Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accessory function

Old 08-30-2015, 02:28 PM
sargeter
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Accessory function

I have an '02 C5. When I turn my key to "accessory", should the radio play? I have to turn it to "on" for the radio to play. Is it this way from the factory or has someone rewired it? Having it "on", the dash lights and gauges are on, too, and it's quite a drain on the battery. I'd like to listen to the radio without everything else coming on or having to start it up.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:35 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

The radio should play in "acc". Is it stock or aftermarket?

Do the wipers and heater fan work in "acc" on yours?

Last edited by 65GGvert; 08-30-2015 at 02:43 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:11 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,207 Likes on 13,924 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Yes, the radio should come on in the ACC position.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:18 PM
sargeter
Advanced

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
The radio should play in "acc". Is it stock or aftermarket?

It had an aftermarket radio/CD when I bought it. Wipers and windows, work on "acc", just the radio won't.
I guess he wired to just come on when running.
Thanks for the input. Now I know. I'm thinking about putting an auxiliary battery in the trunk to use for stereo and cigarette light sockets to use USB in lighter socket.

Last edited by sargeter; 08-30-2015 at 03:34 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 09-01-2015, 02:45 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,217 Likes on 2,301 Posts

Someone may have moved the constant 12v (for memory and time) to the switched wire to save battery life when sitting for a period of time.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:03 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by sargeter
It had an aftermarket radio/CD when I bought it. Wipers and windows, work on "acc", just the radio won't.
I guess he wired to just come on when running.
Thanks for the input. Now I know. I'm thinking about putting an auxiliary battery in the trunk to use for stereo and cigarette light sockets to use USB in lighter socket.
Are you installing a 10000 WATT stereo?
Old 09-01-2015, 03:21 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
That one sounded odd enough that I had to go out and try it: radio yes, wipers yes, heater no. That's on a 2004 with auto A/C...the A/C lights come on but the display/fan doesn't. I guess it vaguely makes sense for the wipers to work in ACC, but I wouldn't have been all that surprised if they didn't.

The RAP function is an odd beast. I went out there half expecting that the radio would not turn on in ACC. It will stay on in ACC, or even OFF (until the key is removed or it times out), but I thought it might require cycling through ON to initialize.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:48 PM
sargeter
Advanced

Default stereo

Originally Posted by 73Corvette
Are you installing a 10000 WATT stereo?
No. Not a big stereo. I just like to sit and listen if I'm in the park or if my wife is inside shopping, I'll sit in the car and listen to music. I have one of those little USB things I can plug in the lighter, too, so I can use USB stuff. I always worry if I'm going to run the battery down too much so I'll start it up every so often. Then there is the wasting gas and the loud mufflers and getting hot while sitting still trying to listen to music.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:54 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by sargeter
No. Not a big stereo. I just like to sit and listen if I'm in the park or if my wife is inside shopping, I'll sit in the car and listen to music. I have one of those little USB things I can plug in the lighter, too, so I can use USB stuff. I always worry if I'm going to run the battery down too much so I'll start it up every so often. Then there is the wasting gas and the loud mufflers and getting hot while sitting still trying to listen to music.
Amp and sub? You might just consider a Yellow top Opitma Battery... should last for several hours of trouble free listening... unless your running an Amp and sub... still should play for a LONG time at lower volumes....Like you I usually don't go into Belks when the miss shops... and I set and listen to the radio, never have given it a second thought on running down the battery...NO amp or sub though...

Last edited by 73Corvette; 09-01-2015 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:12 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 534 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
That one sounded odd enough that I had to go out and try it: radio yes, wipers yes, heater no. That's on a 2004 with auto A/C...the A/C lights come on but the display/fan doesn't. I guess it vaguely makes sense for the wipers to work in ACC, but I wouldn't have been all that surprised if they didn't.

The RAP function is an odd beast. I went out there half expecting that the radio would not turn on in ACC. It will stay on in ACC, or even OFF (until the key is removed or it times out), but I thought it might require cycling through ON to initialize.
Re wipers, I think pretty much all cars are set up this way. It's for us husbands waiting for our wives, sitting in a parking lot listening to the radio, then a beautiful woman walks by... Really, it is!
Old 09-01-2015, 07:20 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
At one time there was a device sold that could allow aftermarket audio systems to take advantage of RAP because the device could receive BCM signals and power ON or OFF the after market device based on RAP.

I have not seen that device sold in many years. I have one on my Ipod player interface system (Drive + Play by Harmon Kardon) and it works well.
Still available: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120SVI2...Interface.html
I've had it in my car with a Kenwood MP3 receiver for two years now, works great.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:36 PM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
That is not the one I used but it sounds like it performs the same function at a bit more $$ than I recall paying.......
Ah, I see what you mean about the price. They discount it heavily (like half) if you buy it with a head unit rather than by itself.
It also has the level-shifting function so it plays nice with the Bose amp/processor.

Get notified of new replies

To Accessory function

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Accessory function