Sponsored by:

Struggling to Start??.....Sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 07:01 PM
MikeMikeWmike
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Struggling to Start??.....Sometimes

So my 2000 has given me some starting problems intermittently. It will struggle to turn over then if it does it will idle at like 300, obviously an extremely rough idle. No response to throttle, then dies after a few seconds. But it has only done this to me three times over the last month. Other times it starts up and runs just fine! It's not throwing any codes?? Could this be a fuel pump relay perhaps?

Any other ideas? Anybody had and resolved this issue?!

Thanks!!
Old 08-28-2015, 07:51 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

not enough info, battery voltage would help ????
Old 08-28-2015, 07:59 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeMikeWmike
So my 2000 has given me some starting problems intermittently. It will struggle to turn over then if it does it will idle at like 300, obviously an extremely rough idle. No response to throttle, then dies after a few seconds. But it has only done this to me three times over the last month. Other times it starts up and runs just fine! It's not throwing any codes?? Could this be a fuel pump relay perhaps?

Any other ideas? Anybody had and resolved this issue?!

Thanks!!
Not turning over would have nothing to do with the fuel pump relay...
That would be starter solenoid, connection, or battery...

The other issue could be MAF, Leaks, fuel pump relay... you said it's not throwing codes... you did PULL the codes? You need to clear them and then pull them after you've driven a while, and BEFORE you shut the car off or they will be history codes...

Low battery voltage can cause ALL sorts of BAD things on a C5...
A fully charged battery should be 12.6v or more. You can't just go by the DIC voltage either you need to check it at the battery...

If the battery is

12.5 = 85% charged
12.4 = 65%
12.3 = 50%
12.2 = 35%
12.1 = drained
Old 08-28-2015, 08:26 PM
MikeMikeWmike
Racer

battery voltage is good. Just put a new battery in about 3 months ago. I did clear codes and checked after 2 days of driving (and after the problem happened).

I guess i should have clarified, it is cranking but not firing with the problem occasional (just keeps cranking) but the more likely problem is it starts and idles rough, dies. Then after a couple more restarts its fine.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:34 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

How old are the plugs and wires? I would at least pull a few plugs and look at their condition.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:23 PM
caroutisine
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2000 does the same thing but rarely actually dies after starting.
Had 2 mechanics tell me it's likely some kind of check valve that would involve pulling the fuel tank to replace. I just live with it. Hit it once and if it doesn't start up right away it usually does on the 2nd try. Kind of irritating but she's 15 years old and runs fine once started.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:42 AM
MikeMikeWmike
Racer

Originally Posted by caroutisine
My 2000 does the same thing but rarely actually dies after starting.
Had 2 mechanics tell me it's likely some kind of check valve that would involve pulling the fuel tank to replace. I just live with it. Hit it once and if it doesn't start up right away it usually does on the 2nd try. Kind of irritating but she's 15 years old and runs fine once started.
I hate those kind of problems!
Old 08-30-2015, 03:31 PM
ZZ06
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

If you think its fuel related, start doing some troubleshooting. Start by checking pressure at the rail. Should be at 58psi after fuel pump prime when you place the key to the "ON" position. When was the last time you did a simple tune up? Plugs, wires, air filter, FUEL FILTER, etc.

Get notified of new replies

To Struggling to Start??.....Sometimes

Quick Reply: Struggling to Start??.....Sometimes