Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to drive without front plate legally?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 05:47 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

Texas is a 2 plate state. I drove there without a front plate from sept 08-oct14 and was pulled over once with a warning.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:26 PM
Ceedub53
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I live in California where two plates are required, but 75% of the cars don't use the front plate. I don't either. I've ran without front plates on all my cars for over 15 years without being hassled. Now that I mention it, I'll probably get a fix-it ticket tomorrow.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:30 PM
sahhas
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Well i have heard 2 different things for our state-IA. We currently have plate in front window. Watched the vid of how to install front plate. Dont want to do it. Ug
Old 08-26-2015, 06:32 PM
ROJ#79
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by synca
well, I hope you agree that corvette with front plate looks ugly.
Washington State law says that I must have front and rear plates on my car.

However I saw ~10 corvettes on the road in this month and all of them didn't have front plate, how is that possible, is it legally?
Just move to FL, like I did!
Old 08-26-2015, 06:52 PM
R1 Rider
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by allred

IMHO C5s don't look bad with a front plate, although I'd rather go without, but it's the law in Kalifornia. (and technically my clear cover is illegal too)

It's the law that needs to be changed.

Sell me your plate filler since ya don't need one!
Old 08-26-2015, 07:32 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

I am a "sinner"...

The local police have never given me a problem in 15 years, but the DPS will pull you over here in a heartbeat and issue a ticket. Therefore, I never take my C5 out of town. You can live here illegally... no problem, but no front plate and you WILL be punished!

Last edited by Choreo; 08-26-2015 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:31 PM
synca
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it's pity guys, imagine $200k brand new Ferrari that doesnt have a room for plate onthe front, and you have to screw up the car exterior according to the law.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:41 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

"Law enforcement will oppose doing away with all front plates on all cars. He said they need them mainly for vehicle identification. The law, RCW 46.16.240 requires the front plate.
This is the part I find hilarious when it comes to the Washington State Patrol (WSP) wanting the plate front for vehicle ID. Their "argument" is that they need to see the front plate at any time. That includes (their argument) when a car is driving on a freeway late at night approaching a patrol car. Doesn't make any difference if it's raining or not.

Well, at 3:00 AM on a dark rainy night when a police car is tucked away on a freeway median, a Trooper is just not going to be able to see that front plate.

The real reason the WSP wants a front plate is because the metallic coating on the plate easily reflects radar waves. The 3M company is the sole provider to WA of that coating. And the 3M company is also a heavy contributor to a wide variety of police organizations or groups including the WSP Trooper's Association.

So when WA legislators try to introduce bills that would do away with a front plate, the WSP and the 3M Company works hard to lobby against these bills.

All of this is common knowledge in the WA State DMV and other agencies. WA will never see losing the front plate. I would really like to see the specific text of RCS that states the WSP can decide on what vehicle does not legally have to display a front plate. Those vehicles in the list that are pre '75 can get a specialty vehicle plate. that plate type is issued with just one plate and it never expires.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:48 PM
minitech
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Has anyone thought about using an electrically retractable front plate? Have it go up when parked but retract when driving automatically. Then if you get pulled over flip the bypass and show the plate telling the cop he must be mistaken and show him the plate clearly present. Problem solved.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:26 PM
91LSMAN
Le Mans Master

Received 412 Likes on 215 Posts

I recently took mine off and decided to chance it. Have not been pulled over yet.

My Dad's office is right by a state patrol office.

The cars he has had while working out of this location:

03 Lightning-No front plate
350z-No front plate
98 C5-no front plate

Currently has CTS with a front plate, and his Z06 with no front plate and has never been pulled over.

By not running it you take a chance. Technically I am breaking the law and I acknowledge it. If I get pulled over, I'll pay.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:37 PM
allred
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamerhaw
Sell me your plate filler since ya don't need one!

LOL, Yamerhaw, I would like to help, but I'm keeping it in case the next owner of my car doesn't live in a mandatory front-plate-state!

Old 08-26-2015, 11:17 PM
Mistrezz 06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 179 Likes on 140 Posts

Never been bother so far but my license plate is behind the front cover plate just in case. If I get pulled and the cop is an *** I just take the cover plate off and there it is !!!
Old 08-26-2015, 11:37 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by minitech
Has anyone thought about using an electrically retractable front plate? Have it go up when parked but retract when driving automatically. Then if you get pulled over flip the bypass and show the plate telling the cop he must be mistaken and show him the plate clearly present. Problem solved.
Retractors are now illegal in Texas.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:38 AM
synca
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mistrezz 06
Never been bother so far but my license plate is behind the front cover plate just in case. If I get pulled and the cop is an *** I just take the cover plate off and there it is !!!
hm, and it really works for you? how many times was you pulled over?
Old 08-27-2015, 01:19 AM
dopefedz
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

In 15 years of owning cars I think Ive had two maybe 3 tickets for no front plates. Recently though the troopers on interstate from Houston to Dallas have pulled me over 3 times. All have been warnings.

Now I just keep my plate under the cover and pull it off when I make my trip. Once I arrive in Dallas or back to houston I throw the cover back on.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:16 AM
Sydwayz
Burning Brakes

Received 270 Likes on 198 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18

Great thread on how to do this right here on the Forum:

Old 08-27-2015, 03:38 AM
Nyt_Muves
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Default How to drive without front plate legally?

Fortunately I live in a no front plate state. It would look awful on my C5 and on my ST. however, I like the way the law is written in UTAH. Apparently they can write you for it but you cannot be pulled over solely for not having one.

I was traveling in Washington state a while back and was having lunch with a client. I notice a meter maid fiddling around my car. Wrote me for it. I went to confront her and she insisted I needed one. I pointed out that Arizona doesn't issue a front plate. She said she was sorry but I was in Washington. I ended up having to go to the court. What a colossal waste of time. That's what you get in the liberal people's republic of Washington I guess.

Get notified of new replies

To How to drive without front plate legally?

Old 08-27-2015, 07:45 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Nyt_Muves
I was traveling in Washington state a while back and was having lunch with a client. I notice a meter maid fiddling around my car. Wrote me for it. I went to confront her and she insisted I needed one. I pointed out that Arizona doesn't issue a front plate. She said she was sorry but I was in Washington. I ended up having to go to the court. What a colossal waste of time. That's what you get in the liberal people's republic of Washington I guess.
I spent many, many years in law enforcement and when I read things like this it makes me angry. Why on God's green earth would someone give you a ticket for no front plate when one isn't required in the state you reside? You are correct. Just a waste of your time.

I often used no front plate as probable cause to stop vehicles, but never issued tickets for it. This topic has seen much debate over the years on the forum. Personally, I don't see that much value to law enforcement to having a front plate. If it's such an important tool, why don't all 50 states mandate it?

On the other hand, it bothers me when people complain about being stopped and getting a ticket for it. I live in a two-plate state and don't know any Corvette owners that aren't aware of the law. I don't have one on my car, but have never been stopped for it. If I ever do get a ticket, I won't complain because I've made the decision not to display one.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:17 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by synca
it's pity guys, imagine $200k brand new Ferrari that doesnt have a room for plate onthe front, and you have to screw up the car exterior according to the law.

If you can afford that kind of car, you can probably afford to buy the local PD.

(just sayin".................)
Old 08-27-2015, 08:49 AM
cmjuhl
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No plate on my car, but if I need one I slap this on works great!

http://www.corvettemods.com/Corvette...s-_p_9780.html

Last edited by cmjuhl; 08-27-2015 at 12:33 PM.

Quick Reply: How to drive without front plate legally?