Sponsored by:

header stuff again

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 10:21 PM
wheelman1944
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default header stuff again

Hey guys...I'm kicking around the idea of putting headers on my 02 vert. Only thing other than stock is Airaid intake and Corsa Extreme...I would love to talk to someone who has done this personally to get a few ideas and suggestions as to brand, differences if any in them, having to re tune etc..I'm in w.tenn. my email is wheelman1944@hotmail.com....maybe we could swap phone numbers an skip this tippy type step....I sure appreciate any help...
Old 07-31-2015, 04:06 AM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

Hello,

Yes some of the header brands out there are "questionable" when it comes to fitment. Some fit much better than others but very seldom do you get a perfect fitting headers. We have noticed that even amongst the top brands its hit or miss on if they will fit "perfect" or not.
We personally sell and prefer to install Billy Boat headers. Kooks are decent as well as ARH. With that said you can buy two of the same headers at the same time put them on the same car and they will both fit different. It only takes a slight change of the primary weld at the flange to create issues. Also the larger the primary tube the more likely hood of fitment issues.

http://www.americanheritageperformance.com/
Old 07-31-2015, 07:00 AM
Big Vig
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-headers.html

XSpower, check it out 100+ pages of happy customers
Old 07-31-2015, 11:04 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon Vigue
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-headers.html

XSpower, check it out 100+ pages of happy customers
and OH the sound
Old 07-31-2015, 09:07 PM
williame3590
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Your Corsa Extreme probably doesn't sound as it should without the header's.
While your at it, do an X-pipe and free flow cats as well. You won't believe the difference.
I went with LG longtubes.

Bill
Old 08-01-2015, 07:28 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by williame3590
Your Corsa Extreme probably doesn't sound as it should without the header's.
headers will really open those corsas up!... arh, kooks, and lg would be my personal choices... I have lg superpros and they have done me well for the last 4-5 years, my only complaint is the plug wire routing could be better and I kinda wish they offered an offroad version with no air fittings
Old 08-01-2015, 07:48 AM
KAGEY228
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Another vote for XS Power. Mine went in without a hitch. I also had them ceramic coated. I am well pleased so far.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:03 AM
Rookieracer
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

I've had ARH and high flow cats on my 2002 Vert for a couple of years now. I'm very happy with the fit. Did the install myself. The car is daily driven. The car had a tune before the header install. I didn't tune the car right away after the install and the car drove perfectly fine, just a little richer than before. Tuned it about 3 months later for the headers.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:38 PM
Robby04
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Hey guys,
Can we talk about the air fitting on headers. I am about to pull the trigger. But then I see air fitting or no air fitting. I gather this is an emissions system.
What option are you guys running. Does everybody delete the air system, making headers w no air fitting better?
Old 09-25-2015, 05:53 PM
myredhead1
Melting Slicks

Received 431 Likes on 356 Posts

LG Super pros here. You may want to get heat sleeves for your plug wires. Went through a set within the first week with out mine.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:23 PM
Rookieracer
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Robby04
Hey guys,
Can we talk about the air fitting on headers. I am about to pull the trigger. But then I see air fitting or no air fitting. I gather this is an emissions system.
What option are you guys running. Does everybody delete the air system, making headers w no air fitting better?
There is no performance advantage either way. I think they look better without. There is a weight savings to be had eliminating the air injection pump and all of the stuff that goes with it.

None of the long tube headers are emission approved, so it comes down to personal preference.

I found a deal on my ARH 1 7/8 and they had the fittings so I kept the system in tact. If they would have come without fittings I would have deleted the system.

As a side note, I haven't burnt any wires and I run this thing pretty hard in 100 degree heat track days. 2 years and counting.

Then again it is a stock 2002 LS1 with Vararam, tune, headers and high flow cats. So I may not be making the power that others are.

Now if I could just find the time to install that YSI supercharger kit along with the heads and cam that has been sitting on the bench for 2 years now.
Old 09-26-2015, 12:14 AM
SBCGENII
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

LG's and B&B fit the best. Should get a tune too.

Last edited by SBCGENII; 09-26-2015 at 12:16 AM.
Old 09-26-2015, 12:22 AM
Robby04
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookieracer
There is no performance advantage either way. I think they look better without. There is a weight savings to be had eliminating the air injection pump and all of the stuff that goes with it.

None of the long tube headers are emission approved, so it comes down to personal preference.

I found a deal on my ARH 1 7/8 and they had the fittings so I kept the system in tact. If they would have come without fittings I would have deleted the system.

As a side note, I haven't burnt any wires and I run this thing pretty hard in 100 degree heat track days. 2 years and counting.

Then again it is a stock 2002 LS1 with Vararam, tune, headers and high flow cats. So I may not be making the power that others are.

Now if I could just find the time to install that YSI supercharger kit along with the heads and cam that has been sitting on the bench for 2 years now.

thanks for the response. im in a similar situation, i found a deal on arh 1 7/8" headers no air fitting. i just was curios what the air system really did, and the plus or minus of deleting.

im also looking at those new hinson headers that are up for sale, the look pretty good for the price.

ill do a supercharger down the line hopefully, going for wheels and exhaust at the moment. you should deff get those parts in!!
Old 09-26-2015, 12:24 AM
Navybluevette
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by myredhead1
LG Super pros here. You may want to get heat sleeves for your plug wires. Went through a set within the first week with out mine.
I also have the LG super Pro's, X pipe and Corsa Indy Pace car with Tiger shark tips.

Get notified of new replies

To header stuff again

Quick Reply: header stuff again