Sponsored by:

Buying C5 Country with no dealership service

Old 09-23-2015, 07:20 PM
Dr.Velasco
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying C5 Country with no dealership service

Hey guys, my first post on the forum.

I've been reading tons of info, facts about the cars, common issues, part costs, vin decoding, etc. So that I don't create a repost.

Anyway, I live in Lima, Peru and I'm about to buy a C5.

To put things in perspective, in Peru there are about 7 C5, one of them being a Z06. We have more Aston Martins than C5s! All of them were imported by private hands (some salvaged from the states). In 1999 a gentleman imported 3 brand new C5, 1 A4 coupe, 1 M6 vert and a M6 coupe, along with a convertible Mustang Cobra, Viper Rt/10 and other toys. Anyway, this gentleman got killed in an accident, a truck smashed his S500, all the cars were almost new and were put on sale right there.

The C5 I'm after was one of the cars that this guy imported. Its a 1999 M6, has around 41,00 miles and looks pretty decent.

I'm buying from the second owner (almost one owner since he bought it with less than 1000miles). He is selling it since he bought a german sport car. The car looks good overall, no accidents, no modifications, etc.

I asked him about the colum lock, said he didn't know what I was talking about, that the car didn't had any problem. That's a bit strange, being a big issue on these cars. So the idea that the owner didn't really know much about his car started to fly around my head.

Reading the forum I came across a few posts mentioning how important is dealer support for these cars. This raised a red flag for me.

Chevrolet never imported any generation Corvette (although during the 1990's about half a dozen Camaros were sold, maybe some LS1 came but that importer went bankrupt and Chevrolet now operates through another importer). So if I take for service or any issue the C5 to a dealer they are going to be lost, I'll bet they wouldn't even know what it is. Most Chevys sold are Captivas, Sail, "chevy taxi", and thats about it.

In Lima there are very competent workshops, servicing Porsches, McLaren, etc. So basic/medium and maybe complicated stuff will be ok.

So my question (finally) is how important es dealer support?

I can service my car and have routine maintenance done without a problem, but what happens if the BCM dies for example?

I buy a new one online, import it (as I will do with most of my parts), and who will program it? Or at that point I'm lost and have to buy a Haltech or something like that? Or I'm completley lost and have a very nice paperweight?

Parts supply wont be a problem, instalation won't be a problem (labor is cheap, at least compared to you guys), but for things like codes, recalls, factory related stuff I will be hand tied.

My plan for the car is to leave it stock, probably change mufflers for more sound, buy a space saver tire and make road trips. Maybe one or two trackdays a year. No drifting, drag racing, hard core track time. It will be more of a weekend car punched to red line almost every time its used.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advanced.

Javier
Old 09-23-2015, 07:54 PM
The Rabbi
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 333 Likes on 236 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '14,'18

The C5 is a great car and requires little maintenance. it sounds like you won't have any problem with repairs, most are instructed on this forum with pictures.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:03 PM
Velocity_Vette
Drifting

Received 352 Likes on 294 Posts

C5s are pretty old - at least they're getting up there in age as they're now two generations behind the current generation Corvette. You will find that a good deal of owners in the US who know the ins and outs of the car they themselves do not utilize GM dealer network as the various forums are invaluable tools.

If the car was exported to Peru fairly early in it's life then it likely did not receive recall work at a GM dealer. The absolute easiest way to tell if a recall has been done on a C5 for column lock is literally if the column still locks. If when sitting in the car with it off and no key in the ignition turn the wheel. If it freely moves, column lock recall is done. If it locks up, still has the old lock plate. This will not tell you if a bypass has been installed however. If you're overly concerned about the column lock issues and are unaware if a bypass has been installed simply buy one. You can purchase one, like the LMC5, for under $50 USD which is very reasonable. If the column on the car you're looking at still locks up simply purchase a 12V unlock-er (included with most column lock bypasses [CLBs]).

C5s are pretty reliable, and there's not a whole lot that cannot be serviced with common hand tools although access to a lift helps with some of the bigger jobs. I would think the biggest issue you're probably going to have is shipping costs. You will find that most of the parts you will source in ownership will likely come from Corvette vendors, not the GM dealer network.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:35 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,207 Likes on 13,924 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

If you have some shops there with competent mechanics, chances are they can fix most things as long as they have a copy of the factory service manual. There are several things that are no longer manufactured by GM for the 1997-2000 cars and no aftermarket source has been identified - the steering wheel position sensor and the EBCM. If those go out, you may have a problem.

As far as the column lock and the second owner not knowing about it, that would not surprise me if the owner had no problems and did not frequent a forum like this. As earlier mentioned, just get an LMC5 from Compliance Parts and not worry about it again.

And also, welcome to the forum and good luck with your purchase.

Get notified of new replies

To Buying C5 Country with no dealership service

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying C5 Country with no dealership service