Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Black wheel !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 01:23 AM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

OP, I like the way your car looks now...I love the contrast of black on silver!

Old 08-29-2015, 02:10 AM
99torchredlb
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Got mine last Christmas thanks Santa
Old 08-29-2015, 03:49 AM
littleed
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DSTURBD
They take away so much detail and like others have said, it just makes the wheel wells look like black holes where all detail and appearance just disappears. However, I do have to admit that it is not as bad on a white car due to the contrast. Just old enough to remember when black, steel wheels meant an unfinished, and lacking project. Kind of like a hot rod running around in full primer, which absorbs water and accelerates any rust going on and increases the chances that it never will be finished.

In all fairness, it's not my cup of tea and I really don't like them, but I was just giving the OP a hard time and yanking his chain for a little humor. Please don't take it personally. We are all entitled to like what we like and it's nobody else's business why we like what we like!!

Good luck with your new wheels and I truly hope that you like them just as much as you hoped when you ordered them. My guess is that they will be just what you wanted and you will enjoy the look like no one else can, 'cause it's your car!! Have fun and enjoy!!

DSTURBD

P.S. I know how upset I would be if someone told me I couldn't have what I wanted 'cause they didn't like it!!!!! Now why did Home Owner's Associations come to mind when I typed that sentence?!?!?!?

I hope I like them too. It's my first time buying black wheels for a car. I try to stay Suttle with appearance mods. So I hope these go with that mindset.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:23 AM
Shirl
Safety Car

Received 1,577 Likes on 664 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Looks good. A red pinstripe would probably look nice and go with the red calipers.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:50 AM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Originally Posted by Shirl
Looks good. A red pinstripe would probably look nice and go with the red calipers.
around the outside of the wheel ????? At one time I thought about a silver pinstripe but thought it would make it too busy ?????
Old 08-29-2015, 05:43 PM
Mr Russ
Instructor

Sorry, but I'm old and black wheels.....

SUCK!!!!!!

Signed, the real

DSTURBD

I'm just yankin' your chain, bro!!
I agree......

Old 08-29-2015, 07:48 PM
DSTURBD
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by Mr Russ
I agree......

Hey there Mr. Russ!

Nice ride!! Millennium Yellow was my first color choice, but I couldn't find the right one.

Also nice to see another Broncos fan, only the absolute best team in NFL football!!!

Thanks for the backup on the whole black wheels thing. I just chalk it up to youthful bliss of ignorance. Someday their nads will drop, they'll grow facial hair, and realize just how horrifically mistaken they were in their mis-spent youth! It's just a matter of time.

As soon as their nads drop, they will be biologically capable of growing good taste. It happens, tragically, very, very late for some!!

DSTURBD

Last edited by DSTURBD; 08-29-2015 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:02 PM
DSTURBD
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by littleed
I hope I like them too. It's my first time buying black wheels for a car. I try to stay Suttle with appearance mods. So I hope these go with that mindset.
Rock on dude, and I bet that you'll be quite happy with them!

It's always fun to make our cars look just a little different now and then. As a matter of fact, I just got done installing the full stainless steel screen set on my black coupe, Z06 fog screens, brake duct, side cove, and rear vents. I originally really didn't care for the fog screens, years ago, but they grew on me and I have spent the last week turning back to look at my car again even more than I do normally!!! It's really fun to have new **** on the car to enjoy!!!

Enjoy, man!!!

DSTURBD
Old 08-29-2015, 08:14 PM
DSTURBD
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In V Veteran

WOW!!! Those last two posts from me seem very diametrically opposed, don't they?!?!?

That's 'cause one was the truth, and one was just for humor.

Guess which was which!!

DSTURBD
Old 08-29-2015, 08:41 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

WOW!!! Those last two posts from me seem very diametrically opposed, don't they?!?!?

That's 'cause one was the truth, and one was just for humor.

Guess which was which!!

DSTURBD
Old 08-29-2015, 10:38 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mr Russ
I agree......

LOL, and those don't suck?

Last edited by MotoJB; 08-29-2015 at 10:43 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:42 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Hey there Mr. Russ!

Nice ride!! Millennium Yellow was my first color choice, but I couldn't find the right one.

Also nice to see another Broncos fan, only the absolute best team in NFL football!!!

Thanks for the backup on the whole black wheels thing. I just chalk it up to youthful bliss of ignorance. Someday their nads will drop, they'll grow facial hair, and realize just how horrifically mistaken they were in their mis-spent youth! It's just a matter of time.

As soon as their nads drop, they will be biologically capable of growing good taste. It happens, tragically, very, very late for some!!

DSTURBD
It's called different taste...i went back and forth. Some people like to try new things, you know, change things up. Personally, I'm just doing the black wheel thing for now. I can guarantee you it has nothing to do with a lack of facial hair or undeveloped nads...then again, when it comes to Bronco's fans...
Old 08-30-2015, 11:50 AM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

Can't find it, but some time back there was a photo on here of a silver coupe with black wheels, the "glass" top (which looks black) and the "B" pillars/"hoop" gloss black. Looked spectacular, IMO.

Choosing wheels for a silver car is not easy - too much chrome just does not look "right" to me. I ended up with painted ZR1 replicas. Still not sure if I did the right thing.........

Last edited by jackthelad; 09-02-2015 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:27 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jackthelad
Can't find it, but some time back there was a photo on here of a silver coupe with black wheels, the "glass" top (which looks black) and the "B" pillars/"hoop" gloss black. Looked spectacular, IMO.

Choosing wheels for a silver key is not easy - too much chrome just does not look "right" to me. I ended up with painted ZR1 replicas. Still not sure if I did the right thing.........
After seeing my car with the black wheels my body man wanted to do just that, paint the roof and the pillar black !!!! I thought about wrapping it with vinyl first ??????
Old 09-02-2015, 02:13 AM
Mr Russ
Instructor

Originally Posted by MotoJB
LOL, and those don't suck?
C-mon now moto, you know you drooled just a bit when you saw it.......jk,jk. You got a sweet ride along with others in this thread.
My main beef is with black wheels in general these days. Seems like every other car I see is doing it. Worst offenders is like the guy with the Camry that paints his hub caps black and calls it cool. It aint, its lame and its being done to death.

Guess I'm just an old school chrome guy, and THAT is never lame.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:48 AM
Sydwayz
Burning Brakes

Received 270 Likes on 198 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18

My break up of all black:

Old 09-04-2015, 01:31 PM
vettestream
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP, your finishing touches work really well and bring out the overall look much better IMO

-fellow black wheel owner (satin black centers, and gloss black lips)

Get notified of new replies

To The Black wheel !!!!

Old 09-04-2015, 04:52 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

OP, I clicked on this thread to rag you (your topic headline) but I gotta say; it looks great with your changes. I'm a big fan of black wheels, too, and the coolest I've seen are '09Z Spyders in gloss black, with red pinstripes around the bead.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:27 AM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by littleed
I'm old too but I'm waiting on my new black rims. There isn't many colors that go good on artic white. Plus the glass roof is black , it just makes sense not to have to many colors. Why the dislike of black wheels?
I'm old too (notice the Oldtimer tag) and I'll try to explain my dislike for black wheels. It basically stems from two sources. #1. When I was growing up and wanted SO badly to have mag wheels, I couldn't afford them. So what did I do to have a "hot rod" look? I painted the stock steel wheels black. (Think early NASCAR days) It was better than hubcaps but just barely. I could just barely afford baby moons. So black wheels just reminds me that I couldn't afford the real ones. #2. When I see black wheels that are actually real spoke wheels, I immediately think foreign as I believe thats where this fad originated. I did some quick research on black wheels and indeed it is the current "accepted" look. But not for me. I quote this from a site:
"Mark Etheridge, owner of the Moto Guzzi Classic motorcycle shop in Signal Hill, Calif., says he spray-painted the wheel covers on his new Ram 1500 pickup black. "I hate this chrome," he says. The painted redos "look like a $1,200 set of a wheels, and I have 12 bucks in it."
To me, it still looks like $12 cause that's about what it cost me back in the 60s to do the same thing and I hated the black. And that's what I think it looks like on other cars as well, about $12.
Lastly, there is zero chrome on a Vette except for the exhaust tips. A slight splash of chrome or magnesium or aluminum looks very good on it. However, I will fight anyone for your right to enjoy your Vette the way you want to. I expect the same. And I'll wave at you every time.

Last edited by CactusCat; 09-05-2015 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:33 PM
RueBurgundy
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by vettestream
OP, your finishing touches work really well and bring out the overall look much better IMO

-fellow black wheel owner (satin black centers, and gloss black lips)

Got any more pics of your car? I'd really like to see some.

Quick Reply: The Black wheel !!!!