C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Never Wash My Vette

Old 02-09-2016, 01:50 AM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Ideals are peaceful...History is violent...St.Charles, MO.
Received 439 Likes on 228 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
I've been on this forum for almost 15 years. I've offered many insider tips and tricks. Most become passionate and argumentative.,.. I've been detailing cars for over 55 years. I know what works for me, and also know what use to work for me until something better came along. I've been using the same product for the last 17 years. The finish on my 100,000 mile car is insane. No I don't do much in the way of maintenance on the finish.
for me its one word. Zaino.

Car looks great as always Bill. Can't argue your success with Zaino. It is a top-notch product, I can vouch for that.

Thanks for posting some photos, that just cements my wanting of those Breathless performance ducts.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:00 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by C5R USA
Car looks great as always Bill. Can't argue your success with Zaino. It is a top-notch product, I can vouch for that.

Thanks for posting some photos, that just cements my wanting of those Breathless performance ducts.
Thanks for the kind words....
I put those ducts in 14 years ago.... my first attempt at body work. When I did them it inspired a few dozen people to follow my lead. Its funny that over the last six months a new interest in those ducts have resurfaced.. I've received a large Private message interest in them recently again.

IM also an obvious photo *****. LOL.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:15 AM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Ideals are peaceful...History is violent...St.Charles, MO.
Received 439 Likes on 228 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

I put those ducts in 14 years ago.... my first attempt at body work. When I did them it inspired a few dozen people to follow my lead. Its funny that over the last six months a new interest in those ducts have resurfaced.. I've received a large Private message interest in them recently again.

Honestly Bill....The credentials, intimate knowledge and hands on expertise you have with the C5, I'd be proud of it to. Sometimes the "old ways" are best, like the ducts.

You like to take photos, more power to you my friend. The photos are definitely worth looking at.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:40 AM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts

I tried all that crap, didn't work...
Attached Images  
Old 02-09-2016, 08:20 AM
cvm
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RueBurgundy
I am a huge proponent of Meguiars Ultimate but do realize the stuff is packed, PACKED, with oil and fillers so what looks like a perfect finish might be anything but underneath. Personally I think fillers are a good thing, especially for older cars like ours, but to each their own. I'm gonna have to give ultimate detailer a try sometime.

Notice a difference between that and regular old "Gold Class"? Gold class has been my go-to for a DD for ages. Ult. was 2x the $ vs gold class at wally world sunday
Old 02-09-2016, 09:43 AM
NMYDNA
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I have done the same thing as the OP for a long time. But got the IBIZ this summer and seems to do a very good job. A bit pricey, but I like it. As you can see has Corvette's on everything.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:09 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

The finish on my 100,000 mile car is insane. No I don't do much in the way of maintenance on the finish.
for me its one word. Zaino.

I could not agree more ET.

I used to use Liquid Glass, and moving to Zaino products was a night and day improvement. Nothing else will touch my car as long as I own it. Its great for your average home do-it-yourselfer.

I first tried it on my old 01 Dakota R/T back in 2004. My wife is not a car person, but the next morning when I pulled my truck out of the garage she commented that the red just popped like she had never seen it before. I thought the same. It literally made it a shade brighter red.

Toque
Old 02-09-2016, 12:56 PM
zdeckich
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 231 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year

You still have the Dak R/T Mark? I had a 99 R/T but silver. Loved that truck. Wish I still had it lol.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:37 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by zdeckich
You still have the Dak R/T Mark? I had a 99 R/T but silver. Loved that truck. Wish I still had it lol.
I kick myself in the butt daily for selling that truck. I sooo wish I still had it. I would have done some fun things to it for sure. Very capable 360ci with a 390 stock rear end. That thing got up and went pretty good.

Toque
Old 02-09-2016, 01:53 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by Toque
I could not agree more ET.

I used to use Liquid Glass, and moving to Zaino products was a night and day improvement. Nothing else will touch my car as long as I own it. Its great for your average home do-it-yourselfer.

I first tried it on my old 01 Dakota R/T back in 2004. My wife is not a car person, but the next morning when I pulled my truck out of the garage she commented that the red just popped like she had never seen it before. I thought the same. It literally made it a shade brighter red.

Toque
I use to use liquid glass Too. It chalks, and its gets dust everywhere. Ive used a lot of products over the years. Back in the 50's, we use to use Simonize floor wax, in a Green can,( it would last for years it was a solid wax. We used tampex pads and cheese cloth back then . We went to a shady park, and under some trees, on a Saturday morning we would spend four hours, listening to Music, and waxing our rides. WE would also be changing points, plugs and condensers every month, and tuning our cars.

I've learned so many tricks over the years, and this Zaino stuff is the real deal. One of the best tricks I've learned over the years, is to use a dryer for my take off cotton towels, right before I wax my car. The warm towels are soft and moisture free. Very important to have dry towels as to not cause reactivation and smears of the product. Cotton absorbs moisture in the summer, and moisture in a take off towel is a no no. ( one of the easiest ways to tell if your towel has moisture is by putting it up to your cheek The one your face, ( not the other place ) at room temperature, and if it feels colder than the air temp, it has absorbed moisture.

I can do my entire car in under an hour using Zaino. It goes on easy. ( one or two drops per panel ), a light massage into the surface ( front to rear strokes ), and then move on to the next panel. Once the next panel is coated, I go back to the first panel and with a warm dry towel remove and buff the first panel. Easy , peasy.

The results speak for themself. Personally, I would never drag a California duster, filled with wax and silica ( sand ) across my finish, no mater how lightly. If you are dragging it, you are dragging sand across your finish. It's what I do.

My way works for me, and obviously lots of strangers who stop me daily seem to think so as well. This does not however, mean or imply that anyone else's method is inferior.

Mark, we must have a lot of OCD ( DNA ) in our character. You can easily see those of us afflicted with this disease, on this forum.
Bill aka ET

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 02-09-2016 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:36 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Come on Dr. Evil you don't fool me, we know your connection with GM you most likely have some top secret aerospace special paint good for going to Mars and back !!!
Old 02-09-2016, 03:45 PM
Fast Cop
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

Have been using Zaino for the past 10 years. Made my red C4 vert shine like a mirror, made my C5 MY vert smooth as a babies A** and now my black C5Z06 looks like glass.

Last edited by Fast Cop; 02-09-2016 at 03:45 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:09 PM
James2000
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by o2bnkc
We have something in common. I've never washed your car, either.
Haha..... I caught that......
Old 02-09-2016, 04:15 PM
James2000
Instructor

See what I mean? Chadwick's now zaino........ Detailing is like being a drug addict looking for the bigger better high....... IDK, when does it end? I watched some videos on Chadwick's, it looks quicker and easier than my method and at this point being a non-garaged daily driver, speed and ease is important and I'm getting too old for this..... Well, on the bright side I have a good amount of wax so I have some time to decide.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:24 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,634 Posts

Originally Posted by James2000
See what I mean? Chadwick's now zaino........ Detailing is like being a drug addict looking for the bigger better high....... IDK, when does it end? I watched some videos on Chadwick's, it looks quicker and easier than my method and at this point being a non-garaged daily driver, speed and ease is important and I'm getting too old for this..... Well, on the bright side I have a good amount of wax so I have some time to decide.
Toque talked about using Zanio on his truck and made the color deeper, I did the same on my 03 GMC with Chadwick's and I swear it looked three shades darker. I wished I would have taken a before pic ????? I am of the opinion that you can't go wrong with ether product. I will stick with Chadwick's because I love the ease of use and the tire stuff is out of this world. Both have many uses !!!!!! (I Chadwicked my 55 TV and have not dusted it in 5 months)
Old 02-09-2016, 04:37 PM
James2000
Instructor

Those ducts look awesome, but that's one thing I can't do, bodywork. When it comes to smoothing, it is never perfect. People can look at it and tell me it looks perfect, but I just don't know when to stop. I can make and do almost anything for cars and motorcycles. I have full access to my buddies machine shop, but I draw the line when it comes to bondo, I know when to draw the line with my skills.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:47 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

I use to use liquid glass Too. It chalks, and its gets dust everywhere.
Exactly right. I used to have to go back over the entire car, and open up all the doors, hood, trunk just to get all the chalk stuff out from the crevices. Let alone it was more difficult to remove.

I've learned so many tricks over the years, and this Zaino stuff is the real deal. One of the best tricks I've learned over the years, is to use a dryer for my take off cotton towels, right before I wax my car. The warm towels are soft and moisture free. Very important to have dry towels as to not cause reactivation and smears of the product. Cotton absorbs moisture in the summer, and moisture in a take off towel is a no no. ( one of the easiest ways to tell if your towel has moisture is by putting it up to your cheek The one your face, ( not the other place ) at room temperature, and if it feels colder than the air temp, it has absorbed moisture.
Exactly what I do too. Nice warm towel fresh from the drier...

I can do my entire car in under an hour using Zaino.
I put a coat on one evening, and let it sit till the next evening.
I like to space out the fun....

Mark, we must have a lot of OCD ( DNA ) in our character. You can easily see those of us afflicted with this disease, on this forum.
Bill aka ET
Very true.... My friends and co-workers know how OCD I am about everything I do. You should see my engineering workplace.. I work in the Semiconductor industry (making computer chips) where precision is an absolute. A thousand of an inch makes the difference between passing and failing. I find it funny when my friends make fun of me for adjusting my ride height to within a 1/16 of an inch all around. I can pick it out a mile away though... Sometimes its a curse though because I nit-pick sooo much.

Toque

Get notified of new replies

To I Never Wash My Vette

Old 02-09-2016, 04:48 PM
James2000
Instructor

Originally Posted by akapounder
Toque talked about using Zanio on his truck and made the color deeper, I did the same on my 03 GMC with Chadwick's and I swear it looked three shades darker. I wished I would have taken a before pic ????? I am of the opinion that you can't go wrong with ether product. I will stick with Chadwick's because I love the ease of use and the tire stuff is out of this world. Both have many uses !!!!!! (I Chadwicked my 55 TV and have not dusted it in 5 months)
I am leaning towards Chadwick's, I have enough wax till May or June. Easier is the key word that's selling me. It's strange to me that u don't have to strip the old wax off or anything? How does it work on the rims, does it repel brake dust at all?
Old 02-09-2016, 04:51 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by zdeckich
I miss my truck....
Back in the early 2000's I used to walk away from new 5.0's.
It was a lot of fun... Surprised the heck out of a lot of folks.

No one makes a cool little truck with a big V8 anymore.... it sucks...

Last edited by Toque; 02-09-2016 at 04:52 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:00 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

One bottle of Zaino, last me 9 full applications and it cost 13 dollars. Good for a year and a half. I also invest 8 hours twice a year a total of 16 hours to detail four wheels, tires, wheel wells, rotors, and calipers.( 2 hours a corner, twice a year. )

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I Never Wash My Vette