Sponsored by:

Please take a minute to read this... thanks

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 01:26 PM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by IH8FORD
I know what your saying but you haft to see if from my side there is a **** ton of dealer and tech bashing on this site more so the c7 section. Its just hard to read every day when I take pride in what I do and I'm damn good at it. You are correct thou its only going to get harder and harder to find techs who know the C5. I have even found useful info on this site and its made me be able to diag some C5 problems even quicker.
Its not just finding techs that are good at what they do, its the pricing man , its literally off the charts insane , and you know that.

That is why dealers get a bad rap everywhere, no offense to you personally.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:28 PM
Mistrezz 06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 179 Likes on 140 Posts

I'm with you 73 vette, this forum has save me money and time with my vette too !!! Well put...
Old 08-28-2015, 01:32 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by The Chev
I'll just leave this here.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...get-hosed.html

IH8FORD, I have a question for you. Would you have been allowed to install the LMC5, or do you have some sort of requirement to follow the service manual even when you know it is wrong? ........or should I not ask those sorts of questions?
That's a valid question... and it's not HIS fault that GM won't let them use aftermarket parts to FIX something that they can't even fix...
IH8FORD... this isn't, wasn't meant to be an attack... it's just to inform the C5 owners that the Dealership is limited in what they can do, and what they may know... and that in this forum, SOMEWHERE, SOMEBODY has been there done that... and even have some better parts and ways to get the job done...
Old 08-28-2015, 01:39 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by IH8FORD
I know what your saying but you haft to see if from my side there is a **** ton of dealer and tech bashing on this site more so the c7 section. Its just hard to read every day when I take pride in what I do and I'm damn good at it. You are correct thou its only going to get harder and harder to find techs who know the C5. I have even found useful info on this site and its made me be able to diag some C5 problems even quicker.
Sorry brother... I totally get what your saying, try not to take it personally...
GM made some BIG mistakes with the C5 that can be complicated to fix...
It's terribly expensive to just take a C5 to any dealership and drop it off for diagnostics and repair... they get a bad rap as well from the ones that don't give a crap about anything except getting your hard earned green backs...
I have, and will continue to balance my DIY, and getting parts with OEM/GM with what I can afford or am comfortable with tackling.

Sorry you have to get the flack for techs that aren't really qualified to work on C5 corvettes... and it's NOT your fault they charge an arm and a leg for parts and repairs...
Old 08-28-2015, 05:35 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by yanmar
I concur with 73 corvette
Me too !!!!!
Old 08-28-2015, 08:55 PM
IH8FORD
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by The Chev
I'll just leave this here.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...get-hosed.html

IH8FORD, I have a question for you. Would you have been allowed to install the LMC5, or do you have some sort of requirement to follow the service manual even when you know it is wrong? ........or should I not ask those sorts of questions?

We wont order a lmc5 but i do advise customers too. I had a guy come in monday asking about the service column lock message coming on. I told him to order the lmc5 and then bring car in and i would install it.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:01 PM
IH8FORD
Racer

Originally Posted by 1Willy1
Its not just finding techs that are good at what they do, its the pricing man , its literally off the charts insane , and you know that.

That is why dealers get a bad rap everywhere, no offense to you personally.
Around here are pricing is not far off at all from most independent shops. I know I have a couple corvette and other chevy customers that come down from Toronto due to the prices in the US being alot cheaper. not per say corvettes but i cant tell you how many independent shops bring us things to fix pay us then up the bill to the final customer. there will always be places that do it cheaper but they also dont have the overhead of a dealership. costs of running a 2-3 bay shop over a 25-30 bay shop are alot different.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:03 PM
IH8FORD
Racer

At the end of the day guys im not trying to defend dealers I was just saying how to it sucks to read negative **** about a job you love and take pride in doing everyday your on this site.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:49 PM
DSTURBD
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Hey Ih8fords,

I totally hear what you are saying! I was a factory trained Harley mechanic in the 80's. I went to the factory school in Phoenix instead of Milwaukee as I wanted to spend my time in the classroom learning as opposed to doing the museum tour, and all of the other stuff they do in Milwaukee, etc. Routinely, our instructor would ask questions like "can anyone other than Mike tell me the power flow through the five speed in third gear?" because they knew that I was paying attention and wanted to get everything I possibly could from the factory guys while I had access to them!! AND they knew that I knew the answer before they asked the question!!

However, I was working in a 4X4 shop at one point and dropped a fuel injected Jag V-12 in my 260Z Datsun as everyone was putting small block Chevy's in them and I wanted to do something different and maybe a little special to mine. At that time, there was no internet and I was limited to whatever print publications I could find and whoever I could find that had Jag experience. The internet makes it soooo much easier to find info from people who have the knowledge and experience that can simplify your project and make it a lot cheaper. Like you, I would also be on the lookout for info that could increase my knowledge in my area of expertise (as any really competent and conscientious tech would do) and use it to mine and my customers' advantage!! I applaud you sir, and I feel your pain!!!!!

By the way, the conversion came out looking like a factory install and I still have the pics to prove it!! The thing that struck me about the factory car was how much wasted space there was in the engine bay originally. After the Jag mill was in there, there wasn't a square centimeter of free space that didn't serve a specific purpose!!! It was respectable off the line, but 70 to 130 mph was almost instantaneous!!! I never came up against any other car that could take me in a roll-on!!

My hat off to you and just keep on keepin' on dude!!!

DSTURBD
Old 08-29-2015, 12:39 AM
neutron82
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,261 Likes on 1,056 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by DDaaryl
While the forum is very helpful I find it way to full of ads and owners obsessed with adding bolt on aftermarket parts. It needs a section for car molesters outside the general area. I know the ads "support" the site but enough "bump" is enough. Craig's list calls it overposting.
so anyone who wants to modify their car for the better is a molester?... I'm sorry but the c5 out of the box just wasn't enough for me, I have violated mine purdy good

Originally Posted by 1Willy1
Other then this forum Its rare to see the vendors given such carte blanche to do as they please.

Recently I saw a vendor throwing it in a guys face that he pays good money for him to be here for free , and how he will have any threads speaking negatively about him closed down etc...
hmmm.........

I have learned a ton about these cars by reading on this forum, talking with other members, and through my own experiences, mistakes and all... I will do the best that I can to help others out and steer them in the right direction if it's something I can contribute to... at one point in time I was that guy asking all the questions and most people were kind enough to help me so it feels good to be able to help others out and keep that trend alive... HOWEVER, I do wish some people would take a little more initiative at times and do some research... these forums can get cluttered up with someone asking a question about a topic that was covered sometimes just a few threads down from the one they created or on the same page

Last edited by neutron82; 08-29-2015 at 12:44 AM.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:16 AM
shovel52
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I can't agree more with the OP on this. I am a long-time Corvette owner, 47 years of them, and I don't post much. My C5 had the opportunity to go wading a while back. Fried the BCM and the lower fuse block. All of the info on this forum got me all the information I needed to put my pride and joy back on the road with minimal outside intervention. I found a small repair shop that would reprogram the new BCM and got everything else I needed from local car parts places. All in all, my event was about $500. My Vette looks and runs like new. I am appreciative of all who post. I would post what I did, but it is all well documented when you read to stickys. I just simply want to say thanks. Ken
Old 08-31-2015, 02:01 PM
Marine One
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two years ago my car started acting strangely. Cruise control would disengage on it's own, would display traction control messages in the DIC, etc. On one occasion I could feel the traction control kick in for no reason. I looked up the symptoms here and discovered it was a steering wheel position sensor. As luck would have it, I was ready to embark on my annual September 2000+ mile road trip. It is officially known by my wife as the Outstanding Long Distance Fall Annual Road Trip (OLD FART). I needed the car to be 100% for this. So I took it to my local dealer service dept, with whom I have a good relationship. When I made the appointment I told them I needed a new SWPS and they made sure one was in stock. I took the car in for the appointment, planning to wait for the repair. A little while later the ticket writer comes out and tells me they can't find a code for the SWPS or anything else. I knew this, as thanks to this forum I know how to pull codes and decipher what they mean, and how to reset them. Next he suggests that I "drive it some more" until it throws a code. This is on Friday, and I am scheduled to leave on Operation OLD FART on Monday Morning. I told him, change it anyway, which caused him to give me a baffled look.

It gets better.

Since I was planning to wait on what I knew to be a 2-3 hour repair, I'd brought my laptop with me. I had the page pulled up from this forum that discussed the SWPS failure and how it most of the time doesn't throw a code until the bitter end. I pulled out my laptop and opened it on his work station and said, "read this." As he read the post the look on his face was priceless. I finally told him a second time to just change it. It cured the problem and I was able to embark on Operation OLD FART with the car at 100%.

By the time this incident occurred, I'd been a member here for over three years. Based on the quality of the advice offered in the posts and the level of maturity consistently demonstrated by the vast majority of the membership here, I had no problem basing the need for the repair on what I'd read here.

I've been a member of forums for cars, boats, firearms, a BBQ grill, and even cell phones. This one is easily the best.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:05 PM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

My biggest gripe with the dealership right now is my "old" C-5, in line for (whatever) service, tend to get shuffled backwards if a newer vette (read: higher priority) comes in with a (read: more profitable) problem.

Last time, took them 2 weeks to even look at it, now been waiting another week on parts.

Why: C7 with a torque tube problem (dropped off the same day as my C5) , then some other vette with a blown engine (4 days after my C5).

I know the work I need done is less than 2 hours. Granted, I have 2 other cars, but geeze...I'm still a paying customer...what happened to 1st come, 1st serve? (which is how it was through the fist several years of owning the C5.)
Old 08-31-2015, 11:15 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine One
Two years ago my car started acting strangely. Cruise control would disengage on it's own, would display traction control messages in the DIC, etc. On one occasion I could feel the traction control kick in for no reason. I looked up the symptoms here and discovered it was a steering wheel position sensor. As luck would have it, I was ready to embark on my annual September 2000+ mile road trip. It is officially known by my wife as the Outstanding Long Distance Fall Annual Road Trip (OLD FART). I needed the car to be 100% for this. So I took it to my local dealer service dept, with whom I have a good relationship. When I made the appointment I told them I needed a new SWPS and they made sure one was in stock. I took the car in for the appointment, planning to wait for the repair. A little while later the ticket writer comes out and tells me they can't find a code for the SWPS or anything else. I knew this, as thanks to this forum I know how to pull codes and decipher what they mean, and how to reset them. Next he suggests that I "drive it some more" until it throws a code. This is on Friday, and I am scheduled to leave on Operation OLD FART on Monday Morning. I told him, change it anyway, which caused him to give me a baffled look.

It gets better.

Since I was planning to wait on what I knew to be a 2-3 hour repair, I'd brought my laptop with me. I had the page pulled up from this forum that discussed the SWPS failure and how it most of the time doesn't throw a code until the bitter end. I pulled out my laptop and opened it on his work station and said, "read this." As he read the post the look on his face was priceless. I finally told him a second time to just change it. It cured the problem and I was able to embark on Operation OLD FART with the car at 100%.

By the time this incident occurred, I'd been a member here for over three years. Based on the quality of the advice offered in the posts and the level of maturity consistently demonstrated by the vast majority of the membership here, I had no problem basing the need for the repair on what I'd read here.

I've been a member of forums for cars, boats, firearms, a BBQ grill, and even cell phones. This one is easily the best.

Quick Reply: Please take a minute to read this... thanks