Sponsored by:

Time to trade in the Z06...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 06:52 PM
tcrote5516
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jhopper408
I can't believe that anyone would even waist there money on a Cavalier.
Really? That you can't believe? Ready for a mind blow...more people "waste" (btw that is how you spell it correctly) on a Cavalier than a Corvette.

There's an *** for evey seat my friend and in the world of cars you can do a lot worse than a Cavalier. Not saying they're anything special but I had a blast blowing the doors off little Civic's in my Z24 back when that was all I could afford.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:53 PM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Received 751 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by tcrote5516
Really? That you can't believe? Ready for a mind blow...more people "waste" (btw that is how you spell it correctly) on a Cavalier than a Corvette.

There's an *** for evey seat my friend and in the world of cars you can do a lot worse than a Cavalier. Not saying they're anything special but I had a blast blowing the doors off little Civic's in my Z24 back when that was all I could afford.
I don't know.. The cavalier is down there with neon/aveo/geo. Glad you liked yours, but I can't imagine why anyone would choose a cavalier when a civic/accord could be had for the same price.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:49 AM
AngelSpeedFreak
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dbgoodwin
I don't know.. The cavalier is down there with neon/aveo/geo. Glad you liked yours, but I can't imagine why anyone would choose a cavalier when a civic/accord could be had for the same price.
I owned both a 97 cavalier and a 97 civic... Hands down the Cavalier was the better car. But that will always be in the eyes of the beholder. When you bring different manufactures into the mix it goes right back to the Ford vs Chevy debates. Neither are the all definitive winner.

Just coming from personal experience, the cavalier (z24 model anyway) is a pretty decent car for the cost.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:52 AM
Black 02
Safety Car

Received 427 Likes on 316 Posts

I think the best part of it is his claimed power and torque numbers. He claims at 5000rpms he made 200whp, and 400 foot pounds of torque.
Obviously a diesel conversion, duh
Old 10-06-2015, 11:50 AM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

I guess the z24 package must be exponentially better than the base, because on more than 1 occasion I've asked a complete stranger for a ride to avoid having to sit in my best friends base cavalier.

My ex girlfriend had one too, we would drive separately if she wanted her car to go.

Maybe I'm just a car snob.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:49 AM
bad455ta
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You guys need a room! Please don't admit that you had a modded Cavalier on this forum and especially dont post a pic of it and say it was "fast". You had a nice sound system, that's what you had. You drive a Vette now, you are accepted into the real muscle car world, please dont mess it up. SMH...
Old 10-09-2015, 09:09 AM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bad455ta
You guys need a room! Please don't admit that you had a modded Cavalier on this forum and especially dont post a pic of it and say it was "fast". You had a nice sound system, that's what you had. You drive a Vette now, you are accepted into the real muscle car world, please dont mess it up. SMH...
Hahahah I'm actually with you there. If you claim the cavalier is better than any honda ever, you're just trying to justify your mistake. Chevy has never been able to make a decent small car, even still everything smaller than the Cruze is garbage.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:31 AM
Lazarus Long
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

My only experience with a cavalier was with an early 90s model I had as a loaner when my lumina was getting fixed. GMs V8s are among the best there is, but their smaller engines are crap. The cavalier I drove is old now, but a friend's much newer 4-banger was still a POS. extremely rough and noisey. Sounds like it is full of gravel compared to the new Toyota Corolla rental I had while my Tahoe was getting fixed. I'll never buy another GM vehicle if it doesn't have a V8.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:40 AM
dbgoodwin
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Lazarus Long
My only experience with a cavalier was with an early 90s model I had as a loaner when my lumina was getting fixed. GMs V8s are among the best there is, but their smaller engines are crap. The cavalier I drove is old now, but a friend's much newer 4-banger was still a POS. extremely rough and noisey. Sounds like it is full of gravel compared to the new Toyota Corolla rental I had while my Tahoe was getting fixed. I'll never buy another GM vehicle if it doesn't have a V8.
GM has always only been able to do v8's. The only exception to this is the gnx or whatever with the turbo 6 that may have been decent.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:15 PM
Vettelover1990
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

What a poor idiot that thinks his Cavalier compares...
Old 10-09-2015, 10:33 PM
tcrote5516
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bad455ta
Too late chief I already did but next time I'll be sure to get your permission

Get over yourself and your real muscle car world BS. You have a plastic chevy worth less than most 2015 econoboxes and are boasting about it. Relax. I had fun with my Cavalier when I was 18 years old as most guys that were real car guys did with whatever they drove at that age. Sorry to suck the wind out of your sails but your getting uptight over a car that cost less than my Kubota tractor.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:13 AM
Cliff8928
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Obviously this guy was a troll. But there are some darn fast Cavaliers out there. At the end of the day it's still a Cavalier however.

As long as we're going into the cars of our past, this is my modified '89 Beretta that I had since just after I got out of high school. Notice the C5 mags on it (that keeps it on topic, right?). It was one of my most fun cars to drive.
Attached Images  
Old 10-10-2015, 01:25 AM
Lee DeRaud
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

You young'uns today don't know how good you have it: my first new car was a '72 Vega.
And it was lightyears better than the '63 Corvair it replaced.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:33 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

Hahahah I'm actually with you there. If you claim the cavalier is better than any honda ever, you're just trying to justify your mistake. Chevy has never been able to make a decent small car, even still everything smaller than the Cruze is garbage.
Obviously you haven't ridden in a Chevy small car in a long while. I have a Chevy Sonic LTZ as a second vehicle for backup and bad weather. It has a 4cyl DOHC engine with a turbo and VVT, 6 speed auto with tiptronic type feature, 4 whl discs,etc. It is also equipped with many upscale features for the price including touch screen sat radio with backup screen, nav, bluetooth, usb, leather and suede interior, and a lot more and nicer features than my Vette came with. It will cruise at 100 mph effortlessly and quietly. BTW, it also came with 18" wheels with Conti Extreme Contact tires standard. It's also manufactured in Michigan. It's a great car and not at all torture to drive when not in the Vette. It's also a lot quicker than many cars that think they are going to outrun me. Try one, a hell of a lot better than a Cavalier. Close to 40 mpg also. Chevy small cars have come a long way and Sonic are outselling most import small cars. It gets great reviews about being the small car for people that enjoy driving a great handling car.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:35 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by striper
Obviously you haven't ridden in a Chevy small car in a long while. I have a Chevy Sonic LTZ as a second vehicle for backup and bad weather. It has a 4cyl DOHC engine with a turbo and VVT, 6 speed auto with tiptronic type feature, 4 whl discs,etc. It is also equipped with many upscale features for the price including touch screen sat radio with backup screen, nav, bluetooth, usb, leather and suede interior, and a lot more and nicer features than my Vette came with. It will cruise at 100 mph effortlessly and quietly. BTW, it also came with 18" wheels with Conti Extreme Contact tires standard. It's also manufactured in Michigan. It's a great car and not at all torture to drive when not in the Vette. It's also a lot quicker than many cars that think they are going to outrun me. Try one, a hell of a lot better than a Cavalier. Close to 40 mpg also. Chevy small cars have come a long way and Sonic are outselling most import small cars. It gets great reviews about being the small car for people that enjoy driving a great handling car.
I owned a 2011 and a 2013 Cruze LTZ. Just traded in the 2013 on a 2015 Impala LTZ. I traded my 2013 in (Had 20,000 miles on the odometer) because it had been back at the dealer 7 or 8 times for repairs. I had to have the oil pan gasket replaced, the front axle seals replaced twice, the transmission seal replaced, not to mention several other mechanical problems, all with less than 11,000 miles on the car. I traded in the 2011 on the 2013 because the automatic transmission was one of the worst I've ever had in a car. Both cars rode great and got awesome gas mileage (I got almost 37-39 mpg with the 2013 on trips,) and were well equipped for the price. I'm hoping I don't have the same problems with the Impala. I took it on a trip a couple of weeks ago and got 30 mpg, which isn't too bad for a car with only a little over 1,500 miles on the odometer.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:38 AM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 394 Posts

GM has always only been able to do v8's. The only exception to this is the gnx or whatever with the turbo 6 that may have been decent.
Some other notable V6's GM has been able to do just fine with IMO:

Of course I probably feel this way due to what's under the hood.

Quick Reply: Time to trade in the Z06...