04 c5 bad fuel pump???

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 12:36 AM
KingXTC5
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 04 c5 bad fuel pump???

Sorry for the long story...

so as I'm driving home, i up shifted to third and was accelerating and the car stuttered and i put it in neutral and rolled up to the red light. it had a little bit of shaking, the rpm was bouncing and i noticed my fuel psi gauge going down. the lights turned green and the car stuttered and jerked as i moved forward and then died as i got to the end of the intersection. i was close to my house so i had my dad pull it with his truck to the house using tie downs. WORST FEELING EVER.

So now the car starts up right away but it wont idle, it stays around 400-600 rpm and bounces and then it will die. the fuel pressure gauges reads between 17- 25 psi. the car will have to be towed.

I've been having issues with my fuel pump i think, i had the fuel pump changed out before because the original fuel pump had a leak from the top of the tank almost 8 months ago. the current fuel pump was used/reman and came with a 1 year warranty My gas gauge also works only when its under half a tank of gas.

When i accelerate at low rpm sometimes, (ex. on the freeway in 6th), it would feel as if there's a pause and then i have power. Now when i would be accelerating fast, the car would have a clicking noise. and would stop and i let of the gas pedal. don't know if that's the fuel pump or injectors.

I also used to some injector clean bg 44k and i felt as if it helped with the acceleration but still would have some stuttering.

has anyone had that happened or have any experience if that is the fuel pump or if its something else.
any help or input would be appreciated
Old 05-29-2015, 07:41 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

If that pressure reading is correct you have to replace the pump. You can use a gauge on the fuel rail to verify but it sure sounds like the pump. The car can not run at that low pressure. With an 04 the tank has to be dropped to replace it.

Getting a rebuilt unit for something that is not easy to access was not the best decision. Recommend you don't do that again.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:58 AM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 446 Likes on 328 Posts

When is the last time you changed your fuel filter? Not sure if it is in tank or not for the 04. If external, would be an easy and quick maintenance item. I mention this because you stated the injector clean seemed to help acceleration.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:15 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Sorry, but I thought about the filter too but it is in the tank in 2004.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:31 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

I'm 66 so you must have other issues Chuck.

Of course I feel older than that.
Old 05-29-2015, 04:04 PM
KingXTC5
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea. the fuel filter is in the tank. I started looking at aftermarket fuel pumps and I found one from speed Inc.

http://www.speedinc.com/shop-by-vehi...-corvette.html

Would anyone recommend this or another replacement fuel pump.

thanks again for your inputs.

Get notified of new replies

To 04 c5 bad fuel pump???

Quick Reply: 04 c5 bad fuel pump???