Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing rear bushings and rear upper balljoint???

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 08:45 AM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

Default Replacing rear bushings and rear upper balljoint???

Hi guys,

I put on new tires and during the inspection the mechanic told me that my rear upper bushings on the control arms were worn, and also my rear upper ball joints. He priced everything out with dealer items and with labor will cost $1800

I may attempt the fix myself but have a few questions...

- Should I change the upper control arms or just change the bushing and go after market polyurethane?

- The dealer has the rear upper ball joint and knuckle/spindle as one piece, although I have found after market companies that offer the ball joint only...is it possible to press out the old one?
Old 05-06-2015, 10:35 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

If it were me, I would just replace the bushings. The polyurethane should not be too hard to make the ride much harder. The handling should be improved.

Never seen a ball joint that could not be pressed out or removed (older Mopars were not pressed in). Not at home to look in my FSM.

Here is a link to review. Hopefully, if properly done you will not damage the aluminum.

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...d.php?t=190050

If you need me to send you all the info from the FSM in PDF form I can do it. Just PM me your year and email.

You could end up doing it yourself for little money.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:51 AM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by dadaroo
If it were me, I would just replace the bushings. The polyurethane should not be too hard to make the ride much harder. The handling should be improved.

Never seen a ball joint that could not be pressed out or removed (older Mopars were not pressed in). Not at home to look in my FSM.

Here is a link to review. Hopefully, if properly done you will not damage the aluminum.

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...d.php?t=190050

If you need me to send you all the info from the FSM in PDF form I can do it. Just PM me your year and email.

You could end up doing it yourself for little money.
I should be good, but if I get stuck I'll hit you up!
Old 05-08-2015, 01:43 PM
Cliff8928
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

I had to replace my lower a while back, it was easier than one that was pressed into steel. My uppers are new (LG drop spindles) so i haven't had to deal with them.
Old 05-08-2015, 06:30 PM
Socko
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

if you go online the knuckles are about 150 each. c6 zr1 parts fit and are beefier but do have slightly different toe arms so will need a slight alignment adjustment.

I was sure i had a rear upper balljoint issue buts its fairly uncommon they fail as they are shielded from the heat of the rotor relative to the tie rod and lower balljoint. I replaced the tierod and it fixed my issue, so it may be worth investigating yourself.
Old 05-09-2015, 03:02 AM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

I replaced all of my ball joints and bushings. Yes, ball joints can be pressed out and back in but you have to be very careful to make sure they go in perfectly square. What I did was put the ball joints in the freezer overnight to help shrink the metal a wee bit.and the day of the job I heated the ball joint socket with a paint remover gun to help expand the aluminum and when it was hot I pressed in the ball joint. Worked like a charm. Again, I cannot stress how important it is to make sure you press them in square. If you see aluminum shaving emerging as you press the ball joint in then it's not going in properly. No FSM will tell you this, Matter of fact the FSM says to replace the entire knuckle.

Last edited by SG Lou; 05-09-2015 at 03:08 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing rear bushings and rear upper balljoint???

Quick Reply: Replacing rear bushings and rear upper balljoint???