Sponsored by:

Hinson shifter installed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 02:30 AM
z0stix
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Hinson shifter installed!!!

My shifter came in today and I installed it in about 18 minutes (have removed center consoles too many times)

It sits about an 1 inch higher than this other shifter I had, but the shifting is way better, although kinda stiff, it is not notchy and very solid, it doesn't vibrate anymore like the other one I had. I'm after getting used to it, the shifting will be even better.

Now all Im waiting for is for hinson to get more white ***** in stock! But this will do for now
Old 08-04-2015, 10:43 AM
SuperVetteC5
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

What did you do with the rubber sound/heat insulator that screws down over the shifter? I cut the hard plastic ring off the edge and then the rubber will stretch around the base of the Hinson shifter.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:32 PM
z0stix
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperVetteC5
What did you do with the rubber sound/heat insulator that screws down over the shifter? I cut the hard plastic ring off the edge and then the rubber will stretch around the base of the Hinson shifter.
Same thing, actually mine already had that cut from previous owner
Old 08-04-2015, 01:44 PM
Ludeaem
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I bet the inch in height really helped with leverage thus making it easier to shift. Not sure what other shifter you had though.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:38 PM
SuperVetteC5
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Ludeaem
I bet the inch in height really helped with leverage thus making it easier to shift. Not sure what other shifter you had though.
It helps, but being a really short throw, it is quite stiff. I know I'll get used to it like it is but I really hope it breaks in as they say. Then it will be really nice.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:39 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,285 Likes on 13,961 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

New shifter looks good. Hope you'll provide a review again once you have used the shifter for a while.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:03 PM
0HinsonSuperCars
Former Vendor

Location: Birmingham, AL www.hinsonsupercars.com 205-909-9402
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Just wanted to thank you again for the purchase. Feel free to keep everyone and us updated on your experience with the shifter.

It helps, but being a really short throw, it is quite stiff. I know I'll get used to it like it is but I really hope it breaks in as they say. Then it will be really nice.
The shifter will loosen up and require a lot less effort to shift after a few miles are put on it. The ones in our test cars can now be easily shifted with a finger or two. Thanks again for the purchase and we have the shift ***** being made with your name on one as soon as they come in. Keep everyone updated and give us some feedback on how short and smooth the shifter is compared to whatever you had before. Not asking for anyone to speak badly about anything, but consumers like honest comparison to something they are familiar with.

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
New shifter looks good. Hope you'll provide a review again once you have used the shifter for a while.
Thanks. We thought it looked pretty sharp too, but the performance is far better than the curb appeal. Pick you up one. You won't be disappointed.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:45 AM
Cliff8928
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Looking at the pics, it appears that the base of the shifter (pivot point) is significantly taller than most of the other aftermarkets. This could be a good thing since you can have a nice short throw with a taller stick that's closer to the steering wheel.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:19 PM
0HinsonSuperCars
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Cliff8928
Looking at the pics, it appears that the base of the shifter (pivot point) is significantly taller than most of the other aftermarkets. This could be a good thing since you can have a nice short throw with a taller stick that's closer to the steering wheel.
The overall height of the shifter combined with the handle is a little shorter than the stock one (just to clarify). The pivot point and size of the pivot ball was significantly changed with our shifter. This partially contributes to how our shifter differs from other brands and is partially why the throws are so short. Pair these design changes with our unique mechanism and you have the perfect shifter.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:57 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Any shifter design is a compromise between shortness of throw and shift effort.. When the pivot point is raised to shorten the throw, there is a corresponding decrease in leverage and increase in shift effort..

Most shifters are already built with low friction materials, so I would not count on the shift effort to significantly decrease just due to "loosening up".

The shift effort and loading toward the gate are mainly controlled inside the transmission. I had a Hurst billet shifter with extra light spring loading on the gate for 10 years and it never did get any easier to shift.

I switched to a shifter designed with the Hurst billet plus 2 internals with a spherical bearing instead of trunnion mounting of the stick, with a slightly longer throw, and it seems to be the perfect compromise for street use.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 08-17-2015 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:21 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by Ludeaem
That is not the way it works.
For a given stick length, if you raise the pivot point to shorten the throw, you will increase the shift effort...
If you lengthen the stick, then you are increasing the throw.

The design is a compromise of short throw and shift effort.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:04 PM
0HinsonSuperCars
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by z0stix
My shifter came in today and I installed it in about 18 minutes (have removed center consoles too many times)

It sits about an 1 inch higher than this other shifter I had, but the shifting is way better, although kinda stiff, it is not notchy and very solid, it doesn't vibrate anymore like the other one I had. I'm after getting used to it, the shifting will be even better.

Now all Im waiting for is for hinson to get more white ***** in stock! But this will do for now
Looks good man. Glad your enjoying it. Let us know if you ever need anything else.

Get notified of new replies

To Hinson shifter installed!!!

Quick Reply: Hinson shifter installed!!!