied cigarette lighter plug, but the C5 has both lighter sockets powered full-time and it's a pain to remember to disconnect the plug each time I leave the car. I was able to solve a similar problem with full-time cig ltr sockets on my truck by installing an external fuse adaptor between the lighter fuse and the accessory fuse in the box. When I try the same thing on my C5, the best I can get is the lighter socket powering off when the ignition key is turned off. I'd prefer it remain powered during the retained accessory power cycle. How did you do yours?
Old 07-15-2015, 06:06 PM
Mastertvtech
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I have been running an Amazon $59 HD cam for 2 years and am dealing with the non switched 12v ports. I am going to wire directly to a switched 12v source in the pass floor..I have yet to leave it on accidentally overnight, but would feel a lot better about it shutting down automatically.
Old 07-15-2015, 10:06 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,216 Likes on 776 Posts

Here is how I did the hot wire connection in my 04. I opened my fuse panel in the passenger side of the car. I inserted a piggy back fuse holder (absent fuse) that I bought at Auto Zone into Fuse number 11 (thanks to FM Mr. Sam for showing me what fuse to tap in the panel) that is open and not used. See Owner’s Manual for fuse 11 location. Fuse 11 in my 04 is a circuit that is off when the ignition is off. Then I bought a twin power outlet at Amazon and installed it under the passenger dash. I connected the hot wire from the piggy back fuse to the hot wire from the power outlet. I grounded the negative wire (black) from the power outlet to the screw that is at the bottom and outside of the fuse panel. I routed the dash cam wire that has the power male connector at the end along the top of the windshield’s plastic molding down the passenger side framing under the dash and inserted into the mounted power outlet. Finally, I inserted a 20 amp fuse in the piggy back fuse holder and tested. Dash cam worked fine and only when ignition is on. I hope this helps.

Ron
The following users liked this post:
NotLawReview (01-07-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Dash cams

Old 07-16-2015, 07:13 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by rrwirsi
Here is how I did the hot wire connection in my 04. I opened my fuse panel in the passenger side of the car. I inserted a piggy back fuse holder (absent fuse) that I bought at Auto Zone into Fuse number 11 (thanks to FM Mr. Sam for showing me what fuse to tap in the panel) that is open and not used. See Owner’s Manual for fuse 11 location. Fuse 11 in my 04 is a circuit that is off when the ignition is off. Then I bought a twin power outlet at Amazon and installed it under the passenger dash. I connected the hot wire from the piggy back fuse to the hot wire from the power outlet. I grounded the negative wire (black) from the power outlet to the screw that is at the bottom and outside of the fuse panel. I routed the dash cam wire that has the power male connector at the end along the top of the windshield’s plastic molding down the passenger side framing under the dash and inserted into the mounted power outlet. Finally, I inserted a 20 amp fuse in the piggy back fuse holder and tested. Dash cam worked fine and only when ignition is on. I hope this helps.

Ron
Fuse 11 is good for "ACC and ON" power since it is not shared with anything. Just limited to 20 amps, which is a lot.

In the passenger foot well there should be 3 auxiliary power wires for 97-03 cars. 04's just have the fuses. For 97-03 cars you can use fuse adapters in lieu of the accessory wires, your choice.

Orange wire taped off. Always powered from Fuse #7 (20 Amp). This Fuse is shared with the cigarette lighter.

Orange wire to a connector. Always powered from Fuse #1 (20 Amp). Fuse is shared with the accessory power port in the center console.

Yellow wire taped off. Powered from ignition switch when in "ACC or On". Powered from Fuse #11 (20 Amp). Not shared with anything.

Here is a link with more info and pictures:

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...ad.php?t=14632

Mr. Sam
The following users liked this post:
NotLawReview (01-07-2016)
Old 07-17-2015, 01:01 AM
Frank R. Sutton
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
Browsing the forum it seems like more and more people are getting into accidents due to careless drivers and its been something I've wanted to do so I am curious to see who runs a dash cam setup & If so what setup do you run and approx. cost ? Been thinking about picking up a used go-pro for a dash cam, any feedback is welcome.
I have a Garmin Dash Cam 20 for my C5, and I'd never drive without it. Simple to connect, just like the Garmin GPS systems. The Dash Cam can easily be removed and the video/photos downloaded to your computer. The Dash Cam may also be removed and used as a video camera or a still-picture camera if desired. I bought it at Best Buy for about $200, best money I ever spent on my Corvette! Too many bad drivers out there, better to have your own surveillance system onboard to show the evidence to Police and Insurance Agents!
Old 07-17-2015, 09:39 AM
brplatz
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For everyone considering hardwiring, I used this kit.
Amazon.com : MotoPark Multi Safer Low Voltage CUT OFF Hard Wire Power Supply BDP KIT (Battery Discharge Prevention Mutli Safer Moto Park) : Camera & Photo Amazon.com : MotoPark Multi Safer Low Voltage CUT OFF Hard Wire Power Supply BDP KIT (Battery Discharge Prevention Mutli Safer Moto Park) : Camera & Photo

Set a battery cutoff voltage and you are done. So that cameras with G sensors and motion sensing can run while your car is parked.

I went with this camera, based on the remote camera part(smaller footprint in the window)

Amazon.com : Street Guardian SGZC12RC Remote Camera by wire DashCam with Updated 2015 Sony Exmor IMX322 CMOS Sensor 1080P WDR Night Performance High Heat Supercapacitor : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Street Guardian SGZC12RC Remote Camera by wire DashCam with Updated 2015 Sony Exmor IMX322 CMOS Sensor 1080P WDR Night Performance High Heat Supercapacitor : Car Electronics

The control unit goes in the glove compartment

Quick Reply: Dash cams