Sponsored by:

03 Z "Reduced Engine Power" and won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 08:39 PM
BigBirdLS1
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 03 Z "Reduced Engine Power" and won't start

Guys I need some expert advice I am confused. I apologize for the long post in advance, but I don't want to leave any details out.

Today my brother was gonna surprise me and wash my 2003 Z06 and have it in my garage and covered up when I got home from work...well that didn't go as planned.

He got the car started and backed it out of garage let car idle for 15-20 seconds while he shut garage door and before he got back to my car it just died. He tried to get it started and it would turn over but wouldn't crank DIC had "Reduced Engine Power". He called me and when I got there it wouldn't start for me either. Here is the short version of what we tried.

Haven't heard fuel pump prime at all

1. Checked fuse and swapped relay with the fog lamp relay (same part #) fuse was good and relay didn't fix it.
2. Unhooked battery to go to get it tested battery tested good was unhooked for approximately 1 hour.
3. Returned home and used my brothers battery and car started and ran for less than 1 minute and died. Wouldn't restart
4. Swapped back to my battery and called a tow truck. When driver got there I checked and there was fuel at the rail but it still don't start/
5. Got it towed to my house 2.5 miles away and just for giggles I tried to start it and it cranks and ran for 10 minutes w/ no codes or DIC displays. I shut car off and haven't touched it. Still haven't heard pump prime, but we can hear the pump prime in my brothers Z.

I'm at a complete loss as to what the issue is. I ask for any help or suggestions. Thanks guys
Old 08-20-2015, 08:58 PM
BigBirdLS1
Advanced

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Did you actively try to pull the codes (Key in ON and press and hold options and simultaneously press fuel 4 times) or did you just expect them to show in the DIC???

I actively pulled the codes and they pointed me nowhere.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:07 PM
BigBirdLS1
Advanced

What were they????

Codes followed by an H CAN be significant is identifying issues.

I had 3 codes that were MAF sensor related, but I am running a Speed Density tune so thats no worry.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:26 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

So what are the codes?
Old 08-20-2015, 09:35 PM
BigBirdLS1
Advanced

PO102 PO103 PO1514

All three relate to the MAF sensor that I do not have because my car was dyno tuned on a Speed Density tune.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:12 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

Have a read through. Could be the TAC or BCM that went.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...tion-long.html
Old 08-20-2015, 11:39 PM
BigBirdLS1
Advanced

Guys now I'm dumbfounded. I went to the garage just 5 minutes ago, got in the car and turned the ignition to On I heard the fuel pump prime and it started right up. Didn't run funny or give me any new codes.

I'm glad that it appears to be working, but I'm worried if this issue is gonna come back at anytime. Or did my car just have a brain fart and disconnecting the battery for an hour and throwing it on a battery tender for a few hours fix it?
Old 08-20-2015, 11:45 PM
Rexde1
Le Mans Master

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Maybe for a present your brother could not drive your car.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:56 PM
BigBirdLS1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rexde1
Maybe for a present your brother could not drive your car.
I'm 100% confident that he did nothing that would've caused this issue. He has been around fast cars and manuals for 10yrs. He has a 2003 Z06 too so he is familiar with them.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:48 AM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 817 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Low battery and issues with the ignition switch have been known to create all sorts of strange electrical symptoms/issues.

Have the battery tested. Just because the car will start does NOT mean the electrical systems had sufficient voltage to keep them happy. Many go through a diagnostic when the ignition is turned to on and low voltage can cause the diagnostics to fail.

Here is a link about diagnosing an ignition switch issue.:

diagnosis

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1568186703-post64.html

If the voltage measured across the battery posts differs more than about 0.4 volts from what is measured at the indicated fuses would indicate a need to repair or replace the ignition switch. Switch is what is BEHIND the key cylinder and is well known for heavy pitting and carbon build up on the contact surfaces on the C5 over time.
That is what I am thinking. I totally agree. I still think the battery
is the problem.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:28 PM
BigBirdLS1
Advanced

UPDATE: Since having my car towed to my house yesterday, I've gone to my garage and gotten my car to start and run for 5 minutes til I shut it off. I can also hear my fuel pump priming where as before I had it towed I couldn't. Is my pump on its way out and it just works randomly? But I know yesterday that when it wouldn't start and I couldn't hear my pump priming I still had fuel at the rail...I'm definitely confused and dumb founded. I just can't figure this out.
Old 08-22-2015, 01:54 AM
Ferg03 Z06
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I am said brother in question. The only thing that has me stumped is when I originally started the car it ran maybe 30 seconds and just died, no sputtering or surging. After a few checks and it sitting for a few hours, we took the same type battery from my 03 Z(Optima Red Top) from my car and installed it. The battery in my car is consistently hooked to a Battery Tender Jr when not being driven. The car/battery had been hooked up for about 5 days straight.

Installed my battery car cranked right up, ran for roughly 30 seconds maybe less, and just died. Once again no sputtering or surging. Got the same messages about "Reduced Engine Power".

The thing that makes me question it all, is I was not hearing the fuel pump prime. And it cranked with my battery that was hooked up on a battery tender for several days, but still only ran for 20 seconds or so before it died.

The rest of the situation is explained in earlier posts..I am so confused about this!!!
Old 08-22-2015, 07:19 AM
VettesGoneWild
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBirdLS1
UPDATE: Since having my car towed to my house yesterday, I've gone to my garage and gotten my car to start and run for 5 minutes til I shut it off. I can also hear my fuel pump priming where as before I had it towed I couldn't. Is my pump on its way out and it just works randomly? But I know yesterday that when it wouldn't start and I couldn't hear my pump priming I still had fuel at the rail...I'm definitely confused and dumb founded. I just can't figure this out.
I had concerns about not hearing the fuel pump prime earlier this spring when the engine cranked longer than usual before starting. Well over time it seems as though sometimes I hear pump prime and others, not. Maybe if the pressure remains adequate it doesnt need to prime? Anyway if I hear it or not the car starts usually right away and others a couple seconds later and runs fine.

Get notified of new replies

To 03 Z "Reduced Engine Power" and won't start

Quick Reply: 03 Z "Reduced Engine Power" and won't start