Sponsored by:

I'm on a very tight budget.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 11:40 PM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Default I'm on a very tight budget.

I get quite a few comments about my car over the last few years. Most make the assumption I'm made of money or should be for driving this car. But the fact is I'm on a strict budget like most here. I'm disabled and live on my VA and Social Security so spending huge sums of money on my mods are not in the cards. Hence this is why I actually do everything myself and cannot just afford to pay a shop to do it. Big ticket items are planned for and I save to get the items, then figure out how to do the labor myself. I don't know many limitations that I can't overcome given the time to think it through. It seems that when I tell the people who look at my car I did almost all the work... they don't comprehend.

We all have hobbies, and we all must deal with monetary limits, and yes even lack of skill sets needed to do the work.... but always try to do what you can.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:44 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

Old 08-10-2015, 11:49 PM
FrankLP
Miles of Smiles
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 540 Likes on 365 Posts
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by sfc rick
I get quite a few comments about my car over the last few years. Most make the assumption I'm made of money or should be for driving this car. But the fact is I'm on a strict budget like most here. I'm disabled and live on my VA and Social Security so spending huge sums of money on my mods are not in the cards. Hence this is why I actually do everything myself and cannot just afford to pay a shop to do it. Big ticket items are planned for and I save to get the items, then figure out how to do the labor myself. I don't know many limitations that I can't overcome given the time to think it through. It seems that when I tell the people who look at my car I did almost all the work... they don't comprehend.

We all have hobbies, and we all must deal with monetary limits, and yes even lack of skill sets needed to do the work.... but always try to do what you can.
I totally hear ya Rick. I'm in the same boat for the most part. I'm also on a tight/strict budget, and also have to contend with a disability that's left me with very limited use of my left hand/arm.

That said...I take pride in the mods/jobs that I've done (and will do) myself...especially knowing that the work would likely be much easier/faster to do with two good hands! But like you said...I always try to do what I can.

You've done a great job with your car...keep it up!
Old 08-10-2015, 11:49 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,233 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

You've done a great job on your car Rick and for being able to do a lot of those things on your own.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:13 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,260 Likes on 1,055 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

I feel the same way, some people think I'm rich which in reality I am far from it... I am proud of what I have but I worked very hard for it... I am also not married, have no kids, and have been responsible since I was a teenager... some other guys I work with have been married multiple times, have a handful of kids they are paying child support for, or can't act responsibly, so to me it's no mystery
Old 08-11-2015, 04:46 AM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 278 Posts

Its amazing how "shopping smart" can really get you the most bang for your buck.

I paid less for my car then the average person paid for their Honda, family van or pick up truck.

Modding on a budget is half the fun
Old 08-11-2015, 06:48 AM
Stealth02
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

To Rick and others. You work hard all your life. Serve your country. Still life is a struggle to make ends meet . The C5 is to me the generation that really made the Corvette stand out. They are more affordable to own now and modding them is just a total enjoyment. I have to budget as well. I'm inching closer to retirement, work my a** off and make a decent living but I cannot just pay someone to do all the work I've done to mine. I think you earn a sense of pride by doing the work yourself as well. You get to know your car inside and out as well.. Your car is a monument of your labor of love and sfc rick I see a lot of love when I view pics of that white beauty. Enjoy it and maybe one day I'll get the chance to see it in person instead of just admiring it from afar.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:13 AM
sfc rick
Le Mans Master

Received 150 Likes on 79 Posts

Thanks for the compliments guys/gals. I'm in my dream car and still remember the years of driving used cars and trucks that were always just a mishap from the junkyard. Rolling down the highway on "may pops" and seeing how far I had to go on gas fumes while the kids and the misses needed clothes, shoes, and the next meal. I would have never imagined living such a blessed life now, and driving this magnificent car is the icing on top of the cake. Having the knowledge and the resources to enjoy my hobbies is a great pleasure. I really love my guns, leather making hobby, and playing with this C5. Life is great and I really enjoy sharing it with fellow Corvette owners at car shows. God Bless America and all of you!
Old 08-11-2015, 07:32 AM
R1 Rider
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I hear ya brother, I live in a small town where there are few jobs, I've worked at the same garage for 10 years and make $10 an hour but I drive an 02 Z06, a nice motorcycle and a jeep.. I owe nothing on either, I've had MANY nice cars and bikes but haven't owed on any vehicle in over 15 years, I just trade/barter plus I have 3 kids, one in college, one driving and a 7 year old
Old 08-11-2015, 07:51 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

You've done a super job on your Vette.....always loved your car.
Congrats to you.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:27 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by sfc rick

You can't take it with you.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:28 AM
JEH03Vette
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks for your service Rick Your car always looks great. I do the same thing as my budget allows, and try to do all the work myself, much more rewarding that way.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:46 AM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 366 Likes on 259 Posts

"may pops" - those were for the high-rollers. I've always used "sure pops".
Old 08-11-2015, 08:54 AM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,037 Likes on 2,024 Posts

You are a true Corvette enthusiast and car guy. I watched your threads and admire your DIY skills. You've done a great job and made it your own. And you drive it too.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:04 AM
bikeriderga
Melting Slicks

Received 196 Likes on 159 Posts

One of the nicest modded C5's out there Rick. You have done one super job on that car!

I think most of us are budget limited.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:14 AM
Mickeyrx70
Melting Slicks

Received 680 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by runner140*
You've done a super job on your Vette.....always loved your car.
Congrats to you.

Your Vette is one of my favorites!
Old 08-11-2015, 10:08 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JR-01
You can't take it with you.
so we shouldn't be able to spend our hard earned money on something we enjoy while we are here?... what do you suggest we do, become slaves and forfeit all of our earnings?

Get notified of new replies

To I'm on a very tight budget.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:11 AM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

I am on a budget too. If I wasn't into cars, I would probably be rich though
Old 08-11-2015, 10:13 AM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by neutron82
so we shouldn't be able to spend our hard earned money on something we enjoy while we are here?... what do you suggest we do, become slaves and forfeit all of our earnings?
I think you misinterpreted his response. He was saying to enjoy it while you are here and buy the things you want since money has no value after your number is drawn.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:16 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Black 02
I think you misinterpreted his response. He was saying to enjoy it while you are here and buy the things you want since money has no value after your number is drawn.
I might have misinterpreted it but going off the comments he usually makes it seemed negative to me, like he was saying the money was wasted or something

Quick Reply: I'm on a very tight budget.