Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear tailight blackout kit feedback?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 08:04 AM
formula1nut
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

I have blackouts and the halo LEDs. Light output is outstanding;better than stock and better than my other cars, day or night.

Last edited by formula1nut; 05-23-2015 at 12:25 PM.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:13 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

In Michigan if you hit someone in the rear it is YOUR fault ALWAYS and you will get the ticket !!!!!!
Old 05-24-2015, 04:29 PM
tiojames
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by REDHOTS
I would avoid tail light covers period. No matter how anyone can justify them, it is just never a good idea. Form follows function. Brighter the better, not darker. And, they really don't look that cool. If the DOT put black covers on all the traffic signals, that would be interesting.
All that is needed to solve the problem is to upgrade the out put of the tail and brake lights. Mine are as bright now thru the dark lens as the original lights were thru the stock lenses.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:56 PM
REDHOTS
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by tiojames
All that is needed to solve the problem is to upgrade the out put of the tail and brake lights. Mine are as bright now thru the dark lens as the original lights were thru the stock lenses.
Putting on dark covers, and then having to upgrade to brighter lights seems to be self-defeating. I would still prefer to not have covers, even with brighter lights. Never quite figured out the whole black out the lights thing. Red looks better, and natural on any car. Glad somebody didn't make green tail lights cool. Yet.
Don't forget, these cars can out-brake 99% of the vehicles in your mirror.

Last edited by REDHOTS; 05-24-2015 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:18 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Putting on dark covers, and then having to upgrade to brighter lights seems to be self-defeating. I would still prefer to not have covers, even with brighter lights. Never quite figured out the whole black out the lights thing. Red looks better, and natural on any car. Glad somebody didn't make green tail lights cool. Yet.
Don't forget, these cars can out-brake 99% of the vehicles in your mirror.
so I should also quit downshifting instead of using the brakes,NOT GOING TO HAPPEN !!!! And as a excellent driver I don't rely on seeing brake lights or tail lites ,but rather a thing called depth perception !!! And as I stated in Michigan you hit someone in the rear it is YOUR FAULT !!!!! They don't care what the car in front did you have to have your car under control !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-25-2015, 08:07 AM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

FYI - I'm fairly sure that the DOT requires that cars have reflectors on the rear as well as taillights. The C5's stock taillights also include those reflectors. Covering up the tails/reflectors could create a safety issue if the car was parked/disabled on the side of the road w/o the tails being illuminated...especially at night or in low light conditions.

Just something to think about.

Last edited by FrankLP; 05-25-2015 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:37 PM
Kahuna1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://store-96134.mybigcommerce.com/ no tape required
Old 05-27-2015, 03:13 PM
SuperTom
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 158 Posts

I've had the black plastic covers and in person they look bulky. Now there is a company that makes more fitted ones for a bit more. I ended up with the tint kit over LED tails. The tint looks more natural but a little bit of a learning curve with a blow dryer to heat the edges
Old 05-27-2015, 05:20 PM
DSTURBD
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by akapounder
so I should also quit downshifting instead of using the brakes,NOT GOING TO HAPPEN !!!! And as a excellent driver I don't rely on seeing brake lights or tail lites ,but rather a thing called depth perception !!! And as I stated in Michigan you hit someone in the rear it is YOUR FAULT !!!!! They don't care what the car in front did you have to have your car under control !!!!!!!!!!!
Call your local Cop Shop and ask them what "percentage of fault" means.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:28 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

How Fault Is Determined in a Rear-End Collision

Rear-end car accidents are an all-too-common occurrence. At one point or another, most drivers have been at least tapped by a person behind them; and in the era of cell phones, text messaging, iPods and “road rage,” many drivers have had the distinct displeasure of dealing with a serious rear-end collision. While there are some exceptions and variations based on differences in state law, as a general proposition, the driver of the rear-ending car is normally at fault for rear-end collisions. This means that the driver of the rear-ending car will likely be liable for the damage caused in the collision.

I rest my case,you may continue but you are beating a dead horse !!!!
Old 05-27-2015, 05:33 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

By the way last summer I was followed for over 10 miles at 5 am by a State Cop, plus I was driving at 77 mph. Didn't know it was a cop till he got off the x-way(all though I suspected) So he didn't have a problem with my tail lights, he had a good reason to pull me over !!!!!!
Old 05-27-2015, 06:55 PM
REDHOTS
Racer

How Fault Is Determined in a Rear-End Collision

Rear-end car accidents are an all-too-common occurrence. At one point or another, most drivers have been at least tapped by a person behind them; and in the era of cell phones, text messaging, iPods and “road rage,” many drivers have had the distinct displeasure of dealing with a serious rear-end collision. While there are some exceptions and variations based on differences in state law, as a general proposition, the driver of the rear-ending car is normally at fault for rear-end collisions. This means that the driver of the rear-ending car will likely be liable for the damage caused in the collision.

I rest my case,you may continue but you are beating a dead horse !!!!
Well, who cares who's fault it is. I guess if you got rear-ended by a semi that couldn't see your lights 5 feet under his line of sight, it wouldn't really matter whose fault it was, or how excellent you can drive. It is not a better idea to make brake lights darker, no matter what!!!! I do have covers on the front turn signals myself though. Me bad.

Last edited by REDHOTS; 05-27-2015 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:01 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Well, who cares who's fault it is. I guess if you got rear-ended by a semi that couldn't see your lights 5 feet under his line of sight, it wouldn't really matter whose fault it was, or how excellent you can drive. It is not a better idea to make lights darker, no matter what!!!!
The law states the lights have to be visible at 500 feet,my drive is 610 feet and I can see them very well. Some day maybe I will take a picture for you !!!!!

The OP wanted to know about mounting them not weather he should ???

The vendors who sell them in this day of lawsuits still sell them ?????>?
Old 05-27-2015, 07:13 PM
REDHOTS
Racer

The law states the lights have to be visible at 500 feet,my drive is 610 feet and I can see them very well. Some day maybe I will take a picture for you !!!!!

The OP wanted to know about mounting them not weather he should ???

The vendors who sell them in this day of lawsuits still sell them ?????>?
Well, it takes a semi 525 feet to stop from 60mph.
And it should be illegal to sell them, and they are not that cool.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:23 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Well, it takes a semi 525 feet to stop from 60mph.
And it should be illegal to sell them, and they are not that cool.
I have made my point as have you, noted !!!! My main point is out of all the rear end crashes I would think the reason would be VERY low because of tail lights ???? Also as I have stated I watch the road way ahead and just by letting off the gas with a manual trans the car slows down rapidly without brakes so the lights are not a factor !!!! If you hit me I will hope I 'm not hurt to bad to contact a lawyer to handle the poor soul that can't tell someone is slowing down ??????
Old 05-27-2015, 07:45 PM
REDHOTS
Racer

I have made my point as have you, noted !!!! My main point is out of all the rear end crashes I would think the reason would be VERY low because of tail lights ???? Also as I have stated I watch the road way ahead and just by letting off the gas with a manual trans the car slows down rapidly without brakes so the lights are not a factor !!!! If you hit me I will hope I 'm not hurt to bad to contact a lawyer to handle the poor soul that can't tell someone is slowing down ??????
It doesn't matter how well you pay attention. It is all about letting anyone behind you what is going on. I have driven a electric Tesla roadster, and the brake lights come on when you let off the accelerater pedal.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:58 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

It doesn't matter how well you pay attention. It is all about letting anyone behind you what is going on. I have driven a electric Tesla roadster, and the brake lights come on when you let off the accelerater pedal.
Good for Tesla, too bad we all can't afford one (not that I would want one anyway) You continually miss the point, if your paying attention you would not rely on brake lights to stop on time ??????

NOW hear this all vette owners stop all mods because they might be dangerous

Get notified of new replies

To Rear tailight blackout kit feedback?

Old 05-27-2015, 08:30 PM
momo20
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I would avoid tail light covers period. No matter how anyone can justify them, it is just never a good idea. Form follows function. Brighter the better, not darker. And, they really don't look that cool. If the DOT put black covers on all the traffic signals, that would be interesting.
i could not agree more...as low as out vettes sit to the ground and one want's to take more visibility away is just asking for trouble
Old 05-27-2015, 08:55 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

WOW , I don't think you guys comprehend what your reading, If you are following me there is a great chance I will slow down without hitting my brakes, it's up to you to comprehend that you also need to slow down !!!!!

Do deer have brake lights, even when someone just turns on his turn signal and moves into your lane do you just run into him? if there is debris in the road do you just run over it ? If you can't comprehend this you are THICK !!!!!!!!!
Old 05-27-2015, 09:22 PM
Cedarberry
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Either way, stick on it Tinted covers are a pep boys special, it's like puttin the colored covers on your calipers, skanky, lol

Quick Reply: Rear tailight blackout kit feedback?