Sponsored by:

Please take a minute to read this... thanks

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 08:35 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts
Default Please take a minute to read this... thanks

For some reason things on the forum seem to run in spurts... TPMS sensors can be the flavor of the month or Wobbling Harmonic Dampers...
Occasionally something comes up that I find different or interesting, it just catches my attention...
Lately I've noticed in General and Tech that a common thread...PUN intended, is DEALERSHIPS...

The commonality is that JOE BLOW takes his/her C5 with... let's just say a minor problem like a bad sensor on the TPMS system, this is ONLY an exaggerated example to make a point.

1. They misdiagnose the problem...and give some ridiculous reason as to why it's doing what it's doing...

2. They install a new RFA...

3. They explain why the NEW RFA didn't fix the problem and tell you need the wiring harness replaced...

4. 2 weeks later, $4000 dollars later, you leave and before you get home your TPMS system fails again......you get the picture.

WHAT DO YOU DO?

1. COME to THIS FORUM!

2. GIVE all the information you can about your CAR, make, model, mods, etc.

3. Try to give a concise, clear description of WHAT the problem is...
PICS/VIDEOS are a BIG help if you can.

4. PULL THE CODES!!!!!!!!!!! And POST them...

5. Read all the post regarding your issue... do a GOOGLE search relating to your issue...

6. Post any and all questions you have...even if you think it's trivial or stupid... someone else may be wondering the same thing and just didn't ask it or didn't want to hijack your thread...

7. Post what your intentions are and how you plan on fixing your issue...ask more questions... there may be a certain sequence, steps, tools, or parts you need for that job, that nobody mentioned but, might catch when you post what you plan on doing...ask more questions.

8. PLEASE post the outcome of what you did... did it fix it? How did the procedures work for you? Any short cuts or things you did or didn't do that made the job easier, faster, better.

The Corvette forum has already saved me hundreds of dollars and I've gotten a College Education/WyoTech degree by studying the forum.
Some very bright guys here that are willing to share their time, expertise, and knowledge about these cars... it's freakin awesome!
Thank you to ALL of you that take the time to read the same issues, over and over and take the time to reply to them over and over...WE do appreciate it!

Last edited by 73Corvette; 08-28-2015 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:38 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

There is such a vast knowledge base here - well worth doing some research and asking questions when problems arise.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:48 AM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

And this is free!!! Where's wyotech will cost you some dough.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:03 AM
Fast Cop
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

My thought exactly. This place has saved my many $$$$ also. I think in the past 8 years I have only needed to go to the dealership for a corvette related problem once. Thanks Corvette Forum.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:11 AM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

Received 158 Likes on 131 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Honestly, the first thing I do when I buy a new car is find an online forum. Sometimes even before the car is purchased so I know what to expect. The amount of information is endless and rarely does someone have an issue with their vehicle that they are the only one to have it (unless a brand new car and knowledge base hasn't had time to mature).

I don't like dealerships (unless under warranty--read:FREE, or they are doing a simple oil change). As my vehicles get older, I prefer to work on them myself. Finding replacement parts on the web is easy and usually inexpensive. Then following a forum to learn proper procedures makes the DIY repair manageable. I've done repairs on past vehicles that I would have NEVER considered on my own had I not been able to see pictures and steps to the process.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:35 AM
yanmar
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default educational

I concur with 73 corvette
Old 08-27-2015, 10:54 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

The Forum has kept me in Vettes for over ten years. They are driven daily, seven days a week and driven hard. Thanks Forum and all the members who have helped me thru problems and away from dealerships.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:15 AM
DDaaryl
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 395 Posts

While the forum is very helpful I find it way to full of ads and owners obsessed with adding bolt on aftermarket parts. It needs a section for car molesters outside the general area. I know the ads "support" the site but enough "bump" is enough. Craig's list calls it overposting.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:43 PM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 813 Likes on 431 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

This forum is great for information IF....

A. You have the capacity to accurately describe the problem and ask the right questions.

B. You don't drop an attitude when you don't get the answer you want.

And most importantly,

C. You follow up after the issue/problem/whatever you asked has been resolved with how you found an end to the question asked. This is the biggest fallacy I see is that people come in, get free info, then never report back and let everyone know what the fix was, which causes a great repetition of questions to get asked.

And even as a former sponsor here, I HATE that a lot of the sponsors bombard every single sub forum with the same for sale posts. I really wish they'd change that here.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:58 PM
The Chev
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastbird
And even as a former sponsor here, I HATE that a lot of the sponsors bombard every single sub forum with the same for sale posts. I really wish they'd change that here.
As a new guy here let me double this. The same posts from the same sponsors in all of the same sections just cloud up those of that want to learn. There is a section for forum vendors to post sales, why are we having to dance around? As it is, I do not want to pay money to support the forum if the vendors will continue to bombard me, and I enjoy learning about new products.

/end rant............ I only hope that one day I will be able to help someone after reading what I can.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:59 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

Since joining this forum 2 years ago when I got my 2000, I have:

changed the squeaky, chirping serpentine belt,
changed the main belt tensioner and idle pulleys sometime later,
changed the faulty hazard warning switch because my directionals started working only intermittently (from below without removing the center bezel),
replaced a bulb in the DIC which fell out (by removing the dash cluster via dropping the steering wheel and knee bolster),
replaced worn out bump stops on both headlight assemblies (from above, without removing much of anything),
installed an LMC5 and did the brown wire fix,
replaced a burned out directional bulb (from the front via the brake duct),
changed the oil and filter after leaning how to jack up and support the car on jack stands,
made hockey puck jacking pads, and
resoldered my failed key fob,
and I learned how to do this all from the forum and have probably saved myself thousands of dollars for these minor problems and have the satisfaction that knowing the job was done right.

Before doing anything on your car, if you think you have any problem, check on here first to see the fix before rushing into the stealership to get it "repaired". The forum members are not only more knowledgeable than many of the mechanics, but they are extremely helpful and friendly too. Hopefully I'll not have any more issues, but if I do, I know where to go first.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:49 AM
littleed
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The people on this forum are amazing I agree with you op. Oh and thanks to you guys for saving me so much money.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:58 AM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 278 Posts

One good thing about this forum that is different then the others is it is not so saturated with the "search police"

Ive been on club lexus for many years now and its just totally out of control there.

As soon as someone posts a thread that may or may not have been answered before you will get 5-10 guys replying with search remarks or posting links to google , it completely disrupts the flow of information.

Ive posted a few threads here that have probably been answered many times and for the most part people will just ignore and stay out of your thread and allow the few people whop want to help to chime in.

I hope it stays this way
Old 08-28-2015, 02:08 AM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastbird
This forum is great for information IF....

A. You have the capacity to accurately describe the problem and ask the right questions.

B. You don't drop an attitude when you don't get the answer you want.

And most importantly,

C. You follow up after the issue/problem/whatever you asked has been resolved with how you found an end to the question asked. This is the biggest fallacy I see is that people come in, get free info, then never report back and let everyone know what the fix was, which causes a great repetition of questions to get asked.

Other then this forum Its rare to see the vendors given such carte blanche to do as they please.

Recently I saw a vendor throwing it in a guys face that he pays good money for him to be here for free , and how he will have any threads speaking negatively about him closed down etc...

When I first joined here I made the mistake of thinking the vendors here had good prices and discounts for us members, so I ordered a few things from one without really checking around (my fault I know) , turns out the stuff I bought was priced like 20%-30% over other random places I found online , ebay, amazon etc...

He even told me they don't carry stock they have to order it in from a 3rd party , so basically they just overcharged me for stuff I could of got on my own , pretty ridiculous.

It wouldn't be tolerated on other forums is all im saying

Last edited by 1Willy1; 08-28-2015 at 02:11 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:19 AM
norcalace
Burning Brakes

Received 234 Likes on 137 Posts

Don't know about others but as for vendors it's sort of like the religious folks that canvas my neighborhood seemingly every other week, the more your're in my face pushing your product or service the less likely I am to patronize you. For the most part I think the overwhelming majority here knows how and where to find the products and services they need regardless of where the vendors post. If the vendor section was organized by type of part or service it seems it would make a lot more sense and be much more convenient to locate what and who you need. I find it just as annoying sifting through all the non-vendor posts in General and Tech forums to find a vendor as I do the converse of sifting through the vendor posts to find/read the non vendor posts. If I was a vendor I would think my product would be easier to find and better accepted in an organized section where forum users could easily find me and I wouldn't have to repeatedly bump 4 and 5 year old 10 page adds. I understand the Golden Rule applies here as well (he who has the gold makes the rules) and like others must accept the status quo in order to participate in the best Corvette related forum on the inter-web.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:19 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Funny, I didn't think this thread was about Vendors
Maybe someone should start a vendor flaming thread...
Old 08-28-2015, 09:33 AM
IH8FORD
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

I think your post is a little unfair. I am a head tech/corvette tech for a large chevy dealer and I take great pride in my work. The amount of people that bash dealerships are insane. Dont get me wrong there are plenty of bad dealers and bad techs. I am also sure if all of you sit down and think about what ever job you do there are good and bad people at that job also. All im saying is don't group all dealerships together. I do agree that researching your problem on this site is a great idea because there is a ton of great info on this site.

Get notified of new replies

To Please take a minute to read this... thanks

Old 08-28-2015, 10:57 AM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by IH8FORD
I think your post is a little unfair. I am a head tech/corvette tech for a large chevy dealer and I take great pride in my work. The amount of people that bash dealerships are insane. Dont get me wrong there are plenty of bad dealers and bad techs. I am also sure if all of you sit down and think about what ever job you do there are good and bad people at that job also. All im saying is don't group all dealerships together. I do agree that researching your problem on this site is a great idea because there is a ton of great info on this site.
I know there are some VERY good techs, and it would be nearly IMPOSSIBLE to keep up with all the NEW models and technology... let alone something on a 10 or 15 year old car... I'm not bashing dealerships or dealership techs.. I'm just saying the knowledge base here is FAR superior to ANY dealership or GM tech on the C5... and that's WHY if your having a problem you should COME to the forum an get the ammunition you need to go to battle with your C5... and if you can't do it yourself and need a GM tech to do your work... I hope to find one like you.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:07 PM
IH8FORD
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 73Corvette
I know there are some VERY good techs, and it would be nearly IMPOSSIBLE to keep up with all the NEW models and technology... let alone something on a 10 or 15 year old car... I'm not bashing dealerships or dealership techs.. I'm just saying the knowledge base here is FAR superior to ANY dealership or GM tech on the C5... and that's WHY if your having a problem you should COME to the forum an get the ammunition you need to go to battle with your C5... and if you can't do it yourself and need a GM tech to do your work... I hope to find one like you.
I know what your saying but you haft to see if from my side there is a **** ton of dealer and tech bashing on this site more so the c7 section. Its just hard to read every day when I take pride in what I do and I'm damn good at it. You are correct thou its only going to get harder and harder to find techs who know the C5. I have even found useful info on this site and its made me be able to diag some C5 problems even quicker.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:05 PM
The Chev
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by IH8FORD
I know what your saying but you haft to see if from my side there is a **** ton of dealer and tech bashing on this site more so the c7 section. Its just hard to read every day when I take pride in what I do and I'm damn good at it. You are correct thou its only going to get harder and harder to find techs who know the C5. I have even found useful info on this site and its made me be able to diag some C5 problems even quicker.
I'll just leave this here.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...get-hosed.html

IH8FORD, I have a question for you. Would you have been allowed to install the LMC5, or do you have some sort of requirement to follow the service manual even when you know it is wrong? ........or should I not ask those sorts of questions?

Quick Reply: Please take a minute to read this... thanks