Sponsored by:

Trunk keeps popping open

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 01:02 PM
edilberovic
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk keeps popping open

So today I washed my car with a pressure washer and everything was fine until I got home. I pulled my 97 into the garage and started cleaning down the rest of the drips left over. Then my trunk popped open. I maybe thought I hit the key fob but the battery has been dead in the fob for 3 weeks now. So I shut the trunk 15 sec later pops open again. It keeps doing this!! Has anyone ever experienced this problem?
Old 07-29-2015, 01:55 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

I have some ideas but you have not told us what body style you have. it makes a difference. My guess is it is not a coupe.

Mr. Sam
Old 07-29-2015, 01:58 PM
edilberovic
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dadaroo
I have some ideas but you have not told us what body style you have. it makes a difference. My guess is it is not a coupe.

Mr. Sam
Its a base 97 c5 with the hatch. It stopped doing it but I would still like to know what cused the problem. I'm guessing water got somewhere and it made it trip.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:02 PM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,216 Likes on 776 Posts

This may not be the reason but I thought I would share. It could be someone in your neighborhood that has a device that is on the same frequency of your trunk’s frequency. Unlikely, but possible. Does the trunk lid come up away from your residence? If not and only does it in your driveway, then it increases the chances someone’s devise is triggering it. I know it can occur. On a business trip when I locked the rental car (chev) by the key fob, it set off someone’s BMW alarm. Over the next few days, I had a great time watching the owner go crazy.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:17 PM
edilberovic
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rrwirsi
This may not be the reason but I thought I would share. It could be someone in your neighborhood that has a device that is on the same frequency of your trunk’s frequency. Unlikely, but possible. Does the trunk lid come up away from your residence? If not and only does it in your driveway, then it increases the chances someone’s devise is triggering it. I know it can occur. On a business trip when I locked the rental car (chev) by the key fob, it set off someone’s BMW alarm. Over the next few days, I had a great time watching the owner go crazy.
After a few hours now I went inside the garage and saw it open again. It cracks open as if I press the button to open it. Has this problem ever happened to anyone haha? Its pretty annoying. I've had the car for 3 weeks and it now just started happening.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:39 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

My 2 guesses:
1-rrwirsi has a remote that works on your hatch and is playing games with you
2-You're not closing it all the way. Next time you close it try opening and shutting the door (with windows closed) and see if it pops open from the pressure. If so, it simply isn't closing fully.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:48 PM
2FAS4UU
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by edilberovic
After a few hours now I went inside the garage and saw it open again. It cracks open as if I press the button to open it. Has this problem ever happened to anyone haha? Its pretty annoying. I've had the car for 3 weeks and it now just started happening.
You are not the lone ranger with this issue. This happens with mine once in a blue moon and it might be due to battery voltage drops. This week end I was standing by my car and it sounded like the door solenoids started clicking on their own, I thought that maybe it was my FOB. Still haven't figured out what the source of the issue is yet. My trunk does the same thing, check your FOB battery as well or try re-training your FOB's. Please post the fix if you find the problem.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:55 PM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

Kim has the identical problem.

No I have never had this issue.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:14 PM
Scn1998
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive had the phantom lock unlock in the past... It was based on a failed remote that was sending signals while it was in a draw in the house. Had to pull the battery out of the remote to prevent it. Did you pull the batteries out of your remote just to be sure?
Old 07-29-2015, 09:14 PM
edilberovic
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2FAS4UU
You are not the lone ranger with this issue. This happens with mine once in a blue moon and it might be due to battery voltage drops. This week end I was standing by my car and it sounded like the door solenoids started clicking on their own, I thought that maybe it was my FOB. Still haven't figured out what the source of the issue is yet. My trunk does the same thing, check your FOB battery as well or try re-training your FOB's. Please post the fix if you find the problem.
Yepp that's the exact same problem I'm having. My voltage is at 12.6. Does yours still do it?
Old 07-29-2015, 09:17 PM
edilberovic
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Scn1998
Ive had the phantom lock unlock in the past... It was based on a failed remote that was sending signals while it was in a draw in the house. Had to pull the battery out of the remote to prevent it. Did you pull the batteries out of your remote just to be sure?
My remote is at home and I'm at work with just the key and it happend at work I just shut it again. Let's hope it stays shut
Old 07-29-2015, 10:27 PM
2FAS4UU
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

Yepp that's the exact same problem I'm having. My voltage is at 12.6. Does yours still do it?
At 7:15, moments ago I went and put a fresh battery(FOB) in and went thru the FOB training sequence and everything seems normal at this time. I will wait a couple of days and re-post, but it seems to have been the Fob battery, who knows and time will tell !!
Old 07-29-2015, 10:43 PM
edilberovic
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2FAS4UU
At 7:15, moments ago I went and put a fresh battery(FOB) in and went thru the FOB training sequence and everything seems normal at this time. I will wait a couple of days and re-post, but it seems to have been the Fob battery, who knows and time will tell !!
Let's hope it works because mine hasn't popped open yet its been 2:30
Hours. So I have a feeling its the key fob. Can you send a link how to reprogram the fob please?
Old 07-29-2015, 11:32 PM
edilberovic
Intermediate

Just popped open again 3-4 hour after staying shut
Old 07-29-2015, 11:59 PM
edilberovic
Intermediate

I think this will help out. I will test it out when i get home
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/3401722-electrical-problems-c5-1997-a.html
Old 07-30-2015, 07:28 AM
thealien
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

could the switch in the vehicle be bad/stuck?
Old 07-30-2015, 08:25 AM
edilberovic
Intermediate

Originally Posted by thealien
could the switch in the vehicle be bad/stuck?
I don't think so I worked night shift last night and it didn't pop open besides once .I got in the car and put the the key in the ignition and when the car is in park the passenger door and truck are unlocking I pulled my ebrake and put the car in drive shut the trunk and took off. Everything was fine getting home. I will see if it pops open at all agim when I wake up. Very weird situation it just started happening after I washed the car. I have a feeling water got someplace where it wasn't suppose to get.

Get notified of new replies

To Trunk keeps popping open

Old 07-30-2015, 09:46 AM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Try removing the wires from the release switch in the dash,
You could do the same at the release point in the trunk, but then I'm not sure how you'd open it when you need to. It does sound like an electrical bug running around.

I guess since it's a coupe, you could crawl back there in the hatch area and attach and reattach the release wires in the trunk area from the inside the car.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:20 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

I don't think so I worked night shift last night and it didn't pop open besides once .I got in the car and put the the key in the ignition and when the car is in park the passenger door and truck are unlocking I pulled my ebrake and put the car in drive shut the trunk and took off. Everything was fine getting home. I will see if it pops open at all agim when I wake up. Very weird situation it just started happening after I washed the car. I have a feeling water got someplace where it wasn't suppose to get.
This whole thing seems like a BCM issue. Pull the access panel in the passenger foot well and see if it is wet or damp.

If the passenger side cowl drain udder is clogged you will dump water in that area.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:27 AM
edilberovic
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dadaroo
This whole thing seems like a BCM issue. Pull the access panel in the passenger foot well and see if it is wet or damp.

If the passenger side cowl drain udder is clogged you will dump water in that area.
I will do that when I get home. I think that's what it is because its such a weird issue. But it did not pop open from 7am-7pm yesterday I drove my daily to work today so when I get home I'll see of the trunk is poped. Hopefully the BCM dried off fine haha. Thanks your for input!

Quick Reply: Trunk keeps popping open