Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to drive without front plate legally?

Old 08-27-2015, 09:07 AM
R1 Rider
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by allred

LOL, Yamerhaw, I would like to help, but I'm keeping it in case the next owner of my car doesn't live in a mandatory front-plate-state!

I hear ya, I have one on my car, it's just chipped a little, but about as cheap to buy one as to have it painted
Old 08-27-2015, 11:05 AM
synca
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so as Resume: Who dont want to put front plate - driving without it and ready to pay $124 fine if got pulled over.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:44 AM
skyscraperac7
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Ohio it says plate must be on front of car. Put suction cups in holes on plate. If you see you are getting pulled over,stick the plate on the inside of windshield. That's the front.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:19 PM
smartadze
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In the Austin Texas area, I have twice personally witnessed a long line of State and Local cops handing out tickets at car shows to all drivers departing the grounds without a front plate.

Only one driveway out - basically a lineup for a ticket - twenty or thirty cars pulled over. Of course, it's all about "safety". A Big Money day for the Lone Star state.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:28 PM
synca
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by smartadze
Only one driveway out - basically a lineup for a ticket - twenty or thirty cars pulled over. Of course, it's all about "safety". A Big Money day for the Lone Star state.
what safety are you talking about? i would say it's the cratch for cops
Old 08-27-2015, 01:33 PM
DBRASUE
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceedub53
I live in California where two plates are required, but 75% of the cars don't use the front plate. I don't either. I've ran without front plates on all my cars for over 15 years without being hassled. Now that I mention it, I'll probably get a fix-it ticket tomorrow.
I have been stopped twice in two years for this by the CHP. Each time just a fix it ticket. No $$$ required.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:59 PM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,260 Likes on 1,055 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by smartadze
In the Austin Texas area, I have twice personally witnessed a long line of State and Local cops handing out tickets at car shows to all drivers departing the grounds without a front plate.

it has nothing to do with safety, they just want the front plate on the car so the thousands of cameras placed all over the place can get your picture "in case they need it"
Old 08-27-2015, 02:21 PM
allred
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamerhaw
I hear ya, I have one on my car, it's just chipped a little, but about as cheap to buy one as to have it painted
On checking them out, they are pricey in the correct body color..........$199.00 bucks. Ouch!

http://www.southerncarparts.com/corv...FcdcfgodhxULmw

http://rpidesigns.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=1857

Old 08-27-2015, 02:29 PM
tandt
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Why do people keep whining about this? Run the plate, don't run the plate-WHO CARES? How many times do you actually even look at the front of the car anyway? Does a beat up front filler look any better than a front plate? If you get a ticket, don't CRY, you decided not to run with the front plate. As they say, don't do the crime is you......
Old 08-27-2015, 02:50 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by ROJ#79
Just move to FL, like I did!
I'd rather have a front plate duct taped to the front than move to FLA.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:54 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by synca
so as Resume: Who dont want to put front plate - driving without it and ready to pay $124 fine if got pulled over.
I've had no front plate for 10 years or so. Passed lots of LEOs over the years, and they've been cool. OTOH, I live in the SE corner of the state, and there's less PC BS of all types here. (not that there's none)
Old 08-27-2015, 03:06 PM
Aug Air
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How to drive without front plate legally?

I have the plate on the front of my vette. Doesn't look bad. Don't have to worry about a ticket. I just read that IL has the second highest rate in the US for tickets so not giving them any excuse to pull me over.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:15 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,339 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Originally Posted by neutron82
it has nothing to do with safety, they just want the front plate on the car so the thousands of cameras placed all over the place can get your picture "in case they need it"...
Old 08-27-2015, 03:58 PM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16
Default IL plate tix

Originally Posted by Aug Air
I have the plate on the front of my vette. Doesn't look bad. Don't have to worry about a ticket. I just read that IL has the second highest rate in the US for tickets so not giving them any excuse to pull me over.
Really ?! I have a front on my C6 also. I have a Notre Dame plate and am a rabid fan so I'm ok with it.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:23 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by skyscraperac7
In Ohio it says plate must be on front of car. Put suction cups in holes on plate. If you see you are getting pulled over,stick the plate on the inside of windshield. That's the front.
I could be wrong, but I believe the license plate has to be affixed to the front exterior of a vehicle. In Illinois, putting it on the windshield would be considered "Improper Display of Registration" unless they've changed the vehicle code since I retired.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:20 PM
Borntorun04/17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 622 Posts

I use the show n go remote plate holder. When at cruise night plate holder is down out of sight. When leaving cruise night I raise it back up. Most of the time I forget to raise it back up and drive around with plate down.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:35 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by thisMSGgood4me
Sorry to burst your bubble but the windshield is NOT the front of the car. The front bumper is the front of the car. The windshield is closer to the middle of the car. A license plate in the windshield is NOT properly displayed and can be written up just as if it wasn't displayed at all.
Oops! Sorry, I just saw your other post. Didn't realize you beat me to it.

Get notified of new replies

To How to drive without front plate legally?

Old 08-27-2015, 06:37 PM
REDHOTS
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I would rather run a front plate, rather than try and look cool being a "Rebel without a cause" It is one less thing to worry about when having fun. They have probable cause without one. It isn't going to get better, because they need it for red light/speeding cameras. And, with plate scanners, that is how they caught the shooter of the reporters.
Everyone that is supposed to have one, it is not all that cool to not run it. I would just feel like another DUFUS without it. I only got pulled over once, for no front plate in 1976, and gave up. I don't like the law either. First thing I did when I bought my car was, remove front plate filler, and put on the plate. Then removed blacked out tail light covers, and the illegal window tint, and straight exhaust. Much more relaxing to drive. I wish somebody made a tapered front plate surround like the C6 has.

Last edited by REDHOTS; 08-27-2015 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:56 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by zeevette
I'd rather have a front plate duct taped to the front than move to FLA.
I couldn't move there anyway: I think my ex-wife's people still have a bounty out on me.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:17 PM
TXWMH
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I can't stand the front plate law in Texas, I've gotten busted a few times but got off with a warning.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to drive without front plate legally?