Sponsored by:

Shifter Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 09:34 AM
FHK
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Shifter Problem

I have a Silver 2003 Convertible Corvette with the 6-speed. Not an Anniversary Edition. Something strange has happened to my shifter. When shifting from 4th into 5th it can now go over to the right far enough to go into reverse! EEEEK! It did not used to be able to do this. Is there a solenoid or something that prevents the shifter from being able to go into reverse when the car is moving forward? This is bad because the natural tendency of the shifter is now to go all the way to the right, which is where reverse is. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Fred
Old 06-29-2015, 09:37 AM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

There's reverse lock out solenoid. Sounds like yours maybe caput.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:55 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

The reverse lock out should prevent you from actually going into reverse. You may want to start with doing an alignment check on the actual shifter for the increased movement you have. Could be the shifter has loosened up internally.

The LO is designed to prevent shifting into reverse when over 3 mph. You might want to read your Owners Manual.

You can test the LO solenoid to make sure it is operating by trying to shift into reverse around 5 mph, or you can test the solenoid by electrically jumpering it to see if is working. The second will only verify the solenoid functions and not the PCM activation circuit.

Not at home to see if a circuit failure would throw a code.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:32 PM
Trios
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by FHK
I have a Silver 2003 Convertible Corvette with the 6-speed. Not an Anniversary Edition. Something strange has happened to my shifter. When shifting from 4th into 5th it can now go over to the right far enough to go into reverse! EEEEK! It did not used to be able to do this. Is there a solenoid or something that prevents the shifter from being able to go into reverse when the car is moving forward? This is bad because the natural tendency of the shifter is now to go all the way to the right, which is where reverse is. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Fred
This happened on my 2003 as well; it's almost certainly the lockout solenoid. Please see my reply to another, very similar thread for some vague instructions and another link to an in-depth how-to.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:13 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

There is a code for the solenoid, P0801. However this only detects if the circuit is energized or not as requested. If the solenoid is mechanically bound it would not throw this code.

Get notified of new replies

To Shifter Problem

Quick Reply: Shifter Problem