Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear tailight blackout kit feedback?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 06:45 PM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 394 Posts

Default Rear tailight blackout kit feedback?

Any issues with using double sided tape? I was looking at getting some molded acrylic ones, but wanted to get some feedback before I placed an order. Any ones I should avoid or ones that don't sit flush on the tailights?
Old 05-22-2015, 07:03 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Mine are not the molded ones,(held on with tape no screw holes) if I did it over I would not use tape because it makes changing bulbs a job !!!!!
Old 05-22-2015, 07:05 PM
REDHOTS
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I would avoid tail light covers period. No matter how anyone can justify them, it is just never a good idea. Form follows function. Brighter the better, not darker. And, they really don't look that cool. If the DOT put black covers on all the traffic signals, that would be interesting.

Last edited by REDHOTS; 05-22-2015 at 07:10 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:08 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Mine are plenty bright and that's during the day, not to mention with a manual car I not using the brakes much !!!!!!!!!
Old 05-22-2015, 07:09 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by akapounder
Mine are plenty bright and that's during the day, not to mention with a manual car I not using the brakes much !!!!!!!!!
Also with 4 big *** lights plus the center ///// WELL ????
Old 05-22-2015, 07:36 PM
JohnnyDee
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 100 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2019 C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist

I bought the 9pc set from Vetteshop which uses tape. I figure when a bulb goes I'd cross that bridge then. I got the 4 tails and the center brake light done in a light tint, the fronts and reverse lights in the darker tint.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:50 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JohnnyDee
I bought the 9pc set from Vetteshop which uses tape. I figure when a bulb goes I'd cross that bridge then. I got the 4 tails and the center brake light done in a light tint, the fronts and reverse lights in the darker tint.
I feel the same way, I just wanted you to know the options. I have had mine on for almost a year so all is well !!!!!
Old 05-22-2015, 07:59 PM
DSTURBD
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by REDHOTS
I would avoid tail light covers period. No matter how anyone can justify them, it is just never a good idea. Form follows function. Brighter the better, not darker. And, they really don't look that cool. If the DOT put black covers on all the traffic signals, that would be interesting.

It's like saying "Please rear-end me and wreck my car!! Oh wait, I have light limiting devices on my rear lights that automatically makes the accident my fault and me liable for the costs of any injuries sustained by anyone involved!! Gee, I wonder if my insurance will just say "Sorry, you had illegal equipment that caused the wreck. You're on your own!!......Oh well, they look really cool!!"

What are people thinking?!?!?!?!?

DSTURBD

Last edited by DSTURBD; 05-22-2015 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Punctuation.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:05 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DSTURBD

It's like saying "Please rear-end me and wreck my car!! Oh wait, I have light limiting devices on my rear lights that automatically makes the accident my fault and me liable for the costs of any injuries sustained by anyone involved!! Gee, I wonder if my insurance will just say "Sorry, you had illegal equipment that caused the wreck. You're on your own!!......Oh well, they look really cool!!"

What are people thinking?!?!?!?!?

DSTURBD
One of the very least worries I have in life !!!! cars with non-working lights, car with so much dirt on them, tons of snow all over the car,and if mine were not modified and the text-ter runs into the back of me !!!!
Old 05-22-2015, 08:09 PM
DSTURBD
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In V Veteran

That is all subjective!!! They may seem plenty bright to you, but what about someone else whose visual acuity may still be completely legal, but not at the level of your untrammeled vision? There are as many variations as there are individuals!!! (By the way, how do you know how bright they are in all lighting conditions when you are behind the wheel and assumably not in a position to see your own brake lights?!?!?!?!?)

DSTURBD
Old 05-22-2015, 08:11 PM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 394 Posts

Thanks for the responses. I could be wrong, but with my car having LED tail lights I wouldn't think brightness would be an issue at night. Can anyone confirm lighting issues with blackouts at night time?
Old 05-22-2015, 08:17 PM
DSTURBD
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In V Veteran

One of the very least worries I have in life !!!! cars with non-working lights, car with so much dirt on them, tons of snow all over the car,and if mine were not modified and the text-ter runs into the back of me !!!!
Newsflash!!!!! Those people with the dirt or snow will be deemed as at fault and responsible. Even if the texter rear-ends you, with smoke covers on your rear lights, the accident is automatically your fault and you are liable. And, how will you feel the rest of your life knowing that you did it if there is loss-of-life?!?!?!? Or are you a sociopath that just doesn't give a s#it about others?!?!?! Curios minds want to know!!!

DSTURBD
Old 05-22-2015, 09:22 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

How is it possible that if rear ended with tinted tail lights I am automatically at fault?? Would love to see that one stand up in court. When driving you do not depend on peoples brake lights or signal lights, you drive expecting the unexpected. No one here signals but I still make my way to work and back. If I depended on brake lights to warn me about a pending stop I would not have any insurance co. insure me!!!
Old 05-22-2015, 09:37 PM
DSTURBD
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by El original
How is it possible that if rear ended with tinted tail lights I am automatically at fault?? Would love to see that one stand up in court. When driving you do not depend on peoples brake lights or signal lights, you drive expecting the unexpected. No one here signals but I still make my way to work and back. If I depended on brake lights to warn me about a pending stop I would not have any insurance co. insure me!!!
Talk to a cop and ask him what it does in an accident situation when they find light limiting accessories on the brake lights! You will find that I am not making this up!!

DSTURBD
Old 05-22-2015, 09:54 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Talk to a cop and ask him what it does in an accident situation when they find light limiting accessories on the brake lights! You will find that I am not making this up!!

DSTURBD
OK you win I'm going right out to the garage and take them off !!!!!
Old 05-22-2015, 09:58 PM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 813 Likes on 431 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

See what the local ordinance states. Most have some kind of verbage along the lines of "visible from 50 feet at night." I know, I have friends who are cops. As long as you meet that requirement, you are legal and thus fine should an accident happen.

Don't know if he is still doing them or not but a member/vendor here was doing tinted gelcoat on the lights a few years ago in smoke and black cherry. Those are what I have and they can't be beat,
Old 05-22-2015, 10:07 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by El original

Get notified of new replies

To Rear tailight blackout kit feedback?

Old 05-22-2015, 10:08 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Newsflash!!!!! Those people with the dirt or snow will be deemed as at fault and responsible. Even if the texter rear-ends you, with smoke covers on your rear lights, the accident is automatically your fault and you are liable. And, how will you feel the rest of your life knowing that you did it if there is loss-of-life?!?!?!? Or are you a sociopath that just doesn't give a s#it about others?!?!?! Curios minds want to know!!!

DSTURBD
So they are still hitting you in the rear ?????
Old 05-23-2015, 01:30 AM
Voodoo13
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I removed mine for a few reasons, poor light output, I followed my son while he was driving the car and realized the lights were really dim in the daytime. I thought they looked cheesy, although the acrylic was about 1/16 thick you could still see the edges and that looked unfinished. I didnt have them on too long but thought that dirt would collect behind them between the light and the cover. I never changed a light bulb while they were on but it seemed it would be a real PITA to do so.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:04 AM
vpshockwave
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by REDHOTS

It's a simple safety issue. You're putting other people in danger. I will agree that on many cars it looks great (especially torch red), but it's simply negligent to blackout tail lights.

Quick Reply: Rear tailight blackout kit feedback?