Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full HID conversion from Corvette Mods????

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 12:14 PM
twill
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Full HID conversion from Corvette Mods????

I have received my Full HID conversion from Corvette Mods and ordered the bulbs that THEY OFFERED. I managed to get the high bulbs into the housing but the low bulbs don't seem to fit. Has anyone else installed this kit???? I am trying to lay it all out before I start taking the car apart. If ANYONE can give any feedback I would be appreciated.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:01 PM
slfwilrr
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I bought mine 18 months ago I had to purchase a separate adapter plug/ harness to make it work.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:04 PM
twill
Racer

Default Adapter?

Originally Posted by slfwilrr
When I bought mine 18 months ago I had to purchase a separate adapter plug/ harness to make it work.
Do you recall where you got the adapter or the part #? Thanks for the help.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:24 AM
slfwilrr
Advanced

Originally Posted by twill
Do you recall where you got the adapter or the part #? Thanks for the help.
Check out ebay. I don't remember and I'd have to pull mine out to get the numbers. Check the bulb they sent you and then the bulb you have and then figure out the male to female adapter you'll need accordingly. example? H-11 female to H-9 male. Sorry, couldn't be of more help?
Old 08-26-2015, 10:43 AM
Radicaltimes
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have received my Full HID conversion from Corvette Mods and ordered the bulbs that THEY OFFERED. I managed to get the high bulbs into the housing but the low bulbs don't seem to fit. Has anyone else installed this kit???? I am trying to lay it all out before I start taking the car apart. If ANYONE can give any feedback I would be appreciated.
Did you contact Corvette Mods and ask them?
Old 08-26-2015, 12:35 PM
twill
Racer

Default The first thing....

Originally Posted by Radicaltimes
Did you contact Corvette Mods and ask them?
Yes I did. I called them and told them what was going on and they told me to send them pictures and part #s and they would get back to me. The problem is that I work four 12 hour shifts and won't be able to send them pictures until Friday. The housings came with a regular bulb in the low beam side but I paid more for the HID bulbs and they don't fit in the housings. The part that has me baffled is, am I really the first person to have this problem with this product??? My other thought was to just use the bulb that came in the housing and not install the ballast for the low beam side. The only reason I went with Corvette Mods lights was that they offer the halo upgrade but after getting the kit I am second guessing my decision based on my experience with the seller and the WEAK INSTRUCTIONS that come with this kit. I'm sorry but its a little FRUSTRATING!!!!!!
Old 08-26-2015, 01:03 PM
Stealth02
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

You mau want to contact radioflyer on this. He may be able to help out and have the parts you need to make it all work. He specializes in this particular area.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:12 PM
twill
Racer

Default Will do, THANKS.

Originally Posted by Stealth02
You mau want to contact radioflyer on this. He may be able to help out and have the parts you need to make it all work. He specializes in this particular area.
Thanks, Any word on the diffusers ?
Old 08-26-2015, 01:38 PM
Stealth02
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

Still waiting. Pete is trying to get an update. I need one back on my car bad. Oh you can message Cole3 here on the forum. I purchased Lowbeam HID'S for my friends ACA style light housings. His kit is top notch. He sent me the complete relay harness with built in resistors to run the lowbeams. Very easy install. Bought the ballasts and HID bulbs as well. What housings do you have? Do they use standard 9004 bulbs. My friends ACA housings have a smaller base and the stock bulb does not fit in them.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:17 PM
twill
Racer

Default Same here.

Originally Posted by Stealth02
Still waiting. Pete is trying to get an update. I need one back on my car bad. Oh you can message Cole3 here on the forum. I purchased Lowbeam HID'S for my friends ACA style light housings. His kit is top notch. He sent me the complete relay harness with built in resistors to run the lowbeams. Very easy install. Bought the ballasts and HID bulbs as well. What housings do you have? Do they use standard 9004 bulbs. My friends ACA housings have a smaller base and the stock bulb does not fit in them.
Corvette Mods sent me all the wiring and all the lights and four ballasts and the only problems are 1, The instructions on putting it all together are worthless, 2, for something that is plug and play, the adapter needed for the HID bulb should be in the kit. For what these things cost I expected better support.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:35 PM
Witmer
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts

The lesson here is not to buy from Corvette Mods.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:15 PM
twill
Racer

Default Thanks to Patches...

I want to thank Patches on this forum because if he hadn't posted his thread on the install he did with his lights there is no way I would be able to even start this project.http://ACA HID Install - Lotsa Pics This will get me through this project if I can get the lights to fit in the housing.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:51 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

The bulb required for the factory low beams is a 9006 type. It's a similar tab style to the high beam bulb but the top tab is reversed.

If you have their projector headlight setup, the low beam bulb should be a H9 base.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:37 PM
twill
Racer

Originally Posted by theradioflyer
The bulb required for the factory low beams is a 9006 type. It's a similar tab style to the high beam bulb but the top tab is reversed.

If you have their projector headlight setup, the low beam bulb should be a H9 base.
The bulb that was already in the housing is a 9006 type bulb and it has a press fit with a H9 female plug. The upgraded HID bulb that they sold me has two wires that come off the back and with adapters that fit the leads on the ballasts. The plastic around the base of the bulb doesn't match up with the opening on the light housing. I'm wondering if the bulbs would fit in the Fog Light housing?
Old 08-27-2015, 07:24 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

The bulb that was already in the housing is a 9006 type bulb and it has a press fit with a H9 female plug. The upgraded HID bulb that they sold me has two wires that come off the back and with adapters that fit the leads on the ballasts. The plastic around the base of the bulb doesn't match up with the opening on the light housing. I'm wondering if the bulbs would fit in the Fog Light housing?
Post a photo of the bulb in question and I can ID the base for you.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:08 PM
twill
Racer

Default Thanks Radio Flyer

Originally Posted by theradioflyer
Post a photo of the bulb in question and I can ID the base for you.
Thanks you George at Radioflyer Innovations. I will look forward to getting the correct bulbs. You went above and beyond!!!!!! THANKS AGAIN....
Old 08-27-2015, 06:32 PM
twill
Racer

Default All is good.

The package CONTAINED THE WRONG BULBS! Thanks for all the help, I should have the right bulbs by next week. I guess this means that I can put the new leather in the car this weekend instead of worrying about the lights....

Get notified of new replies

To Full HID conversion from Corvette Mods????

Old 08-27-2015, 10:36 PM
slfwilrr
Advanced

I went through the same problem when I did my headlights. I could not find a bulb that would fit in the light fixture and also fit in the original connector. The simple solution was an adapter that connected the two. I paid $7.95 for the pair. It was just plug and play.
It wasn't Corvette Mods fault, it was the company that makes the headlights. Actually I returned the set of the projector headlights and purchased a second set from a different manufacturer but had the same issue. Even when I bought HID bulbs they would not plug in to the standard connector but did work once I got the adapter. 9006 to H-11 I think is what it was. It was 18 months are so ago and got real frustrating till I found the adapters on ebay. Good Luck
Old 08-28-2015, 08:12 AM
twill
Racer

Default Close

Originally Posted by slfwilrr
I went through the same problem when I did my headlights. I could not find a bulb that would fit in the light fixture and also fit in the original connector. The simple solution was an adapter that connected the two. I paid $7.95 for the pair. It was just plug and play.
It wasn't Corvette Mods fault, it was the company that makes the headlights. Actually I returned the set of the projector headlights and purchased a second set from a different manufacturer but had the same issue. Even when I bought HID bulbs they would not plug in to the standard connector but did work once I got the adapter. 9006 to H-11 I think is what it was. It was 18 months are so ago and got real frustrating till I found the adapters on ebay. Good Luck
I'm being told that I need a HID bulb with a H9 base to fit the aftermarket housings.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:32 AM
slfwilrr
Advanced

I'm being told that I need a HID bulb with a H9 base to fit the aftermarket housings.
That may be but I think you'll find the original plug in on the C5 wiring harness only fits a 9006. Why the manufacturers of the headlight fixture set it up with the H-9 bulb is beyond me since this headlight fitment is just for C5's??????????????

Quick Reply: Full HID conversion from Corvette Mods????