Sponsored by:

Oil Leak and Coolant Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 11:05 AM
JohnathanM93
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Leak and Coolant Issue

Hoping someone here may have had these issues or know how I might find the cause.

My 98 vette is leaking oil fairly significantly (two 4 inch spots). It will occasionally have a light smoke noticeable when stopped with a burnt smell. Thought it might be Oil Pressure Unit, Rear Main, or Valve Cover Gasket? Any suggestions on determining the culprit?

Also, a couple weeks ago I had coolant draining out the bottom of the car but couldn't find a leak. I put some more in the next day and it did not leak but still would notify me of "low coolant" although it was full. A couple days later it was fine. Three days ago, it started leaking again and I noticed that it sounded like the coolant reservoir was releasing pressure in cycles and in the process oozing some coolant out top around the cap. It then was dripping down to underneath the car. I refilled the coolant, however I'm still getting a "low coolant" notification about every 10 miles. The coolant in the reservoir is a redish brown color.

Any advice on how to proceed is appreciated. I can take pictures if that helps.

Thanks!
Old 06-04-2015, 11:24 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Where are the oil leaks under the car in relation the engine?

What is the coolant color supposed to be? What color coolant are you adding?

Sounds like the reservoir cap may be bad.

Is the car over heating?
Old 06-04-2015, 11:43 AM
JohnathanM93
Heel & Toe

I believe it is in the back of the engine.

I put in Prestone 50/50 which is a lime-green color.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:45 AM
JohnathanM93
Heel & Toe

I don't believe it is overheating. However I'm not 100% sure I know how to tell.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:59 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

I had a couple oil drips. It was ending up on the exhaust and causing a burnt oil smell. The problem was a loose oil filter. Check that first.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:10 PM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 376 Posts

Default oil leak

I have just finished a rebuild on my 2001 coupe that had two oil leaks. The leaks were on each side of the oil pan in the rear. Turned out that the cars first owner had paid to have the leak fixed three different times all to no success. After removing the engine I found the source of the two leaks. The upper oil pan was so uneven at the back of the engine it was only hitting in the center of the engine lock. Had the surface of the pan milled to flat and oil pan gasket has sealed with no more oil dripping onto the cats causing the burning oil smell. Overnight there would be two 4" puddles at the sides of the oil pan in the back. Engine was also had a couple of oil control ring sets messed up. Glad I went into it when I did or the block would not have been able to be honed to straighten up the bores. Had 144,000 miles on it at teardown. Oil consumption appears to be OK now as well as no leaks.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:32 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Maybe this will help..

Originally Posted by JohnathanM93
Hoping someone here may have had these issues or know how I might find the cause.

My 98 vette is leaking oil fairly significantly (two 4 inch spots). It will occasionally have a light smoke noticeable when stopped with a burnt smell. Thought it might be Oil Pressure Unit, Rear Main, or Valve Cover Gasket? Any suggestions on determining the culprit?

I think your on the right track with the OPS... you should be able to take a mirror and good light and see around the OPS and determine if that is where the leak is coming from...
Rear main should be leaking from inside the bell housing...so it will come from the inside not leaking somewhere and running down the outside of the bellhousing..

Also, a couple weeks ago I had coolant draining out the bottom of the car but couldn't find a leak. I put some more in the next day and it did not leak but still would notify me of "low coolant" although it was full. A couple days later it was fine. Three days ago, it started leaking again and I noticed that it sounded like the coolant reservoir was releasing pressure in cycles and in the process oozing some coolant out top around the cap. It then was dripping down to underneath the car. I refilled the coolant, however I'm still getting a "low coolant" notification about every 10 miles. The coolant in the reservoir is a redish brown color.

The reservoir tanks are notorious for cracking and leaking at the connections on the bottom...you might also have a hole or split in a hose... SOUNDS like someone needs to FLUSH their cooling system!

Any advice on how to proceed is appreciated. I can take pictures if that helps.

Thanks!
Look at your gauges for overheating anything over 230 is getting pretty warm... you have a digital read out on the DIC also...

You might want to PULL CODES and post them here also...

Last edited by 73Corvette; 06-04-2015 at 07:36 PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:48 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Mine used oil when I first bought it. Switched to Mobil1 High Mileage and oil consumption stopped. It reconditions the seals. Something to think about.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:28 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

The coolant in the reservoir is a redish brown color.
I put in Prestone 50/50 which is a lime-green color.
I sure hope that Prestone is Dexcool-compatible...if not, this could get ugly.

Moving on...is the car automatic or stick? The A4s use part of the radiator as a transmission cooler, and I'm told there is/was a TSB regarding leaks between the two cores. (Having a bit of trouble at the moment visualizing what color you get when coolant(orange, blue, some mixture of the two?) gets blended with red ATF.)
Old 06-04-2015, 11:22 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Check to make sure that your oil filter is installed correctly. A dealership jacked up installation of my filter and I had the burning oil smell until I replaced it.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:49 AM
Lpe403
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check your dip stick too.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Leak and Coolant Issue

Quick Reply: Oil Leak and Coolant Issue