Sponsored by:

Raised my Rear

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 11:55 AM
jd911
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Raised my Rear

My 99 Vert has the F45 adjustable suspension. The previous owner used the car for auto shows and had lowered the car fully on the stock bolts.

It gave the car a decided tail down look, that actually looks good on the Vette, but it resulted in, much bottoming out of the rear suspension on the larger dips and bumps which populate the rural roads in my area. I had switched to performance setting, to avoid the bottoming out, but it resulted in a very solid ride and the big dips would make me grunt and hurt my back, when I hit them.

Anyway, I decided to try raising the rear, to see if it might improve the ride. I put the rear up on jack stands. I removed the rear wheels, so I could sit next to the car and make the adjustments, without having to crawl under. I found the stock bolts still in the car, and I had plenty of thread left. I "tightened" (looking from below) the adjusting bolts, 3 and 1/2 turns, resulting in raising the rear about 1 inch maybe just a bit less.

I had checked the camber with eyeballing to a framing square on my garage floor. If anything it looked a little better after the adjustment, less out at the bottom. But that was with the car empty of passengers. I'll have to keep an eye on tire wear and possibly get an alignment in the future.

The difference in the ride was night and day. Much more comfortable ride over bumps on the rear suspension. I was actually looking for bumps to try out. I did not see any handling issues at all.

For now, I think I'll "put a pin in it".

Jim
Old 09-26-2015, 07:19 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Not a bad thing to have a more comfortable ride. I'd actually like to lower mine a bit, but I'd scrape the front end every time I pull into my driveway.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:57 PM
jdvann
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by jd911
My 99 Vert has the F45 adjustable suspension. The previous owner used the car for auto shows and had lowered the car fully on the stock bolts.

Anyway, I decided to try raising the rear, to see if it might improve the ride. I put the rear up on jack stands. I removed the rear wheels, so I could sit next to the car and make the adjustments, without having to crawl under. I found the stock bolts still in the car, and I had plenty of thread left. I "tightened" (looking from below) the adjusting bolts, 3 and 1/2 turns, resulting in raising the rear about 1 inch maybe just a bit less.

The difference in the ride was night and day.

Jim
Same here...I raised mine about 3/4". Love the ride now as well as the look.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:10 AM
REDHOTS
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Raising mine back up too, despite the look. Took it on a 100 mile country road trip yesterday, with a full tank, and a passenger. Too many times I could feel the rear rebounding off the bump stops on dips in the road. Needs more compression travel for sure. Very bad for handling, when no travel left, especially in a curve! Does anyone know the total wheel travel in the rear?

Get notified of new replies

To Raised my Rear

Quick Reply: Raised my Rear