Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can bus tool

Old 05-12-2015, 01:54 PM
Corvette punk
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can bus tool

Any suggestions on a good CAN BUS tool ?
Old 05-12-2015, 04:42 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

What do you want it to do, and to what?
Old 05-12-2015, 11:29 PM
Corvette punk
Heel & Toe

Default Can bus

Can bus is how the modules communicate with each other , I want a interface to see data transmitting between modules , I think , data would be signals ,power signals , youtube videos can explain better ,
Old 05-13-2015, 02:32 AM
Cliff8928
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Technically, CAN is partially used on the C6. The C7 solely uses CAN.

Our C5s use J1850 VPW (aka Class 2) which is serial data.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:37 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

If you want a good knock off GM Tech 2 I got one from CareUcar. It was model SP23-C, their best one. Works perfectly. The original Tech 2's were made in China and these are an absolute duplication. I paid about $480 for mine with all the cables, case, and TIS 2000 software (and associated Key).

They ship and it gets delivered in about 4 days from when you order. I know lots of members who have one from them.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:53 AM
Corvette punk
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Cliff8928
Technically, CAN is partially used on the C6. The C7 solely uses CAN.

Our C5s use J1850 VPW (aka Class 2) which is serial data.
. Thanks Cliff
Old 05-14-2015, 07:55 AM
Corvette punk
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by dadaroo

If you want a good knock off GM Tech 2 I got one from CareUcar. It was model SP23-C, their best one. Works perfectly. The original Tech 2's were made in China and these are an absolute duplication. I paid about $480 for mine with all the cables, case, and TIS 2000 software (and associated Key).

They ship and it gets delivered in about 4 days from when you order. I know lots of members who have one from them.
thanks Dadaroo
Old 05-14-2015, 08:15 AM
bluevette2001
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

autoenginuity is what I use, has 2 way communication with vehicle and I can use it on all my cars and truck.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:27 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by bluevette2001
autoenginuity is what I use, has 2 way communication with vehicle and I can use it on all my cars and truck.
That appears to be a typical scan tool designed to only address emissions codes and select other codes. Can it read the other 11 modules and not just the PCM? Can it perform diagnostics on the HVAC system? Perform an automated ABS bleed of the brake system?
Old 05-14-2015, 09:32 AM
bluevette2001
Advanced

That appears to be a typical scan tool designed to only address emissions codes and select other codes. Can it read the other 11 modules and not just the PCM? Can it perform diagnostics on the HVAC system? Perform an automated ABS bleed of the brake system?
Yes on all modules not 100% sure on the bleed, have to check mine. It also allows you to command sensors on/off or % open.

Looks like it does bleed too:
https://www.autoenginuity.com/produc...mily-ei02.html
Old 05-14-2015, 10:28 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Thanks, that seems to be a very comprehensive tool. I think they could you an improvement on their initial webpage to better explain what it can do.

Can it provide internal control circuit voltages like the Tech 2 to verify diagnostic parameters?

Just curious if you know if you can modify RPO settings with it. That would be impressive.

Last question. Can it reprogram the PCM settings like fuel trim, etc.?

Sam

Went again their site. Damn impressive in my opinion. I like the fact that with another disk you can use it on many different makes of cars.

Last edited by dadaroo; 05-14-2015 at 10:37 AM.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:48 AM
bluevette2001
Advanced

Thanks, that seems to be a very comprehensive tool. I think they could you an improvement on their initial webpage to better explain what it can do.

Can it provide internal control circuit voltages like the Tech 2 to verify diagnostic parameters?

Just curious if you know if you can modify RPO settings with it. That would be impressive.

Last question. Can it reprogram the PCM settings like fuel trim, etc.?

Sam

Went again their site. Damn impressive in my opinion. I like the fact that with another disk you can use it on many different makes of cars.

You don't need another disk, all manufacturers they cover are already in there, you get an ACTIVATION code for whatever you buy. I have the GM and Ford module, need to get the Chrysler one for my Challenger.

I also use an Actron handheld for quick checks like I/M monitor status if I'm in a hurry and don't want to drag the laptop out. It also is capable of some tests (like EVAP) and can record data to capture issues.

They are both great tools but I think only the Tech II can do rpo codes.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:50 AM
Corvette punk
Heel & Toe

Dadaroo I went to careucar, and bought the jc23-c , just what I was hoping for , I like that it is self contained , my lap top comes unreliable for the pc based tools , ideally I wanted a tech 2 but thought the price was out of the ball park saw some on Auction sites . Thanks again DaDaRoo for the Insite and taking the time to Respond , as well as All you other fellas with the helpfull comments
Old 05-14-2015, 11:14 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Corvette punk
Dadaroo I went to careucar, and bought the jc23-c , just what I was hoping for , I like that it is self contained , my lap top comes unreliable for the pc based tools , ideally I wanted a tech 2 but thought the price was out of the ball park saw some on Auction sites . Thanks again DaDaRoo for the Insite and taking the time to Respond , as well as All you other fellas with the helpfull comments
If you need any help in learning how to use it let me know and we can discuss on the phone. You will need to set it up in the house first and use the provided power connection for that. You will need to put in some of the adapter cables just used for initial setup also. I will provide you instructions on this you can review while it is being shipped. Just PM me with your email.

One thing to remember is to plug it into the car first and turn it on before you turn the ignition key to ON. Allows for a proper sync with the car.

I have several links that will help also. I can provide them via email also, not at home now. Don't let me forget.

You will be impressed by the professional quality of the unit and cables. Nothing cheap and flimsy at all.

When you go to put the card into the device do this: Have the unit screen facing you. The card has one side with a grooved "U" slot in it that will be inserted with that slot to your right. The other side will not have such a slot. Don't want you to try and force it in backwards. Any questions on that please let me know.

Mr. Sam
Old 05-15-2015, 07:25 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

I will post the info here in case someone else can make use of it. Don't forget to contact me directly if you need to discuss anything.

Tech 2 Users Guide. A little better than what you will get in the CDs.

https://www.dropbox.com/chooser

Great Path Guide to help you better understand how to get where you want to go:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...101-paths.html

Example of how to reset RPOs:

http://blog.obd365.com/2015/01/28/ho...with-gm-tech2/
Old 05-15-2015, 08:13 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

There is some issue going on with Dropbox. PM me with your email and I will send you the PDF.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:27 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

This link to the Users Guide "should" work.

https://www.dropbox.com/home/Tech%202

Get notified of new replies

To Can bus tool

Old 05-15-2015, 09:43 PM
Corvette punk
Heel & Toe

Default THanks again Sam

This link to the Users Guide "should" work.

https://www.dropbox.com/home/Tech%202
you are the Man , watching YouTube videos to get a overview
Old 05-15-2015, 10:14 PM
37pat
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My thanks to Dadaroo also. His satisfaction spurred me to buy the same unit. I've done a diagnostic on the wife's C5 Vert, and enabled TPMS on my 03Z. This Tech2 is cool, and I know with 2 C5s in the household, I'll get lots of use from it over the coming years.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:58 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

I plan to pass the Tech 2 on to whoever gets my car along with all the spare modules so it can have a long life into the future.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can bus tool