Sponsored by:

Traction Control Operation

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 03:45 PM
loboslanding
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traction Control Operation

I hate to be a dummy, but I recently bought a C5 and have read the manual over and over and can't figure out what the traction control button on the console does. I'm sure this has been discussed many times and I've researched on here and only found some discussion about C6s that have four positions. My manual says press the button once to disengage the TC and then hold it for more than 5 seconds to switch to competitive mode.
Does TC make it regular independent rear wheel drive and does TC off make it posi-traction? I understand a little more about the competitive mode, but the owners manual is very confusing.
Can someone guide me to a thread that describes each of these functions? Sorry for being repetitive.
lobo
Old 09-07-2015, 03:58 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

First thing I always do is turn it off... Deleted the CAGS too, don't need the car to tell me when I can shift or not.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/030...ction-control/
Old 09-07-2015, 06:46 PM
allred
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The way I understand it..............

Active Handling is an on-board computer system that kicks in if/when your vehicle steps out of predetermined directional boundaries that indicate you may be loosing control of the vehicle. It attempts to control this by apply/releasing brakes as necessary.

Traction Control system limits wheel spin under acceleration or slippery surfaces. It does this by automatically controlling the rear brakes, and/or reducing engine power.

In normal driving mode both of these features are fully functional.

If you press the button on the console once, it turns both of these features off.

If you press and hold the button on the console for 5-8 seconds it disables just the traction control feature. (if your wheels spin the computer doesn't interfere, but you still have posi-traction or limited slip differential, or whatever you want to call the rear differential mechanical feature).

Old 09-07-2015, 07:32 PM
torchredmadness
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

When we first bought our car 4 years ago I thought there was a performance issue with the car. the first few times I would accelerate hard from a rolling start and hit second gear I thought the motor was bogging down. I finally realized it was TC doing what it was supposed to do. Now I just leave it on all the time. Anybody that knows posi traction knows that overy quickly.nce both tires are broken loose things can get out of hand in a hurry unless you are very experienced at this type of driving. I think it's a great feature for everyday driving. Has proven to be very helpful in wet conditions too. I you want to do a standing still burn out shut it off, do your thing and then turn it back on. If not be very careful when you grab second gear. Things can get out of hand
Old 09-07-2015, 07:43 PM
stu12dozen
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 73Corvette
First thing I always do is turn it off... Deleted the CAGS too, don't need the car to tell me when I can shift or not.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/030...ction-control/
Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. Traction control is a safety feature and I would never suggest or imply to anyone that it should be turned off.

On the track is one thing (traction control off), but on the street is something else. I've read too many instances of people turning off the traction control, only to end up in a ditch or worse after going sideways.

If the Traction Control button was red, then I am quite sure the owner's manual would state, "DO NOT PRESS THE RED BUTTON"!
Old 09-07-2015, 07:55 PM
jdvann
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 253 Posts

Have you seen this video I uploaded to YouTube? Talks about some of the sophisticated features...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62TW...ature=youtu.be
Old 09-07-2015, 08:37 PM
loboslanding
Intermediate

Thanks guys, you've explained it perfectly and concisely. I started watching the youtube vid and will finish it later. This is my 4th Vette (which only has 34k miles on it), but none with this kind of technology so I guess I was still stuck in the ice age at 61. I've built a lot of street rods, but it was definitely old school until I bought this car.
Thanks again.lobo

Last edited by loboslanding; 09-07-2015 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:13 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

The STREET is definitely NOT the place to push the limits on your C5... whether you have the TC/AH on or NOT. Drive your car somewhere that's safe to learn to drive it and have fun, but, be safe.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:22 PM
loboslanding
Intermediate

Thanks again. I'm too old and injured from too many car and bike accidents for street or track racing, but I bought a Vette for performance and wanted to know "what not to do".
Old 09-07-2015, 10:22 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by stu12dozen
Sorry, but I respectfully disagree. Traction control is a safety feature and I would never suggest or imply to anyone that it should be turned off.

On the track is one thing (traction control off), but on the street is something else. I've read too many instances of people turning off the traction control, only to end up in a ditch or worse after going sideways.

If the Traction Control button was red, then I am quite sure the owner's manual would state, "DO NOT PRESS THE RED BUTTON"!
Drivers have been driving their cars without TC/AH for years... many of them performance cars... I've never seen a warning of any kind in our car about turning off the TC/AH function... so, I guess if it was that big of a safety CONCERN GM should have put a disclaimer on the dang button or NOT even given you the option to turn it off...
I totally agree if you can't drive your car then leave it on... but most of the videos and accident I've seen or heard of are mostly driver error made by being stupid, careless, and irresponsible owners that have NO CLUE how to drive their car! So I guess we kind of agree respectfullly... that if your not equipped or qualified to drive your car without the babysitter button ON then don't turn it OFF.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:55 PM
scarecrowkc5
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I know if you turn it off and floor it, hang on.

I do it a few times a week.

Get notified of new replies

To Traction Control Operation

Quick Reply: Traction Control Operation