Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Month observations as a C5 owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 05:54 PM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

When I first got my C5 (Aug 2000), I think I was stopped for"random" inspection almost every day ... until all the gate guards had had the opportunity to check it out.
Once they had all seen it...haven't been randomly selected since.

Making you stop short, cutting you off, etc I think is part jealousy and part hit me I need money. Figure if you own a vette, you must be rich.

Even more fun in a c7. Lost track of the requests to borrow for the weekend, take it to get washed, ad nauseum. oddly enough, no random inspections (so far)

either way, you'll still turn heads, so I hope you are used to being center of attention
Old 07-25-2015, 08:50 PM
captaineddie
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 74 Posts

I found myself surrounded by Mustangs today at a traffic light. All were revving their engines and giving me the look of "let's see who has the fastest car." I just ignored them and let them scream off. I'm definitely not interested in getting a ticket for drag racing.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:12 AM
Ceedub53
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I've had my 99' C5 Vette (Vert) about 2 months now and have had more people wave, thumbs up and smile at the car. Never really fully understood the mystique of a Vette until I owned and drove one, watching people stare, etc. No experience quite like it.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:00 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

On our trip in Arkansas we had 3 guys want to race at lights... 1 Mustang, 1 Diesel Dodge pickup, an 1 Chevy Something...
Driving the winding roads it seemed like every other vehicle wanted to stay right on our bumper... I guess to see if they could keep up... I'd either pull out when I had a chance to let them go by (make them feel good) or I'd leave them in my dust... depending on my mood. It's amazing how fast some old beater chevy trucks can take mountain curves.....
It's always an adventure driving the Vette... I love it!
Old 07-26-2015, 10:34 AM
imlowr2
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jptgs1
They are low!!!! I can't recall looking down to see anything but the road!
My wife gets a kick out of the fact I can open the door, lean over and put my hand flat on the ground. I call it my beer can smasher! Living in the Los Angeles area of CA, it's difficult to race due to so many cars. Getting cut off? that's an understatement. Most people don't know how to drive in CA (that's evident when it starts to sprinkle, God forbid it snows). There are some very nice fast cars in CA particularly where I live. So far, I haven't been challenged but wouldn't pass up the opportunity. I get more thumbs up with my 56 Ford truck than the Vette. My Corvette is basically stock other than being lowered. I'm sure when I change the exhaust system to something louder, people may want to see what it's got.

Last edited by imlowr2; 07-26-2015 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:53 AM
novasscnc
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts
Default 4 months in

amazed at the fuel mileage and how smooth it is on rough roads, for around 20g I think its the best bang for your buck
Old 07-26-2015, 12:24 PM
Aug Air
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default First Month observations as a C5 owner

Just got my c5 a month or so ago. See a lot of stares. Got a lot of compliments. No races. Wouldn't do it anyway. I've been looking for potholes and raised man hole covers a lot more closely now. Also have been taking different entrances to avoid steep inclines from the road to parking lot/driveways that way I won't scrape the nose. It's weird going back to my daily driver cause I get in and wait for the seat to move forward and it doesn't.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:44 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by ttiros
I had a Chev Cavalier rev is engine next to me to race...i thought really.
Those types are really funny. I have the same reaction from SUVs and Civics.
Just look over and do an exaggerated laugh. That will make them cower or smile.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:46 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JEH03Vette
I had a guy do that to me the very first night after I bought my car. He was in a beat up old Honda Accord, but he did have the surf board wing on the back and the ever present fart can muffler, so I knew my car could no way contend with that street monster.
^^^^
That's funny right there, I do not care who you are!
Old 07-26-2015, 01:48 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by spdislife
I agree. But in nearly 10 years of ownership, the last 5 with limited public road exposure, I rarely encountered real a**holes on the road. These things tend to run in streaks, so perhaps over the next few months you wont run into the same experiences. Enjoy your new ride
You obviously do not live in Atlanta!
Old 07-26-2015, 01:50 PM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mike98SilVert
C5's get great gas mileage. I daily drive mine to work etc and average 21 mpg without any highway driving and my commute is about 58 miles/day. And I drive normal, not for gas mileage.

Strangers asking to drive your Corvette? I never heard that before. I would tell them to go find one for sale on a car dealer lot and ask for a test drive.
I have had quite a few ask me to toss them the keys, but usually in jest. They know the answer before I respond, they are just trying to be humorous and not serious about their request.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:06 PM
ppcgm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fun thread. I've had mine about a month now. It had been awhile since I parted with my last C3 and always missed it. First time I drove the C5 it felt like coming home to a car that actually fits me and responds when I want it to do something. Yes, camaros and such always want to show me how peppy their cars are, in traffic and on the interstate. I just smile at them. They're the ones with something to prove. Also noticed that the local fart cars don't rev their silly little engines as much coming past the house now that it's been in the driveway when it was out of the garage for some reason. Driving with the top down turns my agonizing commute into enjoying a nice day. My only wish is that I'd bought this car sooner.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:03 PM
ken90004
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Aug Air
It's weird going back to my daily driver cause I get in and wait for the seat to move forward and it doesn't.

This is really odd. I drive a '12 Outback with a 2.5i. It is great in the snow and mud, but after driving the Vette for the weekend, I've had to check to make sure I didn't step on the brake, instead of the gas, when pulling away from a stop sign with the Suby. Not to mention I feel like I am sitting in a high chair with in the Outback.

I'd love to drive the Vette every day, but a 180 mile daily commute would rack up too many miles. I bought the Vette because I love the style, but it was strictly meant to be a weekend warrior.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:20 PM
ken90004
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
These cars do draw their share of attention, some good, some bad. Just continue to enjoy the car.

I could do without the attention, but it is a small price to pay.

I noticed I get clocked almost every time by cops. I was following a primus this Saturday, on a two lane, doing 57 in a 55. I made eye contact with a sheriff, that then did a side way glaze down at his radar gun. All I could think is you've gotta be kidding me.

I'd blow past some of these yahoos just to show them what fast is, but I know the first time I do, I'll find some cop hidden in the bushes just waiting for a fool like me.

It is hard having a car with this much power, and not really being able to enjoy it much more than a few seconds of passing. I didn't buy the car for that purpose, but the power is intoxicating.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:31 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Rarley do i get anyone to race but the procharger usually keeps that at bay but I do get alot of wtf is in that thing?...or burn em!!..or people egging me on so they can see the car go which i think is what some of you are confusing with racing when a slower car wants to "go" Haven't had anyone try to pull out in front of me...Older people with their windows down give me a disgusted look and head shake..I just give them them 50mm tial street sweeper salute. For the most part it's been all positive..Just would like to run into some more races in Mexico
Old 07-27-2015, 12:31 PM
Aug Air
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree. Police are magnets to that car. Sucks having to drive the speed limit everywhere even if the traffic is moving faster. Cause if they see you guarantee you will be the one pulled over, not the Prius or the Camry.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:42 PM
ArtGle
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny wangwang
Ive had this car like 7 years now and had like two people try to race me the whole time lol. Maybe its my driving style that makes people not even try. I normally take off from the light slower then everyone else and then shift from 1st to 4th even though I dont have to lol. I value my gas mileage more then a race!
I put "MPG LOL" on my rear window.

Get notified of new replies

To First Month observations as a C5 owner

Old 07-27-2015, 10:48 PM
ArtGle
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

Left the lady's house couple of nights ago, I live less than a mile away, (city life).
Went for a short 20 mile ride, 10 miles out to the I95 beltway around Boston, and u-turned at the clover leaf, headed back home.
Like I said, just for a casual spin for myself.
Coming out of the on-ramp from the clover leaf, I "PUNCH IT"...
Just a QUICK JUMP from 25 to 95 and just as quickly settle back to 65mph.
Two BMWs must have seen me LAUNCH, as they both SHOT BY ME on each side.
HOWEVER
Just as they may have seen me, "Someone" was seeing them.
And just as quickly, two State Troopers blew past me and pulled them over.... LOL
Old 07-27-2015, 11:01 PM
Koufax
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 142 Posts

A job well done getting those Beemers some speeding tickets!
Old 07-27-2015, 11:05 PM
Nyt_Muves
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I love ripping the doors off those **** go carts. It's even more fun doing it in my ST. People expect a Vette to be fast. The ST surprises them. The BMW guys get a bit miffed when you pull away from them and they see the FOCUS badge on the tail. Lol.

Quick Reply: First Month observations as a C5 owner