Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with intermittent power up issue on C5

Old 09-05-2015, 06:37 PM
SoAlVette
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Help with intermittent power up issue on C5

I posted this over in the audio forum, but if you are like me, you start here every time, I rarely look around in the audio forum. Hopefully someone here has experienced the same issues as me and can help.

Here is my issue:

I recently purchased and installed in my 2000 C5 vert an Alpine CDE-153BT receiver from Crutchfield along with the Metra Corvette-Bose XSVI-2004 Bose Interface for 97-Up. The issue I am having is with the interface(I think). Sometimes it powers right up, within 5 seconds, when I turn on the key. Sometimes it takes up to 30 seconds to power up. I contacted Crutchfield, and they gave me this reset procedure for the Metra:

ACC power won't turn on, off or no audio? With the battery connected, remove the XSVI (or just disconnect from the car at the radio harness). Turn the car off, open the door to kill R.A.P., then shut the door and let the car go to sleep. Plug the radio/XSVI back in, and the accessory output should go low. Then turn on the car and wait about 30 seconds for the XSVI to find the car.

Not sure what "the accessory output should go low" means.

Anyway, I tried this and was still having the same issues, so Crutchfield sent me a replacement Metra. I am having the same issues with the new one. Sometimes it comes right on. Sometimes 10 - 15 second delay, a couple of times it has had an almost 30 second delay.

If I turn the stereo off manually, shut the car off, then turn the car on, and turn the stereo on manually, it comes right on. So the problem seems R.A.P. related.

Anyone had issues like this before? Very frustrating.

It will always come on, just have to sit there and wait on it sometimes.

By the way, the stereo never loses it's memory.

Can the R.A.P. be bypassed. What would be the issues there?

I also have Sirius hooked up to it and my stock AM/FM automatic antenna, both work fine.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:42 PM
SoAlVette
Racer

Good explanation. I do not want it hot all the time. Maybe there is another interface available, more research needed.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:45 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Here is how you can get ignition ACC and ON power easily. Use the fuse 11 feed from the I/P fuse box. You can use the GM wire or put in a fuse adapter at the fuse. Just make sure you don't pull more than 20 amps. If just powering the radio you will be fine.

1997-2003

In the passenger foot well there should be 3 auxiliary power wires.

Orange wire taped off. Always powered from Fuse #7 (20 Amp). This Fuse is shared with the cigarette lighter.

Orange wire to a connector. Always powered from Fuse #1 (20 Amp). Fuse is shared with the accessory power port in the center console.

Yellow wire taped off. Powered from ignition switch when in "ACC or On". Powered from Fuse #11 (20 Amp). Not shared with anything.

Here is a link with more info and pictures:

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...ad.php?t=14632

Mr. Sam
Old 09-06-2015, 06:30 PM
SoAlVette
Racer

Thanks Mr. Sam,
That is what I am looking for. If I go directly to a switched fuse, then I don't have to worry about interfacing with the GM RAP.

So if I run my hot wire from the RAP interface to fuse 11, bypassing the RAP interface, that should do the trick, is that right?

If the fuse is only hot when the ignition is in the acc or on position, what happens when I turn the car off, do I lose all of my settings and presets?

Crutchfield tech told me to find a switched fuse and run the red wire in their harness to it. Should take care of my issue.

Last edited by SoAlVette; 09-06-2015 at 06:39 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:22 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by SoAlVette
Thanks Mr. Sam,
That is what I am looking for. If I go directly to a switched fuse, then I don't have to worry about interfacing with the GM RAP. I agree

So if I run my hot wire from the RAP interface to fuse 11, bypassing the RAP interface, that should do the trick, is that right? Yes, it should

If the fuse is only hot when the ignition is in the acc or on position, what happens when I turn the car off, do I lose all of my settings and presets? You may unless the presets have a battery or there is a separate feed to an ALWAYS HOT source. If the radio has that separate feed then you can use one of the other sources I identified

Crutchfield tech told me to find a switched fuse and run the red wire in their harness to it. Should take care of my issue.
Hope that helps.

Mr. Sam

Get notified of new replies

To Help with intermittent power up issue on C5

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with intermittent power up issue on C5