Need Advice -- column lock / pull key for 10 seconds

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 12:33 PM
nathaliev
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Advice -- column lock / pull key for 10 seconds

Hi guys,

Yesterday my car refused to drive. It starts up fine, but as soon as I start going in reverse or drive it shuts down. The errors on my display are the "service column lock" and "pull key for 10 seconds"

I see there's a ton of info here about the infamous column lock issue. I do remember this from years ago too, and I just called my dealer to double check and they confirmed I *did* have the recall done (in 2005)

I have a 2000 C5 conv. I don't know what build though (some of the posts I found mention "if you have an A4, or MN6/M12), so my first question is where can I find this info? The dealer said Chevy's records only go back a certain amount of years and he's not able to look up my build.

So I called the dealer just now to find out what my options are, since this was fixed under a recall.

Sounds pretty grim - they said that there's no warranty on that recall or column lock, so anything would be out of pocket.

And - they said that in many cases there are no parts available, they don't make this part anymore (the part he mentioned was "sensor column lock release switch"). He checked the computer and can't even find the part which he said indicates it might not be available at all.

I asked what happened if it needs this part and this part isn't available and he basically said it means my car is DEAD :/

I'm hoping for some guidance or advice, I get this feeling this has happened to a lot of C5 owners.

In some of what I read it says possibly the CLB is out of sync, there's some suggestions about resetting the BCM (not sure what that is) by pulling FUSE 23 and waiting 10 seconds.

If the car is A4 there's some info about removing the Harness "K" assembly, or removing recall mods and restoring to original... or if MN6/M12 remove the relay added by the recall mod and bybass the circuit.

Of course all this is over my head and if anything I wouldn't be the one actually performing any of this work except pulling fuses.

Any advice would be really really appreciated.

Thank you
Old 06-02-2015, 12:44 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Do a search, this is probably the most common thread on CF. Order the LMC5 and the unlocker here:
http://www.complianceparts.com/lmc5unlocker.html
Old 06-02-2015, 12:47 PM
stu12dozen
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First off, A4 refers to automatic transmission and M6/M12 manual transmission.

From what I have read, even if your car was serviced for the steering column recall, you can still have problems like what you are describing.

Many of us have installed the LMC5 unlocker. It will be a lot cheaper than anything the dealer recommends. If you have a local Corvette shop, they can do the install. I wouldn't take it to the dealer.

http://www.complianceparts.com/lmc5unlocker.html

Last edited by stu12dozen; 06-02-2015 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:08 PM
nathaliev
Advanced

Thanks guys!

So I need both the UNLOCKER and the "'97-'04 C5 LMC5 Module" right? ($6 + $40 in parts)
Old 06-02-2015, 01:21 PM
Trios
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by nathaliev
Thanks guys!

So I need both the UNLOCKER and the "'97-'04 C5 LMC5 Module" right? ($6 + $40 in parts)
You only need the unlocker if your column is currently locked. If you can turn the steering wheel, then you don't need the unlocker.

I bought the unlocker as a 'just in case' because they're so cheap, but I haven't used it in the 3+ years I've had my LMC5 installed.

EDIT: So, specifically, you should go to this page right here and purchase the ''97-'04 C5 LMC5 Module." If you don't own any wrenches or anything, you can purchase their tool set too, but that's kinda silly in my opinion.

The module comes with installation instructions that are very easy to follow, so unless you feel like you're completely useless at turning a screwdriver, you should be fine to install it yourself.

Last edited by Trios; 06-02-2015 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:41 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

I'm in a similar boat as you. There was a little plastic box zip tied under my dash that I figures was a CLB but last night my column locked and gave me the pull key error. I NEED this car for a trip down to Florida on Thursday so I don't have time to order any parts. Everything is working now, but I would hate to be 12 hours from home and get stuck!
Old 06-02-2015, 01:46 PM
Bill Vett
Safety Car

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

The reason the car shuts down is that when they did the recall they also flashed the computer and loaded a new program to shut fuel off. While waiting for the LMC5 to arrive I would make sure the battery if fully charged and clean the key with some alcohol. Try it and see if it works.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:48 PM
Jason913
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks guys!

Bingo.

Whoever you get to install it, make sure they know about the issue and have used/installed the lmc5 before for peace of mind. It is EASY.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:22 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Get the LMC5... and install it...nothing to remove, no fuses to pull, just install it...UNLESS your Steering Wheel is LOCKED....

Old 06-02-2015, 02:26 PM
nathaliev
Advanced

Thanks for the video link and all the help guys.

So glad there was a solution out there, especially after the dealer basically told me the car is dead and done if the factory part was no longer available.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:35 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

So glad there was a solution out there, especially after the dealer basically told me the car is dead and done if the factory part was no longer available.
That DEALER is full of it... I would NOT take my C5 back to them to put air in the tires!!!
Old 06-02-2015, 02:38 PM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

The LMC5 will fix it permanently, the factory fix did not work very well.
We are a little more expensive than buying direct, there is not much discount and I have inbound freight to put them on the shelf, but I have them on the shelf and could ship it to you today if needed.
Thanks
Justin
Old 06-02-2015, 03:21 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Sometimes timing is everything...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-lock-fix.html
Old 06-02-2015, 04:22 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,216 Likes on 776 Posts

Believe me, if you can read simple instructions and screw a light bulb into a socket, you can do the install. If I can do it, anyone driving a vette can. Just to make sure, I would also do the brown wire install (explained in the directions) that is optional but does nothing if is not needed.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:35 PM
frsr06
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 132 Posts

Seems like there is a run on LMC5's about once a month - must be a full moon. Definitely the right fix for the column lock problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Advice -- column lock / pull key for 10 seconds

Quick Reply: Need Advice -- column lock / pull key for 10 seconds