Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Review - McLeod RST Street Twin Clutch.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 12:09 PM
Pchild
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Review - McLeod RST Street Twin Clutch.

I'll start off by saying: I'm not affiliated with McLeod or any forum vendor in anyway, I paid full price for the clutch and am writing this review to help future C5 owners make informed purchasing decisions.

I purchased my C5 Z06 bone stock, and over the last 5 years have been slowly modding it one part at a time to get it where I envisioned it when it was purchased. In October of '13 I installed a MS3 Cam, Long Tubes, Fast 78, along with other supporting mods. I put down 437 at the wheels.

Dyno Pull Video:

I've been on the stock clutch since, and my gut was telling me I better replace it soon. After 1 pull the clutch engagement point would drastically change, after 2 pulls the clutch would stick to the floor.

I read a lot of reviews, and found both good and bad things about a lot of clutches. I ultimately decided to go with the McLeod RST Street Twin Clutch.

I've driven a friends C5 who decided to go with the RPS clutch. The RPS required significantly more pedal effort compared to the stock clutch, as well as it chatters from time to time. I could live with the RPS clutch if there were no other alternatives, but it wasn't something I was ecstatic about sticking in my car...

Reviews of the RST claim Lighter than stock pedal feel... I was very skeptical. 800 RWHP, I'm no where close to it, with the other positive reviews I purchased the Clutch and all supporting parts (slave, pilot, flywheel bolts, remote bleeder, ect...)

After 500 miles of breakin I have to admit the clutch is amazing. I can't say it's "lighter than stock" feel, but it's realllllly damn close. If I got in this car and didn't know it had a RST in it, I might think it's stock. As most high HP clutches, slipping the clutch isn't quite as smooth as my stock clutch, but it's nothing to complain about.

I've done 3 pulls back to back 1-4th shifting at 6600 and the clutch handled it perfectly. No engagement point change, no sticking, no chattering, it was as if I never even beat it up.

The RST shattered my expectations. I was expecting to get something similar to my buddy's RPS (stiff pedal, chatter) and what I got was something that felt like stock but can hold 800 RWHP.

Another friend of mine put the RST in his 10 second Zephyr and he has the same reaction as I did. Amazing pedal feel, no chatter, grips like no other.

I would recommend this clutch to anyone sub 800 RWHP. It's as close to driving on a stock feeling clutch as you could ask for.

I love it.

Last edited by Pchild; 05-22-2015 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 01:06 PM
skip1980
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Great thanks for the review. I am also in STL. How was your experience with pur performance? Did they do your tune after cam install? If so how were they?
Old 05-22-2015, 01:17 PM
aaronc7
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 235 Posts

Thanks for the review. I made 435whp SAE and my clutch is pretty much the same way...it works, but sticks after several back to back high shifts. I know I am going to have to swap it out at some point here.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:52 PM
ezrider4u2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Im still in the break in stage but let me ask... Have you experienced any chatter or excessive noise? Overall I love the RST Twin as well and agree with everything you said in your review.

Thanks

Last edited by ezrider4u2; 05-22-2015 at 09:58 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:54 PM
c5z06.O
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Default I agree

I myself installed this clutch after the ls7 set up took a crap on me. Wish I knew more about the mcleod before.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:50 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

I am running the Mcleod RXT and will say that it is hands down the best clutch I have EVER had in this or any car of mine... Even w 718 ftlbs of TQ the clutch doesn't skip a beat.... Cant say enough good things about this clutch!
Old 05-23-2015, 08:57 AM
Millenium Z06

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by ezrider4u2
Im still in the break in stage but let me ask... Have you experienced any chatter or excessive noise? Overall I love the RST Twin as well and agree with everything you said in your review.

Thanks
You'll hear some noise for the first 500-700 miles then it quiets down dramatically. Mine (RXT) is dead quiet now.

OP, good choice

Last edited by Millenium Z06; 05-23-2015 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:26 PM
ezrider4u2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Millenium Z06
You'll hear some noise for the first 500-700 miles then it quiets down dramatically. Mine (RXT) is dead quiet now.

OP, good choice

Thank you MilleniumZ06, glad to hear that it quiets down.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:17 AM
95rtturbo
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

I have the Mcleod RST twin disc, mated to the Mcleod aluminum flywheel, and Tick Master cylinder (also replaced the slave cylinder, and purchased the remote bleeder). I agree on all points - great clutch! I believe it's rated at 800 ft/lbs of torque, and that's at the flywheel. If you are making more than 750 WHP or so, you probably should go with the RXT twin disc. Ironically, I had my car dynoed at Pur Performance as well - put down 640 WHP.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:47 PM
Pchild
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by skip1980
Great thanks for the review. I am also in STL. How was your experience with pur performance? Did they do your tune after cam install? If so how were they?
I haven't had Pur Performance do any work on my car. All of the Tuning and Install/Mods were done by My self with the help of friends. I just had it dyno'd there @ dyno day.

I will say that they were very polite, and I spoke with a few mechanics, they seem very educated.

Chad Barton installed my clutch. He was doing 5 C5 clutch installs at his shop that same week alone... I highly recommend his shop. PM me if you want contact info.

Originally Posted by aaronc7
Thanks for the review. I made 435whp SAE and my clutch is pretty much the same way...it works, but sticks after several back to back high shifts. I know I am going to have to swap it out at some point here.
My old clutch was shot, I'm lucky it didn't go out on me, or start slipping. It was almost completely gone. Don't push your luck too far!

Originally Posted by ezrider4u2

Thanks
Not once have I heard chatter or any noise. It sounds just like the stock clutch as far as noise. I have about 1k on it, the sound is the same now as it was with 10 miles. Silent.

Originally Posted by 95rtturbo
I have the Mcleod RST twin disc, mated to the Mcleod aluminum flywheel, and Tick Master cylinder (also replaced the slave cylinder, and purchased the remote bleeder). I agree on all points - great clutch! I believe it's rated at 800 ft/lbs of torque, and that's at the flywheel. If you are making more than 750 WHP or so, you probably should go with the RXT twin disc. Ironically, I had my car dynoed at Pur Performance as well - put down 640 WHP.
I've read it's RWHP and Flywheel, so I would lean on the safe side and go with flywheel too. Their website says 800 HP, not WHP, or RWHP.

I kept my stock flywheel (resurfaced). With the big cam I was afraid I'd have idle problems, and its idling like a champ right now.

Last edited by Pchild; 05-26-2015 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:30 PM
MRc5z
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Any updates on how this RST is holding up after 2 years??
Old 05-08-2017, 06:04 PM
skydiven4fun
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

I love my Mcleod as well, going on 4 years with right at 650 to the wheels and not a single issue.

Last edited by skydiven4fun; 05-08-2017 at 06:05 PM.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:57 PM
Nyt_Muves
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Glad to hear all the positive reviews as I have this clutch going in this week along with a new rear end with 4.10s.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:33 AM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,284 Likes on 1,938 Posts

Loving mine. And I can also vouch that it quiets down within 1k miles - though I didn't actively track the odometer.

Secondary reference - my clutch master died, of all places, in line coming out of a field where we have a massive weekly car show sometimes exceeding 1000. That sucked. I snagged the Tick master cylinder. The install was straightforward, just tough due to big hands and tight spaces. It works a charm, and you're able to custom adjust your pedal. Instant on/off now without a mile of travel and still the same light pedal of the RST. Good combo.

Overall... I'm just psyched by the MGW / RST / Fidanza / Tick combination. Driving stick is a dream. I'll try the anti-venom next, though I might have to save up for it, LOL.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:25 AM
Quickshift_C5
Melting Slicks

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Absolutely loved mine for the couple years I had it. But, I upgraded to the RXT after cooking the RST at a 1/2 mile event at 638rwhp. It can take some abuse, but not as much as I had hoped. It rained that day, and they let us make passes back and forth passes on the runway to dry it off. It got VERY hot doing that, and left hot spots on the disc and high spots of material. So, once it cooled, it would chatter and cause the car to buck wildly as you started slipping it to get moving. I had to nearly dump the clutch to get going for the rest of the event.

It could have been resurfaced, but I took the opportunity to send it in and have it upgraded while it was down. Just an FYI. It can take some punishment, but be careful with the constant back to back passes. The material can't take the heat from that kind of extended power and abuse.

Last edited by Quickshift_C5; 05-09-2017 at 09:26 AM.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:35 PM
Brice Peters
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I am runnning the RST as well. Putting down just under 700 rwhp and the clutch is awesome! Would recommend it to anybody. I got a little bit of chatter when it was heated up with the stock master cylinder, but since switching to the Tick I haven't noticed any. Could be that the clutch has over 1000 miles on it now.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:23 PM
MRc5z
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks for the replies fellas!

Get notified of new replies

To Review - McLeod RST Street Twin Clutch.

Quick Reply: Review - McLeod RST Street Twin Clutch.